PDA

View Full Version : Shaws new super hight speed is it worth it?

Lance1
11-13-2012, 02:06 PM
I have Shaw's high speed Internet and it seems pretty good but they mailed me saying the have some kind of Ultra High speed now for only $5 or $10 more ,is it worth it would I notice any difference with web pages loading and things?

Do i i need a new modem if I do it?
My modem is 3 years old, blue in color it is a Motorola SB5102.

Asparas
11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
It depends what you have and what you're upgrading to. If you have regular high speed and you're upgrading to one of the new Broadband plans then yes you'll need a new modem. However I think if you're sticking with High Speed 25 or under (those are the plans that are only $5 apart) then you should be fine. However Shaw will provide you with a new modem, even if you currently own yours.

In regards to the worth of upgrading, the difference lies mostly in the allowed bandwidth you're given for uploading and downloading. Yes your downloads will be a tad faster than before (unless you're going from high speed 25 to one of the broadband plans then there's considerable difference). Now the thing you need to ask yourself is do you use it? If you download or stream media off the internet then yes it's a worthwile upgrade. If all you do is browse the internet and watch YouTube, then probably not.

Lance1
11-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I just have regular High Speed that I had for 10 years,back then they only offered two choices, slow speed or high speed there was no other options.

Hans
11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
If you download a lot or stream movies from youtube etc... the 100 mbit/sec plan is awesome.
Will make no difference for webpages etc... compared to 10 or 25 mbit/sec.

OU812
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
the other thing to mention is the download limit. i went to ultra because i was being told i exceeded download limits too often.

Hans
12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Their download meter is the most inaccurate tool I have ever come across.
It always shows way less data than what I actually download.
Not that I am complaining, but if you are going to use a tool to track network data at least make it work properly.