PDA

View Full Version : This Could Change Things

RWGR
09-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Unpaid Pastors May Be 'Future Of The Church' For Protestant Congregations

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/18/unpaid-priests-protestants_n_3943828.html

Bluesky
09-23-2013, 07:49 AM
This has been happening for decades in many smaller congregations.

Aristotle
09-23-2013, 05:20 PM
This has been happening for decades in many smaller congregations.

so the pastor would be someone with a full-time job outside his church?

dancingqueen
09-23-2013, 09:10 PM
so the pastor would be someone with a full-time job outside his church?

You mean pastors get paid typically????
and I thought mail men where over paid and under worked....

Aristotle
09-24-2013, 05:08 PM
They are, in comparison.

A pastor does not work 9-5, M-F.

Pastors have to work in rain, sleet, and snow...and are really asked to work during floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, wars, famines, etc.

The Left Sock
09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
That's not really a fair comparison, since disasters and tragedies are really the 'cash crop' for those who build their business from the opportunity to convert someone.

Barry Morris
01-06-2014, 10:00 PM
You mean pastors get paid typically????
and I thought mail men where over paid and under worked....

FYI. Pastors are typically paid about half of anyone else with the same education level.

dancingqueen
01-07-2014, 04:52 AM
FYI. Pastors are typically paid about half of anyone else with the same education level.

That'as because they don't do any work!
I wouldn't mind picking up half a pay check sitting at home playing World of Warcraft.

Igor
01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't mind picking up half a pay check sitting at home playing World of Warcraft.

I hope you're kidding! Pastors I know, visit the sick in hospitals, shut ins, perform christenings, funerals, weddings, masses, council, teach, pray for people, etc.

Barry Morris
01-07-2014, 08:54 AM

DQ, you have no clue. My favourite story about the pastor of my church was the night my wife called me at 11:30. She had started bleeding from a pre-mature labour and had called the ambulance. I dumped everything, yelled at the forman and was out the door to the hospital in my coveralls!! I got there before the ambulance BUT....the pastor was there first!!

Pastors, the real pastors we have been blessed with, are on call 24/7. Last year he returned from or delayed vacation TWICE for funerals.

dancingqueen
01-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Wow.... that's just a TREMENDOUS amount of work...
LOL

Barry Morris
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Wow.... that's just a TREMENDOUS amount of work...
LOL

I don't suppose you'd really like to look into it, seeing as your mind is made up.

Bluesky
01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Come follow me for a week, DQ.

Barry Morris
01-08-2014, 12:46 PM

He hasn't got the guts.

dancingqueen
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM

If I didn't have an actual job I gladly would.

Igor
01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
If I didn't have an actual job I gladly would.

What does that mean? Actual job? Are you saying being a pastor isn't an actual job?

dancingqueen
01-08-2014, 02:15 PM
What does that mean? Actual job? Are you saying being a pastor isn't an actual job?

Yes, yes I am.

Igor
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Yes, yes I am.

So being a pastor is not an actual job! I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

dancingqueen
01-08-2014, 02:46 PM
That is correct, In my opinion, being a pastor is not really a job.
You're just on the ball today aren't you!

Igor
01-08-2014, 02:53 PM
That is correct, In my opinion, being a pastor is not really a job.
You're just on the ball today aren't you!

What? You're looking for an argument or something?

dancingqueen
01-08-2014, 03:53 PM
... er, nope...

Barry Morris
01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
... er, nope...

Well, do us all a favour. Don't accuse anyone of being closed minded again.

If YOU have an actual job, you'll get some days off. Bluesky would be glad to take you out on any day you want. Because HIS days off are only on paper!!!

dancingqueen
01-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Well, do us all a favour. Don't accuse anyone of being closed minded again.

If YOU have an actual job, you'll get some days off. Bluesky would be glad to take you out on any day you want. Because HIS days off are only on paper!!!

Yah... I have much better things to do on my days off than going around pretending to care about strangers...

Igor
01-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Yah... I have much better things to do on my days off than going around pretending to care about strangers...

Aren't you the nice person? It's a good thing you aren't a pastor. You sound like a very bitter person!

dancingqueen
01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Aren't you the nice person? It's a good thing you aren't a pastor. You sound like a very bitter person!

I'm really not a very nice person.

Barry Morris
01-08-2014, 08:46 PM
What a way to live.

The Left Sock
01-08-2014, 10:03 PM
I couldn't be a pastor, for the same reason I couldn't be a tow-truck driver, or a homicide detective.

I'm not psychologically hard-wired to live in an 'on-call' reality. To stay well, to survive the working world, I need to know when I am expected to perform my duties, and I need to know that there are blocks of time set aside for me to do my own thing.

So, while being a pastor may not be a physically grueling job, it is a psychologically demanding job, it is a very public job, and you need to be on your game at all times, and the phone could ring any time, day or night.

I couldn't be a pastor simply due to the dynamics involved, so I find it hard to criticize the work they do, and I would be totally hypocritical to claim it wasn't a 'real job', since I already know that I don't have the capacity to do that job.

Bluesky
01-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't regard it as a job either. Its the difference between a job and a vocation.
It is hard to quantify where the job begins and ends. When you go to a party, you are not on the job. When a pastor goes to a party (read church social) he is most often found in a corner counselling with someone. But he is also enjoying the party.

When the pastor wakes up in the morning, and checks his email, 1 hour may pass by before he realizes it, because he is responding to the numerous emails that his/her parishioners have sent. (Some are disciplined enough to leave this activity for the office).

Whereas most board members and committee members have the occasional meeting to go to, the Pastor goes to most of them, because he is an ex officio member of every committee and board in the church (by virtue of his office). And all in the evenngs, so the pastor is not only in the office or out visiting by day, 3-4 evening in the week, he is gone as well.

But it isn't just the time spent that needs measuring. Pastors are often working with stress loads that are barely manageable. His efforts are being evaluated, not by HR - his HR are all the members of the church. So if there are just a handful of immature people who don't like him, the resulting dynamics can destroy the entire church, and he is responsible for that as well. You're dreaming if you think that is insignificant.

He is on salary, so there is no clock to punch. He is fortunate if he has people on his board who can recognize the symptoms of burnout and who are wise enough to know how to intervene to provide the pastor with relief.

On top of that, salaries are most often south of the average salary of an equally trained person in comparable fields.

But, with all of that said, I certainly do understand DQ's POV. If he has observed a pastor and it was his observation that the pastor hardly worked, his experience cannot be argued with. I know there are such cases. No question about it. But it is unfair to extrapolate from that experience and to generalize to include them all. Sort of like saying all lawyers are shysters. Oh.. wait a minute.. did I just shoot myself in the foot? Dang....

Hey DQ, we got to go for that coffee.. or whgatever it is you drink these days.. but I haven't been able to find the time yet heh heh... too dang busy since Christmas.