PDA

View Full Version : Bluesky?

Westender 3
03-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Could you please explain/justify this, because this seems wrong on so many levels.

In an effort its spokesman has described as “outreach to rednecks,” the Kentucky Baptist Convention is leading “Second Amendment Celebrations,” where churches around the state give away guns as door prizes to lure in nonbelievers in hopes of converting them to Christ.

As many as 1,000 people are expected at the next one, on Thursday at Lone Oak Baptist Church in Paducah, where they will be given a free steak dinner and the chance to win one of 25 handguns, long guns and shotguns.

The goal is to “point people to Christ,” the church says in a flier. Chuck McAlister, an ex-pastor, master storyteller and former Outdoor Channel hunting show host who presides at the events as the Kentucky Baptist Convention’s team leader for evangelism, said 1,678 men made “professions of faith” at about 50 such events last year, most of them in Kentucky.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20140228/FEATURES10/302280129/Kentucky-Baptists-use-gun-giveaways-lure-unchurched-men-Christ?nclick_check=1

The Berean
03-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Could have offered a lawnmower.

Same as any other tool.

Goofy idea.

Bluesky
03-03-2014, 10:07 AM
I am speechless. I have no explanation, except to say that I am embarrassed for them.

The Berean
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
A church can't use a dinner and door prize to invite men to come???

Interesting.

Bluesky
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Of course they can. They can also offer people tickets to heaven for three easy payments of 29.99 As Seen on TV.
The question is, What does God have to do with it?

The Berean
03-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Gee, this should save the church a lot of money.

11 AM Sunday morning, come to church and hear what we have to say about God, or forget it.

Bluesky
03-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Berean, get real. The bane of the evangelicalism of the last 75 years has been their attempts to lower the gospel bar to the point of diluting it like they do homeopathic medicaine. 1 part per million. Make it as easy and as enticing as possible to come to church, just for the reward of being able to say "35 people received Christ as their Saviour at our meeting."

You know the drill. You've lived long enough to see that.

So when a church offers firearms as a prize and a free dinner if they come to church, do you really think in your heart of hearts that this isn't going to create a slew of merely cultural Christians?

Being a Christian means being a follower of Christ. His invitation is so opposite to what is being offered today.

Here are some examples.
1. Sell all you have, give it to the poor and follow me
2. If you want to follow me, pick up your cross (not your rifle or your second amendment) , deny yourself (not insist on your right to bear arms), and follow me
3. Only the sick are in need of a physician. (in other words, hey, if you don't think there's anything wrong with you, then go home.
4. You need to eat my flesh and drink my blood if you want eternal life (John 6)
5. It is easier a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it is for for a rich man to get to heaven.

And a few more like it.

Wait a minute. I do remember Jesus giving more than 5000 a free lunch. John 6. But then he preached such a hard message at them that all but the 12 left him. Because he didn't want false followers.

The Berean
03-03-2014, 07:11 PM
I know this. I have yet to see anyone who condemns the "mile wide, inch deep" church who is close enough to see what is really going on.

When Jesus called His disciples, He didn't give them your list of what a Christian must be. All He said was, "Follow Me".

And they got it anyway.

ALL churches have shallow people. It's inevitable. But putting on an event to draw men is not evidence of a shallow church. It gives an opportunity to say "Follow Me".

I had thought of the example of Jesus feeding the five thousand. But how come nobody ever says how shallow the 3000 must have been who came to the church after Pentecost??

Let's get a balance in our churches. Let's preach Christ any way we can. We might even use fellowship!!!

Bluesky
03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Yes, let's get a balance. From where I sit (and I have experienced evangelicalism from coast to coast as well as globally), it is time to move from the above scenario to the middle.
Let's allow Jesus himself to be the attraction.