PDA

View Full Version : What is this going to do for Canada?

Igor
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Really makes me wonder what the future will hold for Canada?

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=49325

Lance1
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
My CIBC ATM already has Chinese's as a language option.(Not French) LOL

Asparas
11-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Get ready to learn Chinese so we can understand our soon to be overlords.

Bluesky
11-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Oh good. Pull up a chair. Get ready for another redneck thread.

The Left Sock
11-03-2012, 09:42 AM
If you don't believe that the overwhelming level of Chinese wealth and influence is going to fundamentally change the world we live in, you just might be a redneck!

How did it come to be, that Russians fight over ten year old Levi's, and the French fell in love with Jerry Lewis? American pop culture all over the world happened as a result of American wealth and influence. Anyone who doesn't think the same thing will happen with the Chinese is well, living in the past. It's not so bad - I love Chinese food!

lynys
11-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Real Chinese food, or the stuff WE think is real???

8th
11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
the yummy msg kind

Roll The Bones
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
reminds me of the fear-mongering by many when NAFTA was signed...

Barry Morris
11-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Good point.

KDawg
11-03-2012, 10:59 PM
One of those fear mongers was Ross Perot, who ran for the US presidency in 1992. He opposed NAFTA because there would be a "giant sucking sound" of jobs flowing out of the US to lower wage countries...remember that phrase?

As we sit here in 2012, turns out that Perot was right.

Barry Morris
11-04-2012, 08:42 AM
One of those fear mongers was Ross Perot, who ran for the US presidency in 1992. He opposed NAFTA because there would be a "giant sucking sound" of jobs flowing out of the US to lower wage countries...remember that phrase?

As we sit here in 2012, turns out that Perot was right.

NAFTA did that??

KDawg
11-04-2012, 09:02 AM
NAFTA did that??
Yes.

Since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was signed in 1993, the rise in the U.S. trade deficit with Canada and Mexico through 2002 has caused the displacement of production that supported 879,280 U.S. jobs. Most of those lost jobs were high-wage positions in manufacturing industries. The loss of these jobs is just the most visible tip of NAFTA’s impact on the U.S. economy. In fact, NAFTA has also contributed to rising income inequality, suppressed real wages for production workers, weakened workers’ collective bargaining powers and ability to organize unions, and reduced fringe benefits.
NAFTA is a free trade and investment agreement that provided investors with a unique set of guarantees designed to stimulate foreign direct investment and the movement of factories within the hemisphere, especially from the United States to Canada and Mexico. Furthermore, no protections were contained in the core of the agreement to maintain labor or environmental standards. As a result, NAFTA tilted the economic playing field in favor of investors, and against workers and the environment, resulting in a hemispheric “race to the bottom” in wages and environmental quality.
http://www.epi.org/publication/briefingpapers_bp147/

That article was from 2003. Look at the manufacturing sector in the US today. It's pretty obvious that this article was right and that Perot was right in 1992.

Barry Morris
11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
So the assumption is that all the jobs lost went to Canada or Mexico??

Igor
11-04-2012, 09:36 AM
In my opinion, NAFTA, has caused more harm than good for Canada. Where have all the manufacturing jobs gone from Canada? Where have all the paper mills gone? Ontario used to be a HAVE province and now it has become a HAVE NOT province. We used to be able to buy shoes and clothing that was made in Canada. Now where is the clothing made? NAFTA helped someone but I do believe Canada got screwed!

Go ahead and joke. I worry what is in store for the Canada I used to know! It will change and I would bet this is NOT going to be good for Canada! I hope I am wrong for my children and their children sakes.

OH CANADA.....strong and FREE.

The Left Sock
11-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Manufacturing jobs are one thing, but Harper selling out the rights of our oilsands to the Chinese will create a sucking sound that will pull the rug right out from under our stability as a nation. I hope his buddies make a killing off of this, because the country as a whole will be paying the price for it, for a long time to come.