PDA

View Full Version : WiFi and connectivity

Bluesky
11-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Looking for some help here.
My internet connection is with Rogers. I have a Wireless linksys router and a Rogers modem.

Sometimes our laptops stay connected for days on end. But then sometimes I will have to reset my router and modem 2-3 times a day.

What is going on with the wireless router that makes me lose the connection? This has plagues me ever since wireless technology became a reality.

And of course the pat answer from Rogers is, Reset your router and modem.

Bluesky
11-08-2012, 02:31 PM
No answers? Does everyone have this problem? Or no one?

Hans
11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Try resetting your modem only next time it happens.

Bluesky
11-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Will do. I'll let you know if it works next time it happens.

Hans
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I know when I had Bell DSL, there was a setting in the DSL modem that would disconnect the DSL connection if no activity was detected for x amount of time.
I set that to always stay connected.

Bluesky
11-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I haven't dropped the connections since I last reset the modem and router. ;0
Just like when I bring my car to the mechanic, it stops misbehaving!

NewCasa
11-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I am with Shaw and had a similar problem. It was a major pain. Finally, one of the techs at Future Shop let me know that the new wireless hubs are pretty cheaply made and only last about a year, then start having reliability problems like these. He also told me that the particular brand and model of hub I was using was known to conflict with the internet modem in use by Shaw. Anyway, I bought a new hub and $100+ later and the problem was fixed. For now.

Nihilistic Heathen
11-13-2012, 02:41 PM
You could try setting the channel in the router to something other than auto. We had a similar problem here once in a while our wireless phone would cause our wireless connection to drop.

Bluesky
11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
I use a Linksys. Under which tab(s) would I find that setting?

Under the tab Setup>Basic Setup I have Automatic Configuration-DHCP

Under the Wireless>advanced wireless I have
Authentication type - Auto
Transmission rate - Auto

Those are the only options in which I find the word Auto or Automatic

Hans
11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
what model # of linksys?

Bluesky
11-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Last night and this morning I lost the connection several times. Resetting JUST the modem did not solve the problem. But rebooting my laptop did. So the problem lies somewhere in the laptop.. any new ideas