PDA

View Full Version : Report: Apple Looks to Ditch Intel Chips in Macs for ARM

Hans
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29119

Intel is feeling more and more pressure from ARM. ARM is already used in many smartphones, with Intel not having much of an alternative.

AMD is starting to switch to ARM, Microsoft has a Windows 8 version for ARM.
Intel might be in hot water in the coming months.

Upper Decker
11-10-2012, 01:03 PM
This is just Apple can reap even larger profits off Macs...

Charge the same prices when the compenents will be 60% cheaper. Kinda curious how apple plans on making an ARM chip with enough grunt to keep up with an i5/i7.

Hans
11-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I think that is where AMD is going to come in. AMD also has the benefit of having a complete line of GPU solutions available.
Apple could make more profit if they can get a complete solution from AMD.

Upper Decker
11-11-2012, 05:00 PM
AMD lacks the horsepower needed for video and audio dev. Unless apple gets on the bandwagon of optimizing the OS to run with multicore processing properly I can see that being a very very bad move for them. The IPC performance just isn't there. Sure the average user wont have issues, but those needing raw power are going to end up transitioning to PC to get the performance they need.

Curious if Apple will pass on the huge savings from using considerably cheaper hardware now. Not likely though.

Hans
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
According to a source claiming to be familiar with negotiations between the companies, Samsung increased the price of processors it provides the Apple by 20%.

"Samsung Electronics recently asked Apple for a significant price raise in (the mobile processor known as) application processor," the person was quoted as saying in the report. "Apple first disapproved it, but finding no replacement supplier, it accepted the (increase.)"

One last tidbit the source noted was that Samsung has a long-term contract to provide the application processors to Apple that runs through 2014. Neither Apple nor Samsung have officially commented.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29166

I think AMD based on ARM design is sounding better today than last week...