PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Igor
03-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Yes we have had a very cold, snowy and long winter but this is Canada. We finally have had a good old fashioned winter. Today, it seems, that people are getting to be wimps over the weather. All winter, people complain about the cold and the snow. Summer will be upon us and it will be complaints about the heat or the rain. What exactly do we want? I, for one, have rather enjoyed this winter for the most part. What I find amazing is how some people are dressed. They have the audacity to cry about the cold when they are wearing only a light jacket with no hat, no mitts, no winter boots, no scarf. If you are dressed accordingly, it's really not that bad out there.

IMHO
03-02-2014, 09:33 AM
WEATHER....POLITICS....RELIGION..... all hot topics to whine about...always has been always will be. I am just so happy to live in a cold country with warm people who embrace a free society like Canada.

The Berean
03-02-2014, 09:41 AM
.... If you are dressed accordingly, it's really not that bad out there.

And you can wear your snowmobile suit to the mall here, and nobody looks twice!!!

Anapeg
03-02-2014, 12:45 PM
"That which does not kill you serves only to make you stronger" - I believe it to be an a la carte quote from some movie but it pertains nonetheless. The Great Lakes will, if spring co operates, get some of their own back. Perhaps Ontario fire jumpers can be lent out instead of working here at home.

Official Cat of Soonet
03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
"That which does not kill you serves only to make you stronger" - I believe it to be an a la carte quote from some movie but it pertains nonetheless. The Great Lakes will, if spring co operates, get some of their own back. Perhaps Ontario fire jumpers can be lent out instead of working here at home.

I believe the legendary Kelly Clarkson said that.

The Left Sock
03-02-2014, 02:52 PM
The whole thing is a rather fascinating aspect of the human mind.

What we are having this year, is a '20 year winter', or the kind of winter that only comes around every 20 years or so. It's unusual in recent history, but not unusual in overall patterns.

What becomes interesting, is the fact that the human mind will take two or three years of weather patterns, and 'normalize' them, so that our expectations will be built upon a couple of years of weather patterns. So, when a 20 year winter comes back on us, we run screaming into the night, claiming the end is near!

The old farts among us seem to have developed the ability to look past our constant re-adjustments to data, and they stay leery, knowing that a big bad winter could descend upon us at any time.

Perhaps if we start ignoring our own internal expectation adjustments, and stop ignoring the old folks who warn us of the possibilities that still exist, we will all cope a lot better.

And if we could convince City Hall to budget based on 20 year averages, instead of 2 or 3 year trends, we might actually have some salt and sand left, come March!

KDawg
03-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I believe the legendary Kelly Clarkson said that.
And the legendary Lady Gaga said...

P-p-p-poker face, p-p-poker face
(Mum mum mum mah)
P-p-p-poker face, p-p-poker face
(Mum mum mum mah)Gives me goose pimples.