PDA

View Full Version : do ip hiding programs work?

OU812
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
i was reading that they will be monitoring people downloading movies and mp3's . and dishing out hefty fines. is there an advantage to an app that hides ip's? i have grown fond of downloading movies and watching them at my convenience.
my next question is if shaw is handing that info to law enforcement, why would i pay for ultra speed? i got it origonaly to increase download limit and get movies faster.

opinionated
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
You're asking for help on something that is illegal, not to mention they have been "monitoring" people downloading movies and mp3's for some time now. Just let me say this:

It is almost impossible to hide yourself on the internet. Chances are the guys looking for you are much more computer savvy and have the technology to get around anything you do.

If you don't want to have to worry, then get your movies legally. If you pay for ultra speed internet, that means you can stream movies. Netflix.ca, zip.ca, Shaw has video on demand. Even YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/YouTubeMoviesCA) has streaming movies both paid and free.

If you don't want to get movies legally, then you just have to put up with the risk. It is still small, but it is always there. Any "IP hiding" programs you get will only serve to slow down your internet connection.

opinionated
12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
crackle.com too

OU812
12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
streaming it is!

Hans
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
You will need a sock 5 proxy, but it would bring your speed down.
Whoever owns the sock 5 proxy will still know your originating IP.
So you would basically need to tunnel your connection using several sock 5 proxy's in a row.
While feasible, not a good solution due to slow network speed.

Another way would be to use the onion router network or TOR for short.
However, you are not supposed to use that for streaming or data traffic.
It's intended to browse anonymously.

No matter what you use, there's always a "risk".

If you want to somewhat protect yourself from prying eyes, you could use a service called realdebrid and enable HTTPS for all your downloads.
They basically download files for you, and you download it from them.
So technically speaking you don't download the files directly.
Realdebrid still knows who you are, but it's a bit more private since the sites that host the content don't see your IP ever.