PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon question

really?
10-31-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a 1 month old baby pigeon on my balcony. Parents have been feeding it and all seemed well until yesterday. Two adult pigeons (can't distinguish if parents or not) have been fighting in the nest area. They are both bleeding and neither seem to be tending to the baby. The baby does not appear to recognize these two adults and neither adult is feeding the baby. Any idea as to what is going on? I keep breaking up the fight as these 2 pigeons are getting quite bloody in the face and wing area. Also, I'm worried about the baby getting fed. Thanks in advance!

really?
10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
It got worse. One of the bloodied adults starting attacking the baby so I brought it inside in a box. It appears as if one of the beat up adults is looking for it....now what?

A*lil*Loopy
10-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Get a package of Quinoa (healthy grain that you can buy at the grocery store). DO NOT feed the little one breads. They need to be able to digest their food so it needs to be either crumbles or have some sort of sand/small stone mixture in it. I have a friend with a pigeon and she loves that for breakfast. You can also buy chick starter from the Co-Op in Echo Bay but it's in a huge bag (50 lbs). I can bring you a small baggy of it if you need me to...please let me know before tomorrow morning though as I live out of town.
provide the pigeon with a quiet place inside with soft bedding...shredded paper or shavings is fine. You may have a new pet.
It is not illegal to have a pigeon as a pet, but it is against the local by-law to feed them outside. They make great pets and can be pretty territorial over your home. My friends pigeon even tries to shower with him and wakes him up in the morning if she's hungry. They are a nice bird to have and yes, you can buy diapers for them if you need to.
You can PM me if you'd like and I can see if my friend would be willing to give you any pointers.

really?
10-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Thank you for your generous offer Loopy, but I am in the Ottawa area. I made a few phone calls and there is a wild bird centre nearby that will take the bird. I have a cat, so I dont think it would be wise to keep the pigeon. Everything was going so well until the attack. Wish I knew what provoked it? Thank you again for your response.

A*lil*Loopy
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Would've been a hell of a drive to drop it off! Glad you found a place for it. Could have been males fighting I guess.
Hopefully all goes well.