PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg police chief

Bluesky
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
This guy is going to get a lot of flack, but I love him already for his courage..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/10/22/mb-winnipeg-police-chief-prayer-clunis.html

dancingqueen
10-25-2012, 04:42 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
Good work chief, crime rate is down now due to the power of prayer....
If an entire community tells God what to do does it become more likely?
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Your tax dollars at work Winnepeg....

Bluesky
10-25-2012, 05:04 PM
As predicted......

next?

bilbo79
10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I could respect the man if he had a real plan to solve the crime problem and the guts to see it through. More officers, more money on social programs, more education and prevention even more jail time for criminals. Any of which would have a measurable impact on the crime levels.

I dont think he's courageous in the least, anyone can flap their gums and talk about praying their problems away big deal. Bluesky might think thats courage, I think he just looks like a fool. Prayer is just an empty gesture to make you feel like your contributing something without actually getting off your ass and getting to work problem solving.

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. ~Author Unknown

Bluesky
10-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I think he is courageous because for a man in his position to talk about his personal faith, knowing the flak and criticism he would draw down is quite admirable.

To you, of course prayer is an empty gesture.
What else would it be to someone who doesn't believe in prayer? Doh!

dancingqueen
10-25-2012, 10:03 PM
To you, of course prayer is an empty gesture.
What else would it be to someone who doesn't believe in prayer? Doh!

So what does praying actually do?
If God has a plan are you changing his mind when you pray?

Bluesky
10-25-2012, 10:13 PM
You've probably forgotten that we have discussed this question before.

dancingqueen
10-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I understand how it works from an individual basis, a personal connection and whatnot, but what concrete benefits does it provide?

Bluesky
10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Prayer is a discipline that gives my faith expression. When I give my faith expression, it grows me on the inside. It gives me courage and confidence. It gets me outside of myself and my small world. It fine tunes my worldview so that I am enabled to see the people around me the way God wants me to see them -with understanding, compassion, if need be. And it opens my eyes to the needs around me.

Oh, and sometimes, God actually answers my prayers in dramatic ways, and sometimes in not so dramatic ways.
Is that enough of an answer?

Westender 3
10-25-2012, 11:38 PM
This guy is going to get a lot of flack, but I love him already for his courage..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/10/22/mb-winnipeg-police-chief-prayer-clunis.html

Why not, since it worked out so well for Governor Rick Perry,

A few months ago, with Texas aflame from more than 8,000 wildfires brought on by extreme drought, a man who hopes to be the next president took pen in hand and went to work:

“Now, therefore, I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas.”

Then the governor prayed, publicly and often. Alas, a rainless spring was followed by a rainless summer. July was the hottest month in recorded Texas history. Day after pitiless day, from Amarillo to Laredo, from Toadsuck to Twitty, folks were greeted by a hot, white bowl overhead, triple-digit temperatures, and a slow death on the land.

In the four months since Perry’s request for divine intervention, his state has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. Nearly all of Texas is now in “extreme or exceptional” drought, as classified by federal meteorologists, the worst in Texas history.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/rick-perrys-unanswered-prayers/

BFLPE
10-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Interesting...

But Arthur Schafer, an ethicist with the University of Manitoba, said Clunis should not speak so openly about his religious views while he is holding public office.

"No one chose him to be police of our souls," Schafer said.

"I think it's entirely inappropriate for a chief of police, in his role as chief of police, to be advocating prayer either to his colleagues on the police force or to the general public."

Schafer said there are many people in Winnipeg who don't hold any particular religious beliefs, and those individuals may take offence to Clunis's views.

My initial reaction...
I don't see the problem here. It isn't like he is forcing anything on anyone. It seems like a 'get to know you' interview with the man who will be taking over as Police Chief. Obviously he takes his faith seriously and there's no reason for him to hide that.

After my initial reaction I thought maybe I should look for other news articles in case I read it wrong. Interesting...

Incoming Winnipeg Police chief Devon Clunis is disappointed with media outlets which misconstrued his comments about the power of faith to fight crime to a Christian news magazine.

Clunis told local media this morning that his comments in ChristianWeek news were twisted out of context by media outlets, which suggested he thought crime could be fought by prayer alone or that he would require members of the Winnipeg Police Service to pray. WFP... (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Clunis-says-comments-on-prayer-taken-out-of-context-175639881.html?viewAllComments=y)

dancingqueen
10-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Interesting...

My initial reaction...
I don't see the problem here. It isn't like he is forcing anything on anyone. It seems like a 'get to know you' interview with the man who will be taking over as Police Chief. Obviously he takes his faith seriously and there's no reason for him to hide that.

After my initial reaction I thought maybe I should look for other news articles in case I read it wrong. Interesting...

That does put his comments into perspective. Thank you for the leg work.