PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Question

RWGR
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God? Seems there is no easy answer here, and both sides make cogent points:

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2013/06/no-the-god-of-the-qurrsquoan-is-not-the-god-of-the-bible

The Voice
06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Do Christians and Muslims worship the same God? Seems there is no easy answer here, and both sides make cogent points:

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2013/06/no-the-god-of-the-qurrsquoan-is-not-the-god-of-the-bible

There is a clear answer and you know it.

The one true god the god of Abraham.

The Voice
06-18-2013, 01:57 PM
I know Hamas is happy to kill for him.

I just came across this on MSN's Home page.

If you don't find this disturbing then you need to get a grip on reality.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/video.aspx?cp-documentid=4dae06c1-8677-4e5c-9b1a-b35ef5ca1a53

RWGR
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
There is a clear answer and you know it.

The one true god the god of Abraham.

You still haven't answered the question

Bluesky
06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
I did not read the article, but here is what I think.
To determine the identity of someone, it is often not enough just to make the determination by one name. One looks for distinguishing characteristics. If there are two bodies in a morgue, waiting to be identified, both name Jim Jones, one looks next at distinguishing characteristics. Perhaps one has a tattoo, one does not. They LOOK different, because they have differing characteristics.

Very simply, if the characteristics (or attributes) of Allah and of God are identical, then they worship the same God, and on that basis, I would say that Jews and Christians worship the same God. If I say that I worship God, and then describe something that sounds more like Hitchen's flying spaghetti monster, then I will not be able to rightfully claim that I worship the same God as you do.

So my next question would be, How does the Koran describe the God whom they worship? What are his characteristics?

And the next question is, "Does God recognize their worship?" But that is an entirely different question.

RWGR
06-20-2013, 05:35 PM
So, you seem to be of the same mindset as me on the issue: there is no clear answer; both sides can make convincing cases, IMO.

The Left Sock
06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
"I would say that Jews and Christians worship the same God."

I don't think you can claim that.

The Jews (non-messianic) deny that Christ was the Messiah. Christians revolve their entire belief systems around the fact that Jesus died for their sins, and was resurrected.

So, I don't see how Jews and Christians worship the same God, when the Jews deny that the Christian God is actually God.

The Left Sock
06-24-2013, 03:48 PM
So as a footnote to the above post, if the Jews can be considered to worship the same God as the Christians, despite the fact that they deny Jesus was the Messiah, then I can make a fairly strong argument that the Muslims worship the same God as both the Jews and the Christians.

That is, if a common history is the only qualifying criteria.

Bluesky
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I did not claim that a common history is a qualifying criterion. I said that a common understanding of what God is like in His character would be the qualifying criterion. And their understanding of the characteristics of God and the Christians lean heavily on the Jewish Scriptures.

They fact that they reject the Trinity is a problem, of course, but yet the Jews of the Old Testament did not have this aspect of God revealed to them, and certainly God accepted their worship. So there are two questions to grapple with.

1. Is it the same God that is worshiped?
2. Is that worship received i.e.valid?

The Left Sock
06-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Question 1. The answer is no. Christians pray to Jesus, Jews do not.

Question 2. There is no way for humans to know whether worship is received, so there is no way to determine validity.

The Voice
06-25-2013, 08:35 PM
This is priceless Abraham is the Common denominator.

I wonder why they call all three Abrahamic religions.

Hmm?

The old testament is common to all three, or at least relevant.

Hmm?

You guys are right it is a different god.

Best part is they are killing each other for him?