PDA

View Full Version : A federal appeals court has struck down Federal Communications Commission rules

Hans
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
A federal appeals court has struck down Federal Communications Commission rules that prohibit Internet service providers (ISPs) from restricting access to legal Web content.

The FCC adopted the regulations at issue in 2010, imposing so-called "Open Internet" rules that barred ISPs from blocking or "unreasonably discriminating" against Web content.

Those regulations were challenged in 2011 by Verizon, which claimed the move overstepped the commission's legal authority.

"[T]he biggest broadband providers will race to turn the open and vibrant Web into something that looks like cable TV," Craig Aaron, president of the advocacy group Free Press, said in a statement. "They'll establish fast lanes for the few giant companies that can afford to pay exorbitant tolls and reserve the slow lanes for everyone else."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/14/technology/fcc-net-neutrality/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

This is going to be very interesting, as cable companies would love to develop internet packages and charge extra for "priority service".

Aristotle
01-14-2014, 06:50 PM
You are a Canadian posting a story about the USA. You know that's unacceptable here, right?

Oh, wait, it only works if it's an American posting a Canadian news story ...carry on

Hans
01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
The internet is not bound by borders.

Aristotle
01-14-2014, 08:49 PM
The internet is not bound by borders.

and the FCC is an international tribunal...

...wait ...

Barry Morris
01-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Yes, do try to figure out what his point is.

The rest of us got it.

Aristotle
01-15-2014, 10:15 AM
"us" :) :) :)

Barry Morris
01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Yes, AR, as much as you hate to admit it!!

Aristotle
01-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Yes, AR, as much as you hate to admit it!!

I would love for it to be true. Judging by the many PM's I get, however ,I'm afraid it's light-years away from the truth :(