PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 or not

Igor
11-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Thinking of getting my wife a laptop for Christmas! Asus? Windows 8 or Windows 7? She is used to Windows XP!

8th
11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
windows7

Upper Decker
11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Depends, if she is going from xp then 8 might work out well for her. Win 8 wasnt bad perse , its just different.

Igor
11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
She has only been on XP. She plays games on Facebook and does photoshop stuff! There is an ASUS for $649 at Staples but it is Windows 8. I am not computer savvy either! Any info will help! Thanks!

Harry Bulzonya
11-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Once you get used to windows 8 it's pretty neat

Asparas
11-28-2012, 10:03 AM
You can even set it up to have the old desktop look with a taskbar and start icon if you don't like the new "metro" style they have. I've heard good things about it. I'm just not in a rush to upgrade.

Hans
11-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I used it once, I was rather annoyed with it.
If you are planning on using a web browser or e-mail client under metro it becomes rather clumsy on a desktop.
The experience is comparable to using a program on a phone, without the touch screen part and a much larger display.

Igor
11-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I am leaning towards the windows 7 but really not sure. Any suggestions on make of laptop? Maybe I will forget the whole idea. Thanks for the info.

Asparas
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I've had good luck with my last Toshiba and current Samsung.
Try and steer clear of Acer Dell Compaq HP and Gateway.
Sony's Ok but are rather expensive for what you get. Lenovo's are decent too but their price point might not be the best.

Igor
11-29-2012, 07:28 PM
What about ASUS? Do you know anything about touch screen? Decisions decisions and more decisions!

Hans
11-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Unless you like to clean your screen from fingerprints everyday, I would not use a touch screen for every day use.

H.E. Pennypacker
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
bought an Asus netbook at least 4 years ago and have had no problems using it. I still use it daily.

Asparas
12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
While Asus is nice, netbooks aren't for everybody. I personally hate them. Their laptops are nice but can be on the higher end of the pricing scale sometimes.

Touch screen isn't what it's all cracked up to be. My laptop has a touch screen and I rarely use it. It's not that responsive and just gets really dirty. This is a primary reason that Windows 8 Metro doesn't appeal to me. That and I think the interface is just plain ugly and cluttered.

H.E. Pennypacker
12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
While Asus is nice, netbooks aren't for everybody. I personally hate them. Their laptops are nice but can be on the higher end of the pricing scale sometimes.

Touch screen isn't what it's all cracked up to be. My laptop has a touch screen and I rarely use it. It's not that responsive and just gets really dirty. This is a primary reason that Windows 8 Metro doesn't appeal to me. That and I think the interface is just plain ugly and cluttered.

not suggesting netbook over laptop. two very different machines. Just pointing out that my Asus netbook has been reliable. In fact, the Asus motherboard I installed in my PC that I built in 2005 is still working great too.

Asparas
12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
not suggesting netbook over laptop. two very different machines. Just pointing out that my Asus netbook has been reliable. In fact, the Asus motherboard I installed in my PC that I built in 2005 is still working great too.

Of course they are good. I have an ASUS tablet and my inlaw has a netbook from them. Both great devices. They certainly have proven themselves over the years that's for sure.