PDA

View Full Version : dialup questions

Bluesky
10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I travel to Cuba every year. Each time, I bring in a laptop. I haven't used dialup for decades it seems so I have not kept up with changes in the technology.

So educate me. If I want to bring in a new laptop (they no longer have the PCMCIA SLOT) that has no built in modem, only a wireless NIC, what do I need to bring in with it to make it dial-up internet capable where no wireless internet exists for the average person?

I see there is such a thing as a USB modem now?

axalon2003
10-29-2012, 09:11 PM
You can get usb modms. There are a few here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?cat=11&keywords=usb modem for laptop&mnf=&lowprice=0&highprice=0

Copy and paste in to browser to get full search result
(fixed link)

Bill Nash
10-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I am using a US Robotics USB modem right now, ..... has never failed me.

Bluesky
10-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Bought one off Kijiji for $5. US Robotics. Thanks for the pointer.

Upper Decker
10-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Prob get a lot better speeds tethering a smart phone to your laptop. Providing you are bringing a smartphone of some sort.

Strife
10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Prob get a lot better speeds tethering a smart phone to your laptop. Providing you are bringing a smartphone of some sort.

Unless your plan enables tethering, look to give up your first born and perhaps take out a mortgage to cover the data costs.

Bluesky
11-06-2012, 09:41 AM

umm, where these laptops and USB modems are going, Smart phones won't help. :)