PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?

Daiv
03-23-2014, 09:51 AM
http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/columnists/story.html?id=d44dba36-3b51-461c-a1ea-2101d57e346f&p=1

I think we need more people like this.

Anapeg
03-23-2014, 10:08 AM
They leave their home country seeking change, then try making the new country as the old one was. This is Canada, become Canadian or leave. No more Mounted Police with turbans and/or braids, this is Canada, that is the uniform. Want the job, wear it! I so desperately hope for an Ausi system to be installed here that it hurts.

Igor
03-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Our country and it's governing forces had better take a long look at what is happening to CANADA OUR HOME AND NATIVE LAND! Rules and regulations are made to be changed but must we change to the point where we are losing our traditions.

Allowing turbans in the Mounties, (braids I can accept as the 'natives' are part of Canada's history).
Prayer rooms within the schools after they remove the Lord's Prayer because it was offensive to certain sects.
Private swimming for certain sects.
No more Christmas trees, Christmas holidays, etc......holiday this and that now.
And the list goes on.

Before we know it our Canadian ways will be gone by the wayside.

Hoping we get more people in the government who will speak out like this man! Hurrah for him! ADAPT OR LEAVE!

Daiv
03-23-2014, 11:47 AM
I agree.
And I love that it was a Muslim who said it.
When I worked at OLG, we weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas.
What a crock. The worst part was, most of them would say it to us.
It was only okay for us to say it first. I still said it, though.
I even had people say, Merry Christmas, if that is what you celebrate!

(Them being people of other nationalities who I am assuming are not if Christian faith, but very well could be.)

If people don't want to celebrate our holidays, then they should not have the option of taking them off work or working at time and a half (or more).

Anapeg
03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Huh, I would have thought the politically correct police would have been all over this one. Perhaps lethargy has crept into their ranks. Either that or common sense.
Igor, while I am Native, I see no need nor place for the ceremonial braids in, or on any uniform not to do particularly with Native practices. The Mounted Police had a uniform, it was acceptable as it was and should have remained as such. There is a time and a place for everything.

Daiv
03-23-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm hoping common sense.

Daiv
03-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Is this Aussie system true? Because everything I look at says it is a hoax.
Unless we are talking about different things.
I'm assuming you're talking about where the Australian prime minster told immigrants to leave if they don't like it... ?
I agree with the 'hoax', though.
If you don't like our country, go back to your own country.

The best part is, a lot of immigrants agree.

gouligann
03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
I have been saying this all along. How many people on here argued about the Y pool and their ridiculous requests for covered windows and non-male lifeguards. Sorry folks, but THIS is just the tip of the bloody iceberg and we will all be falked if the governments and whoever else makes these DUMB decisions don't get their heads out of their arseholes.

Daiv
03-24-2014, 10:46 AM
I think a lot of us have been saying it, but it's nice to know that the immigrants are starting to agree.

Daiv
03-24-2014, 11:48 AM
And hopefully maybe Canada will start standing up for itself!

dancingqueen
03-24-2014, 12:28 PM
I don't think it's a matter of standing up for itself, Canada needs to acknowledge that these people are coming here to Canada to escape or leave behind the society they came from. These habits are difficult to break. If we want to do them any favors, we really ought to consider where a line is to be drawn in accommodating their assimilation. Frankly, I think Canada is too welcoming of other cultures, we should take after the USA and focus more on an assimilation to our culture. It sounds harsh, but they felt their society was bad enough to cause them to leave it, we really aren't doing any favors by allowing their society to move to Canada with them.

Daiv
03-24-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't think it's a matter of standing up for itself, Canada needs to acknowledge that these people are coming here to Canada to escape or leave behind the society they came from. These habits are difficult to break. If we want to do them any favors, we really ought to consider where a line is to be drawn in accommodating their assimilation. Frankly, I think Canada is too welcoming of other cultures, we should take after the USA and focus more on an assimilation to our culture. It sounds harsh, but they felt their society was bad enough to cause them to leave it, we really aren't doing any favors by allowing their society to move to Canada with them.

Which means we should stand up for ourselves. I'm not saying we shouldn't let them in, but we should let them know that they are moving to Canada, not to a NEW Afghanistan (or whatever country they are coming from).

Anna Noyance
03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
When in Rome do as the Romans do?

Daiv
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't expect to be allowed to walk around in a bikini in any Middle East country....

Hans
03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Gather the one dozen families, strip them of whatever Canadian status they have, and deport them to their country of origin.
Problem solved. We don't have to take this nonsense.

Daiv
03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Gather the one dozen families, strip them of whatever Canadian status they have, and deport them to their country of origin.
Problem solved. We don't have to take this nonsense.

But we do because our country caters to everybody but Canadians.
Or that's how it seems to me.