PDA

View Full Version : Too Casual for Church

RWGR
06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Agree with him or not, you have to admit this priest has a creative sense of humor

The priest of Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Hammond, LA, would like for his parishioners to know:

[from the parish bulletin]

PLANS FOR PARISH SWIMMING POOL SCRAPPED!

After much study, our finance committee has determined it would not be feasible to construct an indoor swimming pool in our church. As a result, we can now announce with certainty that those who have been arriving for Mass as if dressed for the pool need not do so. Also, we hope to keep the air conditioning cranking until well into October. So you do not need to wear shorts, tube‐tops, spaghetti straps, camis, or mini shirts to Mass.

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/

Bluesky
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Let me know if it worked.

RWGR
06-13-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm going to guess it will work for some people, but not all. Some just can't take a hint, even when it's thrown in their face.

Anapeg
06-13-2013, 06:28 PM
People no longer dress for most occasions. Pure laziness, can't be bothered. A complete lack of fashion is now acceptable virtually everywhere. There was a time when dressing to the "9's" was part of the experience, a chance to show off your duds. Whether it was a Saturday night out, an awards show, Church, whatever you went in your best. Showered, shaved (cleanly) quaffed, nails done, the gamut. What others think is of little consequence, the am I happy, am I comfortable generation took over.

RWGR
06-13-2013, 06:59 PM
People no longer dress for most occasions. Pure laziness, can't be bothered. A complete lack of fashion is now acceptable virtually everywhere. There was a time when dressing to the "9's" was part of the experience, a chance to show off your duds. Whether it was a Saturday night out, an awards show, Church, whatever you went in your best. Showered, shaved (cleanly) quaffed, nails done, the gamut. What others think is of little consequence, the am I happy, am I comfortable generation took over.

Theodore Dalyrmple (I highly recommend his writing if you've not read him) said the current fashion, plus the explosion of tattoos, all have something in common: where once society, regardless of socioeconomic strata, tried to emulate the upper class in dress and fashion, now society, regardless of socioeconomic strata, tries to emulate the lower class. It is all part, he says, of the slow but inevitable collapse of western civilization.

He pulls no punches with that theory, and whether you agree with him or not you must admit he at least makes a point worth pondering.

Think of Anapeg's example. There really was a time, not really all that long ago, when it meant something to dress up. For people from the lower class, dressing up was not something they could do every day, but on Sunday, or some holiday or special occasion, you could bet they would pull out the best they owned.

Today, our multi-millionaire celebrities dress like they live in slums. Doctors and lawyers getting tattoos, when at one time a tattoo represented the mark of society's undesirables.

We once aimed for the highest. Now we slink to the lowest.

A culture in decline?

Bluesky
06-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I think it is also partly a rebellion against the ostentation that was perceived by dressing to the nines. When people dress in the kind of clothes that identify you as wealthy (I could never afford a hand-made suit) it's not about true worship, it's about being worshiped and admired (I'm talking about church now). And of that guy who has nothing but jeans to wear comes to church and feels like he doesn't belong there because he doesn't have a suit, then I believe that culture does need to change.

But that is different from wearing sloppy or revealing clothes to church. One can still be neat and tidy, no matter the wealth or lack of it.

RWGR
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I think it is also partly a rebellion against the ostentation that was perceived by dressing to the nines. When people dress in the kind of clothes that identify you as wealthy (I could never afford a hand-made suit) it's not about true worship, it's about being worshiped and admired (I'm talking about church now). And of that guy who has nothing but jeans to wear comes to church and feels like he doesn't belong there because he doesn't have a suit, then I believe that culture does need to change.

But that is different from wearing sloppy or revealing clothes to church. One can still be neat and tidy, no matter the wealth or lack of it.

Believe me, I am totally understanding of certain modes of dress due to circumstances. If someone only has jeans and a t-shirt, fine, that is perfectly acceptable. It's the people who wear Dockers and collared shirts all week, or suits, and then on Sunday show up in shorts and flip flops that are the problem.

dancingqueen
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Believe me, I am totally understanding of certain modes of dress due to circumstances. If someone only has jeans and a t-shirt, fine, that is perfectly acceptable. It's the people who wear Dockers and collared shirts all week, or suits, and then on Sunday show up in shorts and flip flops that are the problem.

And Hippsters.... &%$#*&@ hippsters.... Toronto's riddled with 'em

RWGR
06-14-2013, 11:44 AM
And Hippsters.... &%$#*&@ hippsters.... Toronto's riddled with 'em

Are those aging hippies?

dancingqueen
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Worse.... Imagine a hybrid of hippies and emos
and they're EVERYWHERE

RWGR
06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah, I know who you mean now. Awful.

They find themselves so cutting edge, but they are anything but.

"look at me!! I'm so independent, and don't care what anyone else thinks, so look at me, please look at how rebellious I am!...but remember, I don't care what you think"