PDA

View Full Version : Let Them Eat Cake

RWGR
08-02-2013, 11:29 AM
When I retired in 2003, my Nova Scotia-born spouse and I moved to Halifax from Boston. Lock, stock and wheelchair. Family, friends, Canadian values, social justice, single-payer health, the great outdoors, the sea and Maritime culture all beckoned. We were here full-time until 2007, when it became too frustrating and impractical to continue. Why would I want to live in a place where my wheelchair and I are excluded every day, and told nothing will be done about it?

We now live half the year in Halifax and half in North Carolina, which:

is a Right to Work state;
is a death penalty state;
has a spiffy new Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage;
allows open carry of handguns without a permit.
Why would anyone want to live there? Because:

the winters are nice;
my wheelchair is always welcome, thanks to a federal law that makes it so.

Four years ago, I made a representation that my fitness centre in North Carolina, operated by Duke University, did not meet accessibility standards. Within 30 days, a federal Justice Department mediator appeared, and within another 30 days, the problems were addressed. Appealing to Dukes altruism would not have matched the authority of written and enforceable standards, which are critical.

Late last year, a gang of U.S. senators hijacked the ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Canada ratified it in March, 2010. Yet in the United States, people with disabilities enjoy broad social acceptance, integration and almost fierce equality. In Canada, they have only promises. How can that be?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/canadas-failing-grade-on-disability-rights/article13556286/

At least you're 'tolerant' and 'compassionate' when discriminating against people with disabilities.

RWGR
08-02-2013, 01:45 PM
You anger, though quite violent, is nonetheless warranted, as it seems you ...

...wait, no one has replied yet...

official soonet pu$$ycat
08-02-2013, 02:17 PM
In what appears another "say no to anything from the White House" move, Senate Republicans blocked a United Nations treaty which could have helped disabled children, women and men around the world -- at no cost whatsoever to the American taxpayer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/don-c-reed/republicans-block-disability-rights_b_2246201.html

official soonet pu$$ycat
08-02-2013, 02:20 PM
"It is a sad day when we cannot pass a treaty that simply brings the world up to the American standard for protecting people with disabilities because the Republican party is in thrall to extremists and ideologues... The United States is seen as a leader around the world. Today, we had a chance to lead, and we failed because a small group of Republican senators fear the Tea Party more than they care about equality for people with disabilities."

RWGR
08-06-2013, 10:11 PM
In what appears another "say no to anything from the White House" move, Senate Republicans blocked a United Nations treaty which could have helped disabled children, women and men around the world -- at no cost whatsoever to the American taxpayer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/don-c-reed/republicans-block-disability-rights_b_2246201.html

ooops, you cited the Huffington Post as a legitimate source. Common mistakes for rookies, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Cool, I will link to Rush Limbaugh's site tomorrow, okay? :)

official soonet pu$$ycat
08-07-2013, 01:22 AM
ooops, you cited the Huffington Post as a legitimate source. Common mistakes for rookies, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Cool, I will link to Rush Limbaugh's site tomorrow, okay? :)

Fine by me. I'll hold you to that.