PDA

View Full Version : Compassionate, kind, and understanding....

dancingqueen
11-27-2013, 01:13 AM
http://the-wopr.newsvine.com/_news/2013/09/19/20572264-church-members-mistreat-homeless-man-in-church-unaware-it-is-their-pastor-in-disguise

The Left Sock
11-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I like that story, even though it has a dark side.

Unfortunately, there is an element of North American Christian thought that tries to link material success to religious conviction. There are a number of high-profile preachers out there, pitching wealth through faith, and it can only lead to negative results, like those depicted in this story.

On the upside, this new pastor has the opportunity to change 10,000 minds with his enlightened approach, and that is truly refreshing.

As an outsider looking in, I always find it initially alarming when someone adopts an attitude of automatic superiority to me solely because they are Christian, and I am not. That is something I will try to work through, in hopes that it is just a case of innocent ignorance, that can be worked out. But when someone postures with both their bank account and their Bible, I am turned off completely, and will have nothing more to do with them. I simply dismiss them as misguided fools.

Bluesky
11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
I like the story as well. And the lessons to learn from it are certainly important.
However, the story itself is not true.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/homelesspastor.asp

which of course highlights another problem.. Christians who make stories up and circulate them as if they are true, thinking they are helping the cause.

dancingqueen
11-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Truth be told I am disappointed in snopes on this one, it would be unverified if anything though it would be interesting to put this "experiment" to the test.
I mean, I wouldn't want to admit to something like this if I where involved....

Aristotle
11-28-2013, 02:06 PM
People who create an alter-reality, and try to convince the world they are tolerant, kind, and compassionate.

Sounds like a country I know.

Aristotle
11-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Truth be told I am disappointed in snopes on this one, it would be unverified if anything though it would be interesting to put this "experiment" to the test.
I mean, I wouldn't want to admit to something like this if I where involved....

We certainly know the homosexual community has nothing to hide.

dancingqueen
11-28-2013, 02:28 PM
We certainly know the homosexual community has nothing to hide.

Oh we do.... we are systematically breaking down the institution of marriage and converting all people to see the holy grace of our God, the homosexual fairy. Soon, the world will be our playground as we work to make everyone into a homosexual.

Aristotle
11-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh we do.... we are systematically breaking down the institution of marriage and converting all people to see the holy grace of our God, the homosexual fairy. Soon, the world will be our playground as we work to make everyone into a homosexual.

Never happen. You guys like to portray yourselves as victims, but no one is buying it.

Your time is gone.

dancingqueen
11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Ahhhhh, Aristotle, moving the goal posts again... we never get tired of this eh?
It's sad that you actually think of this as a "gay agenda"
(even though this thread had nothing to do with gay issues) obsessed much?