PDA

View Full Version : how do you reinstall o/s when your key has worn off the bottom of your laptop?

OU812
08-16-2013, 07:45 AM
how do you reinstall o/s when your key has worn off the bottom of your laptop? is there a place that can go by the serial number?

OU812
08-16-2013, 07:53 AM
my kids came up with the brilliant idea of installing a bootleg version of windows 7 on each of their laptops. i am no stranger to pirate programs and i know that operating system bootlegs always end bad. now i am being pestered on both laptops with the "not genuine" balloons popping up. i'd like to re-install the origonal o/s but the key has worn off the bottom of both laptops.

axalon2003
08-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Do you have the restore disks for the computer? The computer may also have a recovery partition on the hard drive that will automatically reload your OS. If you have those you generally won't need the product key. If you are able to reload your computer from one of those methods, you can get download a program to retrieve your PID from the computer. Just write it down once you pull it up.

BFLPE
08-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Windows 7 Loader

Hans
08-25-2013, 12:00 PM
You can use these KMS client keys: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793421.aspx
You will need a KMS activation server to activate against. That might be a bit difficult if you don't have access to one.