PDA

View Full Version : Words they be a changin'!

Anapeg
10-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Gay meant happy now means homosexual.

I have had a word I used as a youngster into my early teens that meant joyous taken away and given a completely different connotation. They tell me I am politically incorrect to use the word when describing anyone and should I forget I get reprimanded at least and possibly a busted lip worst case scenario.
When I was brought up, cursing was taboo, and more-so when a lady was present. I ask a younger person in a social setting to refrain from cursing and I get verbally abused and directed to find a more suitably adapted place to inhale air that they question my right to.

I am told not to speak a word I was brought up with yet I cannot ask for people to refrain from using words I find offensive without encountering abuse. How is this fair? I hope beyond hope this can be discussed at an adult level and not brought down to the usual gutter snipping we oft times experience.

This is brought on by a conversation with my 13 tear old grade 8 grand son. A principal of a local Catholic School drops, with some regularity, drops the "EFF" bomb. Many of the teachers at one of the local Catholic high school use what was once thought of as extreme profanity on a daily basis up to and including the "EFF" bomb even though passion is not present thus warrantying such language.

I could go on but I am anxious to see if I am in point of fact alone or do others feel similarly?

Anapeg
10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Political correctness prompted my placement of this thread. For clarification only.

dancingqueen
10-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Anapeg, I do agree with you that there is a lack of consistency here. Personally, I am of the mindset that words do not hurt, and should only be censored in the case where it does cause harm. ie. swearing around impressionable youth. Now if you are using the term "gay" in a clear and obvious manner meaning "happy" I think those people that give you attitude need to consider removing that pencil that is shoved up their ass. If it is not clear and obvious and you clarify (which I would assume you would) my thoughts remain the same re: the pencil. I don't think swearing is inappropriate or anything because like I said, they are just words, however, I do think swearing is lazy. there are appropriate times to swear and there are appropriate times to use words and create much more effective communications for all parties involved.
That's the jist of my thoughts on this matter.

Anapeg
10-30-2013, 09:15 AM
I curse as much as any sailor/trucker but there is a time and a place. A person who had a lot of influence on myself as a child said once and only once yet it has stuck with me all these years, "Swearing is a weak mind trying to express itself". I do agree words are not what upsets but rather the context in which they are used. Cursing though, one must admit is the norm and very nearly universal, at least locally. To the point it is heard in a Religious school on a somewhat regular basis. Point being, even though Mom and Dad do not swear in the presents of the kids, it is of no value for their teacher does. Who is entrusted with teaching the whelps their language skills? Oh, ya, the teacher.

Bill Nash
10-30-2013, 11:03 AM
My wife often comments to other people that one of my attributes (I don't have many) is that I rarely swear. I think people that swear generally have a limited vocabulary and can't come up with the right words to immediately express themselves, so the catch all "f-bomb" deflects and covers all scenarios. The use of swearing is to intimidate, .... even in friendly conversation, as if using the f-bomb expresses the "I am right, this is a fact, don't mess with me" aura. I think swearing is used by bullies (closet or not) and not by socially expressive people.

I have always thought that when you start to swear during an argument, you have lost the argument. People that swear often hate that analogy and tell me to f-off, and in doing so, I can rest my case.

dancingqueen
10-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Sometimes swearing is not as bad as I think you are suggesting. Yes, I agree that often times it is used by people that have difficulty expressing themselves intelligently, but think about the cases where having difficulty expressing yourself is unrelated to your vocabulary. frustration, anger, shock/surprise grief, passion etc... I don't swear like a sailor, but I frequently swear, and according to my IQ testing, my vocabulary fits in the 85th percentile. which isn't amazing, but it is pretty damn high. That being said, when I get into a discussion about something I feel is very important, I do get quite emotional, I do not use offensive language to intimidate, I do it because I'm on a roll and my brain can't keep up with my words. I also often use swearing as a means to express the emotion behind what I say. Perhaps this is just standard behavior for someone with a high vocabulary, but relatively average intelligence :/ (and horrible spelling)

Anapeg
10-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Your last two sentences only serve to make our point.

I do not use offensive language to intimidate, I do it because I'm on a roll and my brain can't keep up with my words. I also often use swearing as a means to express the emotion behind what I say. Perhaps this is just standard behavior for someone with a high vocabulary, but relatively average intelligence.

Your use of cursing is laziness. A short cut if you will. A vocabulary of little note and in a hurry is those most common forces compelling one to curse and you further this point beautifully and I thank you. My vocabulary will change as the personages I am addressing changes. I use their vernacular for some are intimidated by a verbose individual. I have been ostracized by people due to my speech. They brand me standoffish, show off or worse yet, trying to impress. Am I proud of my verbiage, absolutely, and for what I have I thank my Mother whom had not but grade two and was self taught Irish immigrant stock.

dancingqueen
10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
You are right Anapeg, ultimately, it is laziness, I cannot deny that. I would suggest, however, that it is not laziness for lack of a vocab nor for lack of intellect. It is one thing to take the time and articulate a well thought out argument for something planned, If I where to prepare an argument ahead of time you would not hear a single curse word escape my lips, unfortunately many of us lack the self discipline to slow down and create thoughtful arguments and we resort to swearing. You must (as you mentioned) consider your audience. Are well thought out words worth the effort? Are they just going to loose your target audience? etc...

Anapeg
10-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I just did some back reading and dare say I meant no malice toward yourself. The implication was inadvertent at the same time grossly inaccurate. I have in the past know the individual who was the recipient of my wrath got not a thing I said and felt impotent for it. Yes, you can go over someone's head and loose while winning in your own estimation. One does need tailor the tirade to the individual, you are right.
Having said that, it still in turn behooves the other then to take my background and sensibilities into consideration.

dancingqueen
10-30-2013, 07:18 PM
No worries, I took no offence to your malice. And I couldn't agree with you more in expecting one to consider your background and sensibilities when engaging in conversation. Sometimes we need to take the high road if we want our opinions or thoughts to get through.

Anapeg
10-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Addendum to the tirade. What in h3ll is it with the common hand shake. I walk up and shake hands as has been done for these thousands of years. It was meant to show a person approaching your hand was empty, free of weapon, and the actual hand shake was to allow each to hold a strangers hand so as to guarantee one another's safety. Neither was able to grab their weapon be it a sword or whatever. To-day, they come at you and you can get a thumb shake, a thumb shake followed by a shoulder bump, or a thumb shake followed by some BS front hand back hand knuckle slapping disco bondage BS thing. You are keenly aware of my age and looks. Do I LOOK cool? Not a chance in hell. Shake my mitt and move on, I am neither cool nor from the "hood".

Leave we dinosaurs be and once we pass you can make a decree, pass a law whatever suits your fancy as to how to greet the moron coming your way.

dancingqueen
10-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Addendum to the tirade. What in h3ll is it with the common hand shake. I walk up and shake hands as has been done for these thousands of years. It was meant to show a person approaching your hand was empty, free of weapon, and the actual hand shake was to allow each to hold a strangers hand so as to guarantee one another's safety. Neither was able to grab their weapon be it a sword or whatever. To-day, they come at you and you can get a thumb shake, a thumb shake followed by a shoulder bump, or a thumb shake followed by some BS front hand back hand knuckle slapping disco bondage BS thing. You are keenly aware of my age and looks. Do I LOOK cool? Not a chance in hell. Shake my mitt and move on, I am neither cool nor from the "hood".

Leave we dinosaurs be and once we pass you can make a decree, pass a law whatever suits your fancy as to how to greet the moron coming your way.

I'm totally gonna greet you with a bondage gangsta hug next time I see you.... not sure how it's gonna look, or what it will entail, but..... it'll be something....

Anapeg
10-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Buy me a drink first, right.

dancingqueen
10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Buy me a drink first, right.

I suppose it's the least I can do :)