PDA

View Full Version : Yuletide Tea & Bazaar

KDawg
11-21-2012, 08:40 AM
At this time of year, churches and other groups have their Christmas Tea & Bazaars. I was leafing through one of our local classified magazines and saw an ad for a Yuletide Tea and Bazaar for the United Church.

When did supposedly Christian churches stop using the word Christmas and replace it with PC terms?

Barry Morris
11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
That's a characteristic of the United Church, not mine.

The Left Sock
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
So the United Church is not 'supposedly' Christian? They consider themselves Christian, non-Christians consider them Christian, so the answer 'that's not characteristic of my church', is not a real answer to the question.

Barry Morris
11-21-2012, 09:37 AM
OK, "When did supposedly Christian churches stop using the word Christmas and replace it with PC terms?"

The United Church did it because they don't put Christ first anymore. Because they no longer have any standards to define what they mean by Christian. Because they want to be more "accepting", and since they are, among other things, their attendance goes in the dumper, while churches where being a Christian really means something thrive and grow.

So, "supposedly" is the right term.

That help??

The Left Sock
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
"The United Church did it because they don't put Christ first anymore"

Well, I can see how that might be one way to look at it, but is that really a literally factual statement? I mean, they aren't going to stop using the Bible, stop teaching about Christ, after all. If they aren't putting Christ first, who are they putting up front? Allah? Gandhi?

I think a more reasonable explanation is that they are taking an inclusive approach, which means that when they are simply selling crafts and baked goods, they don't feel a need to throw down a political gauntlet by making a political stand. They don't care if non-Christians attend their event; in fact, it appears as though they are deliberately encouraging it.

Of course there are going to be Christians running the tables. Of course there will be religious themes and symbolism in some of the things they sell at the bazaar. Maybe, just maybe, people who are skiddish about organized religion will feel welcome enough to attend. Maybe they will start up a conversation with someone from the Church. Maybe they will extend an invite for that person to drop by and check out a service. Maybe, by using a carrot instead of a political stick, they will promote their organization in a way that is welcoming to all.

Or, you can take the separatist approach, make a political point of keeping the 'Christ' in Christmas, and you can spend the day selling crafts and baked goods to other like-minded Christians, because everyone else is too shy to show up, because they feel as though they will be intruding, and don't fit the 'criteria' for participation in such an event.

Two schools of thought, both lead down different paths.

Barry Morris
11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
"...everyone else is too shy to show up,..."

But which churches are expanding??

"...Two schools of thought, both lead down different paths..."

Yes they do, and the evangelical churches, making sure that being a Christian means something, go down a path to long term life for the local church.

Go to a United Church. Look at the gray heads Sunday morning, and check out the population of the Sunday school and nursery. Then check one of the evangelical churches, Baptist, Bretheren, Pentecostal, etc. Almost without exception, you will see a major difference in future possibilities.

The Left Sock
11-21-2012, 11:29 PM
If expansionism is the essence of good religion, then you must be a big admirer of the Muslims.

Barry Morris
11-22-2012, 09:31 AM
We're not talking about Muslims.

You were condemning parts of the Christian church and saying that more people would come if they were less rigid in their beliefs. The opposite is clearly true.

The Left Sock
11-22-2012, 09:35 AM
No, actually I was comparing marketing strategies for a bake sale.

Barry Morris
11-22-2012, 09:39 AM
No, actually I was comparing marketing strategies for a bake sale.

And that's why you mentioned the bible and Christ??

Stop shovelling while I can still breathe!!!

The Left Sock
11-22-2012, 09:47 AM
That was in response to you suggesting that the United Church 'doesn't put Christ first anymore', because they called their event a 'Yuletide Bazaar'. Unless they change the name of their deity to 'Yule', and hand out copies of 'Scrooge' instead of the Bible, your statement was not literally, factually true.

Stop making silly claims, and I'll stop burying you in the sandbox.

Barry Morris
11-22-2012, 11:35 AM
That was in response to you suggesting that the United Church 'doesn't put Christ first anymore', because they called their event a 'Yuletide Bazaar'. Unless they change the name of their deity to 'Yule', and hand out copies of 'Scrooge' instead of the Bible, your statement was not literally, factually true.

Stop making silly claims, and I'll stop burying you in the sandbox.

Guess your "literal" is clear to you, anyway.

Bluesky
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
One must examine the beliefs of the United Church to determine this question. You're both shovelling, until you go to their official documents and show what they actually believe as a denomination. Then, each individual church needs to be examined on its own merits. Some United Churches are fervent in their love for Christ. Others are as cold as a witches udder.

You cannot determine their spiritual state by how they choose to label their bake sale. Please shoot me..

The Left Sock
11-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, it all comes down to how certain Christian churches run a negative campaign against their own kind, yet they are sure to include them in statistics of how many Christians there are in the world, when it suits them.

You can't have it both ways.

KDawg
11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, it all comes down to how certain Christian churches run a negative campaign against their own kind, yet they are sure to include them in statistics of how many Christians there are in the world, when it suits them.

You can't have it both ways.
Where have you seen, read or heard such campaigns? Serious, public ones...not you over-hearing two rednecks talking on the street corner.

The Left Sock
11-24-2012, 06:29 PM
"Where have you seen, read or heard such campaigns?"

Ever heard of the Christian fundamentalist movement? Railing against Catholics, the United Church, any Christian who endorses gay marriage, etc,...

You don't have to wait around on a street corner to hear it. They have this neat invention now called the internet. Seriously, I have been a member here for a decade, and you as well. Really, you have to ask a goofy question like that?

Obviously, you haven't concerned yourself with the Religion discussions taking place over the years, or you would have a truckload of evidence, instead of silly questions.

Barry Morris
11-24-2012, 07:34 PM
YOUR truck load of evidence obviously sourced a farm somewhere.