PDA

View Full Version : Protestants ‘Worse’ Than Catholics On Abuse

Aristotle
02-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Amazing words from one of Billy Graham’s grandsons, a Liberty University law professor who investigates sexual abuse among Evangelicals:

The Christian mission field is a “magnet” for sexual abusers, Boz Tchividjian, a Liberty University law professor who investigates abuse said Thursday (Sept. 26) to a room of journalists.

While comparing evangelicals to Catholics on abuse response, ”I think we are worse,” he said at the Religion Newswriters Association conference, saying too many evangelicals had “sacrificed the souls” of young victims.

“Protestants can be very arrogant when pointing to Catholics,” said Tchividjian, a grandson of evangelist Billy Graham and executive director of Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE), which has investigated sex abuse allegations.

Earlier this summer, GRACE spearheaded an online petition decrying the “silence” and “inattention” of evangelical leaders to sexual abuse in their churches.

More:

“The Protestant culture is defined by independence,” Tchividjian said. Evangelicals often frown upon transparency and accountability, he said, as many Protestants rely on Scripture more than religious leaders, compared to Catholics.

Abusers discourage whistle-blowing by condemning gossip to try to keep people from reporting abuse, he said. Victims are also told to protect the reputation of Jesus.

Too many Protestant institutions have sacrificed souls in order to protect their institutions, he said. ”We’ve got the Gospels backwards,” he said.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/protestants-worse-than-catholics-billy-graham-grandson-abuse/

The Berean
02-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Hoping something will stick again?? :) :) :)

Moving paedophiles. Swearing children to secrecy. Coverups. On a massive scale!! That's the RCC for you.

Enough for me.

Aristotle
02-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Abusers discourage whistle-blowing by condemning gossip to try to keep people from reporting abuse, he said. Victims are also told to protect the reputation of Jesus.

Too many Protestant institutions have sacrificed souls in order to protect their institutions

Berean, in another thread:

IMO the greater crime is the hiding, the secrecy and the moving of paedophiles from parish to parish, instead of handling the problem.

Aristotle
02-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Moving paedophiles. Swearing children to secrecy. Coverups. On a massive scale!!

But apparently not as massive as in Protestant circles.

Sadly, you win.

The Berean
02-10-2014, 10:37 AM
"I do not see a backing up of the source, you cannot tell me to see what is not there and then not respond."

Aristotle
02-10-2014, 10:39 AM
This thread has you very uncomfortable, as it should.

also, it's a bit troubling that one of your first responses on a thread like this is the following:

:) :) :)

Aristotle
02-10-2014, 10:40 AM
"I do not see a backing up of the source

Liberty University law professor...Tchividjian, a grandson of evangelist Billy Graham and executive director of Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE)