PDA

View Full Version : Pope resigns -historic

Bluesky
02-11-2013, 07:56 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/11/pope-resigns-live-reaction

dancingqueen
02-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I didn't know the pope "could" resign, aren't they selected by God?

The Left Sock
02-11-2013, 09:48 AM
I think it is just a clever power-play, so that he can influence the choice of successor. Either that, or there is a skeleton (extra) in his closet, that the Vatican wants to get behind them, before he actually croaks holding the reigns of power.

Those are my two picks for the reasons he quit. Either that, or Sarah Palin somehow got past security, and filled his head with ideas about replacing her on Fox News..

Upper Decker
02-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Im actually really curious to find out whats really going on behind this. Health issues I thought werent supposed to be an issue, as they were "bearing the wounds of christ" so to speak. John Paul II was in far worse health than this and never stepped down. Hell he didnt step down after being shot.

RWGR
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Guy's a piece of trash.

Good riddance.

Translation: "Can't find anything wrong with the guy, so I resort to my schoolyard tactics"

The Pope wins :)

RWGR
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Im actually really curious to find out whats really going on behind this. Health issues I thought werent supposed to be an issue, as they were "bearing the wounds of christ" so to speak. John Paul II was in far worse health than this and never stepped down. Hell he didnt step down after being shot.

What passes for knowledge about Catholicism here is actually breathtaking.

Canon Law absolutely allows for the stepping-down of a pope.

But why reference Canon Law when ignorance allows for better conspiracy theories??

Bluesky
02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Until there are reasons to not take his given reasons at face value, I will believe what he said. He is getting too old for the job. I think thisis admirable. Not hanging on to what could become a mere figurehead position. The less functional he becomes, the more others behind the scene will be the decision makers and power brokers. He smelled the coffee, and decided to leave the office now. Kudos on him.

RWGR
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
I truly believe he was a reluctant pope from day one. What shoes to fill: those of Pope JP II.

JPII loved crowds and the sher business of the office suited him very well, until his last few years. Ratzinger was always more of a deep thinker who preferred the solitude of his books and study.

Now, the next pope, where will he come from? I believe Latin America and Africa are the front-runners, though some online site this morning had the most favorable odds with Cardinal Ouellet of Quebec. But then again, betting on odds for the next pope is a tad different than betting on the Super Bowl champion.

RWGR
02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Ooops, Blunt continues to promote the fallacy the pope was "chosen by God". The pope was chosen by a conclave of cardinals, who always hope they are led by the Holy Spirit in their choice.

And I ask Blunt: did God tell you any pope he chooses must serve until death? If so, we could get you on the talk show circuit the next few weeks and make some serious cash.

What say you, brother??

RWGR
02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Which is weird, because those pedos are all cut from the same cloth. (pun intended)

Atheist pedos are cut from the same cloth as Christian pedos?

do go on ...

RWGR
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm promoting a fallacy for ****s and giggles, and because it saddens you.

Believe me, we're all aware that no one in the Catholic Church has ever been hand picked, or inspired by God.

Your anger tells me you've been irritated by attempting to cast the Catholic Church in a negative light, and being very unsuccessful.

I will leave you alone if you'd like, so as not to irritate you more.

Upper Decker
02-11-2013, 05:30 PM
What passes for knowledge about Catholicism here is actually breathtaking.

But why reference Canon Law when ignorance allows for better conspiracy theories??

Never mentioned any conspiracy theory. I know being american means you wont use your brain without being spoon fed instructions numerous times to use and still not getting it right.

But its the first time in 600 years, and even then only 5 have total have stepped down. And might I mention that the last pope that stepped down was due to scandal. The rest have stayed in position right to end. I briefly looked over canon law and those who stepped down. Is the catholic encyclopedia a good place to be citing from?

RWGR
02-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Never mentioned any conspiracy theory.

Of course you didn't mention it outright; but you inferred as much. I understand you don't want to admit as much, because it shows a very gullible personality, and an inability to want to educate oneself. You're better than that.

I know being american means you wont use your brain without being spoon fed instructions numerous times to use and still not getting it right.

I understand you're not proud to be Canadian. But let's keep this on track. Thanks.

But its the first time in 600 years, and even then only 5 have total have stepped down.

Which means it doesn't happen often. What else does it mean?

And might I mention that the last pope that stepped down was due to scandal

Which means the last pope to step down was due to scandal. What else does it mean? How does it reflect on the current scenario in any way?

The rest have stayed in position right to end

Which means the rest stayed until the end. What else does it mean? How does it reflect on Ratzinger's decision, a decision he hinted to early on in his papacy?

I briefly looked over canon law

Wonderful! And, it's where you should have started. Going there half-way though is a bit amateurish.

Is the catholic encyclopedia a good place to be citing from?

If it's the site I'm thinking of, it is a very good source.

In addition, this comment: "Health issues I thought werent supposed to be an issue, as they were "bearing the wounds of christ" so to speak"

You're taking a very cursory view of the Catholic theology concerning suffering and pain. It is a detailed and deep theology, and you need to look into it further if you really want to know what it is and what is says.

JPII viewed his end-of-life frailty as a gift form God, and called it a pleasure to serve the Kingdom of God until his last breath. Ratzinger, while understanding the Catholic theology on suffering very well, does not feel he could do the office justice as his advanced age continues to plague him, so to speak.

JPII felt he could serve until death. Ratzinger does not feel he can admirably serve until death. All that proves is each man has been given different gifts, and each man discerned those gifts as best they could.

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
-1 Cor 12 4-6

RWGR
02-11-2013, 05:56 PM
This Twitter photo from today will no doubt get the anti-papacy crowd into a tizzy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BC2h8wiCcAEuA05.jpg#PHOTO: Lightning strikes St Peter's dome at #Vatican on day the #Pope announced resignation, by Filippo Monteforte pic.twitter.com/FehVjFYP
9:06 PM - 11 Feb 13

RWGR
02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
The amazing intellect of Richard Dawkins was out in full force today on his Twitter account:

@RichardDawkins

I feel sorry for the Pope and all old Catholic priests. Imagine having a wasted life to look back on and no sex.
2:35 PM - 11 Feb 13

Immature, lacking even a modicum of intelligence ...just like Blunt's responses here.

Coincidence?

Hardly.

dancingqueen
02-11-2013, 06:35 PM

I stand corrected, I admit I thought differently because I may have heard it from someone, although I don't know very many people that are Catholic, and thus my knowledge is quite limited.

Hans
02-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I think this is a clear reflection on how we attach to much to the office of Pope.
They are just another person, regardless of all the titles and powers we bestow upon them.

SSMP
02-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I did NAZI this coming.

KDawg
02-17-2013, 06:08 PM
A letter by the Secretary of the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State alleges Pope Benedict XVI is asking the Italian government to grant him protection and immunity from legal prosecution. On Thursday, the ITCCS issued a statement (http://itccs.org/2013/02/14/pope-benedict-to-seek-immunity-and-protection-from-italian-president-giorgio-napolitano-on-february-23/) saying the Pope has requested to meet with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano on February 23rd. The Vatican Information Service (http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=124077) has confirmed that the Pope is scheduled to meet with Napolitano on the 23rd. The ITCCS claims the Pope sought the meeting to ask for immunity from prosecution The ITCCS claims the Pope sought the meeting to ask for immunity from prosecution by the Italian government.

The letter goes on to point to "documented" crimes of child trafficking and torture, alleging that the crimes are linked to the Pope Benedict and other Vatican officials.Maybe Pope Benedict is retiring for health reasons, maybe he is not.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343606

Misschix
02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Guy's a piece of trash.

Good riddance.

That comment is absolutely disgusting!!!! nobody knows the health reasons nor is it our business.... but to say he is a piece of trash? I.m catholic and i find that comment severely offensive!!!!!

The Left Sock
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Here is another potential log in the Vatican bonfire:

http://news.yahoo.com/did-cross-dressing-priest-sex-ring-bring-down-174300640--politics.html

Unsubstantiated to this point, but when dealing with the secrecy within the Vatican, how much 'straight' (pun inserted) news could you expect?

The Voice
02-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Here is another potential log in the Vatican bonfire:

http://news.yahoo.com/did-cross-dressing-priest-sex-ring-bring-down-174300640--politics.html

Unsubstantiated to this point, but when dealing with the secrecy within the Vatican, how much 'straight' (pun inserted) news could you expect?

New Rule: Religious people are not allowed to pick on other religious people.

The Left Sock
02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm not 'religious', and not picking on religious people, just a religious institution.

Ah, who am I kidding - I'm just being a scandal who're!

RWGR
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
I find it severely offensive that Joseph Ratzinger did everything in his power to keep child rapists from being caught by the police.

Proof? Source??

Anapeg
02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Proof? Source??

Of course you would have missed all the hoop la over the Chicago deal, what with you head in the sand and all.

RWGR
02-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Of course you would have missed all the hoop la over the Chicago deal, what with you head in the sand and all.

Show me where "The Chicago deal" is proof of Ratzinger being guilty of the things he is being accused of here.

And, glad to see you are once again concerned about sex abuse. When its teachers, Protestants, or the secular world, your 'concern' mysteriously vanishes.

Strange, that

Anapeg
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Show me where "The Chicago deal" is proof of Ratzinger being guilty of the things he is being accused of here.

And, glad to see you are once again concerned about sex abuse. When its teachers, Protestants, or the secular world, your 'concern' mysteriously vanishes.

Strange, that

Now you are being deliberately obtuse. Also attacking myself does little good defending your Pope. Try directing your anger toward the debate rather than trying to redirect. Keep saying over and over quietly to yourself, focus, focus, focus..................

Hans
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
The former archbishop of San Francisco said Monday that Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony has a rightful place among Vatican officials who will choose the next pope, even though Mahony has been battered in recent days by disclosures about his role in covering up clergy sex abuse.

Mahony left for Rome over the weekend after recently released church documents showed he had covered up for other priests who raped and molested children.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/25/cardinal-says-fellow-cardinal-accused-sex-abuse-should-help-elect-new-pope/?test=latestnews#ixzz2LxpnZrVb

It just shows you how far out of touch with the modern world the top leaders in the Roman Catholic Church are.
They seem to think very little of public image, or the public's opinion and ability to think.

The Left Sock
02-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Allegations of priests stealing Vatican money to hire transvestite hookers in Rome, allegations of priests sexually abusing priesthood students, allegations of priests protecting child molesters in their ranks...

Wow, from all of the news reports coming out of Rome these days, it certainly appears as though the whole 'celibacy' thing is working out well!

hobo
03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Maybe Pope Benedict is retiring for health reasons, maybe he is not.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343606

http://americablog.com/2013/02/pope-resignation-update-ri-judges-ruling-forces-release-of-legion-of-christ-docs.html

official soonet pu$$ycat
03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
This pope seems too cool to be a pope. I like it.

The Left Sock
03-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Although I am not particularly fond of the Catholic Church on a number of levels, I do find this new Pope to be a refreshing change, that might help improve my opinion of the whole institution.

A Pope from Latin America, a Jesuit, a champion of the poor, a guy who takes the name Francis... what's not to like?

Of course, politically this Pope carries some of the same baggage the Church has been lugging around, namely fierce opposition to birth control and gay marriage, but if Pope Francis focuses his efforts on world-wide poverty and suffering, and doesn't make these other issues a dominant part of his agenda, I think we are all in for a pleasant surprise.

I will reserve judgment on this Pope, until I get a chance to see his first few big moves. But so far, I like what I see.

official soonet pu$$ycat
03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
He carries his own luggage. How cool is that.

The Left Sock
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
He also cooks his own meals, takes a bus instead of being chauffeured around, and lived in a small apartment, instead of a posh Cardinal pad.

This guy is different. Hope the Vatican doesn't spoil that part of him.

RWGR
03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Geez, this pope may make life difficult for our anti-Catholic bigots. Let's hope not.

Anapeg
03-18-2013, 09:55 PM
We can but hope, and that is in sincerity.

The Voice
03-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Geez, this pope may make life difficult for our anti-Catholic bigots. Let's hope not.

Not a chance.

But I am pretty sure in your heart of hearts you knew that.

The Left Sock
03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Funny, no one has said anything bad about this new Pope, yet some people are still jockeying to go negative.

How sad is it, when the greatest development in the Catholic Church for over a generation falls on the deaf ears of the very people who should be basking in the hopeful glow of a new beginning?

Bluesky
03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
What was the greatest development on the Catholic church in over a generation?? Did I miss something?

Anapeg
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
What was the greatest development on the Catholic church in over a generation?? Did I miss something?

Fear not, nothing was missed. When they finally get something right they publicize it loud and proud.

The Left Sock
03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
The selection of this new Pope is the greatest development of the Catholic Church in this generation.

Thought it was obvious.

Anapeg
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
The selection of this new Pope is the greatest development of the Catholic Church in this generation.

Thought it was obvious.

That is one hell of a presumption, he has done the grand sum total of nothing to this point. I would reserve judgement until he makes his MO more obvious. The Church last apologized for some wrong done in 1063 or around there so until they come up to at least 2000 one can but surmise.

The Left Sock
03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
This Pope is going to re-energize the Catholic Church in a way that has not been seen, in most of our lifetimes.

Other Popes may have tried to repair the past, I have a strong feeling that this Pope is going to be focused on the present, and the future.

If my estimations are correct, this guy is going to be a rock star. Catholics have a reason to be proud now, in the face of many years of negative news. The momentum will be palpable. Catholics are hungry for a chance to feel good about the Church again, and this guy is going to deliver that to them.

This new energy that will come to the Catholic faith, will be far more meaningful than any centuries-old apology, or vague references to new directives. This guy is going to lead by example, and that will have a much larger fundamental impact on the Catholic Church, than any tired rhetoric could accomplish.

Anapeg
03-22-2013, 06:41 PM
We shall see what we shall see, as a Catholic I lack your optimism for I can not judge what has not been done and have only history to compare.

The Left Sock
03-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, if you look at what the 14th Dalai Lama has done for Buddhism throughout the world, you should get a good idea of what Pope Francis will do for Catholicism. That's a comparison that can be made now.

Anapeg
03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Well, if you look at what the 14th Dalai Lama has done for Buddhism throughout the world, you should get a good idea of what Pope Francis will do for Catholicism. That's a comparison that can be made now.

The Pope looks no taller standing on the shoulders of the Dalai Lama, he has yet to do anything of note to warrant the adulation you have want to heap on him. I will wait and see. Promises and might be's are cheap and many a road has been paved with them. A man deserves no credit for what he may do but solely for what he has done.

The Voice
03-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Whatever Same Old Same Old.

This guy is no different then any of the rest of them.

He kind of reminds me of Meyer Lansky.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/four-unresolved-questions-hovering-around-the-new-pope/article10181976/