PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood and The Bible

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Usually when Hollywood wades into the waters of religion/The Bible, the results are golden comedy, though they are not meant to be. Once in a while they get it right (what's the saying, even a stopped clock is correct twice a day?), such as with "The Passion of the Christ".

Alas, it seems Hollywood's latest foray, "Noah", is another unintentional comedy smash.

Yes, you see, in a movie about Noah there is no mention of God. And, to top it off, did you know Noah was a fervent environmentalist?

The Bottom Line
Before Paul Ehrlich and Al Gore, there was Noah.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/noah/review/689450

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
I know a number of people who are quite excited to see Noah, when it comes out next week. I think it may be a huge moneymaker considering its release so close to the Easter Season.

I will reserve judgment on the film, until I have actually seen it.

What I won't do, is let the opinions of one movie reviewer throw me completely off track. I am able to think for myself, and won't get swayed by the inevitable back-and-forth that always ensues, when Hollywood attempts to depict a movie with biblical origins.

KDawg
03-23-2014, 05:35 PM
At least they classified the movie as Adventure, Drama, Fantasy.

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 05:51 PM
What I won't do, is let the opinions of one movie reviewer throw me completely off track. I am able to think for myself, and won't get swayed by the inevitable back-and-forth that always ensues, when Hollywood attempts to depict a movie with biblical origins.

With their track record you probably should. Save some time, not to mention money.

But I'm sure the movie will find a great fan in you. After all, a movie about Noah where God is ignored and Noah seems like an ancient Greenpeace leader is great stuff for those of a certain political persuasion.

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 06:00 PM
"But I'm sure the movie will find a great fan in you."

Really? I gave you enough rope, and there you are, dangling away! You think you would know by now. But, apparently you don't.

Let's take a look at the movie reviewer you used for your scathing critique of a movie you have never seen, shall we?

Darren Aranofsky is a Jew. What are Jews famous for? Never writing out, or uttering the name of G-d. Savvy so far?

So, this movie reviewer, is cutting up the movie Noah, because the movie makers apparently kept with the Jewish tradition of never mentioning God's name. Am I reading you right here, governor?

Is that the mojo you bring to the party, to make your case that this is a bad movie? Hmmm?

Or is it the part where Noah instructs his family to only 'bring what we need, only that which we can use' onto the ark? Is that the part that got you and Aranofsky bent that Noah is being reduced to an ancient Al Gore?

Honestly, it would be a much better world, a much better life, if you took the time to think for yourself, instead of running off half-cocked every time someone says something that tickles your paranoia and disdain for anything that threatens your fragile egg-shell reality. (partial credit given to Jim Morrison for the egg-shell bit).

KDawg
03-23-2014, 06:03 PM
"But I'm sure the movie will find a great fan in you."

Really? I gave you enough rope, and there you are, dangling away! You think you would know by now. But, apparently you don't.

Let's take a look at the movie reviewer you used for your scathing critique of a movie you have never seen, shall we?

Darren Aranofsky is a Jew. What are Jews famous for? Never writing out, or uttering the name of G-d. Savvy so far?

So, this movie reviewer, is cutting up the movie Noah, because the movie makers apparently kept with the Jewish tradition of never mentioning God's name. Am I reading you right here, governor?

Is that the mojo you bring to the party, to make your case that this is a bad movie? Hmmm?

Or is it the part where Noah instructs his family to only 'bring what we need, only that which we can use' onto the ark? Is that the part that got you and Aranofsky bent that Noah is being reduced to an ancient Al Gore?

Honestly, it would be a much better world, a much better life, if you took the time to think for yourself, instead of running off half-cocked every time someone says something that tickles your paranoia and disdain for anything that threatens your fragile egg-shell reality. (partial credit given to Jim Morrison for the egg-shell bit).
Them's fightin' words.

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 06:06 PM
I knew I was taking a chance, bringing Jim Morrison into the Religion forum.

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 06:10 PM

They don't use the name "God", but they do use the word "YHWH". Also used is el echad, el hanneeman, and el emet

This lesson in basic Judaism is provided for free...because I care!

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 06:14 PM
And your point, with reference to bashing the movie, is..... anyone? anyone? Beuller? anyone?

Oh, that's right. You glossed right over that bit. Got it.

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 06:16 PM
And your point, with reference to bashing the movie, is..... anyone? anyone? Beuller? anyone?

Oh, that's right. You glossed right over that bit. Got it.

Must admit, I've had impressive times in the past with smashing what you consider a slam-dunk, but THIS may be a record!!

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 06:18 PM
So, are the Hollywood people bad because they observed Jewish tradition and didn't mention God's name directly in the film?

Or are they bad because they spent millions and millions of dollars building a vision that will cause many people to consider the Flood Story, possibly for the first time, while insidiously failing to give God proper credit for being the major player in the tragedy?

Do tell!

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 06:20 PM
So, are the Hollywood people bad because they observed Jewish tradition and didn't mention God's name directly in the film?

Or are they bad because they spent millions and millions of dollars building a vision that will cause many people to consider the Flood Story, possibly for the first time, while insidiously failing to give God proper credit for being the major player in the tragedy?

Do tell!

When you make a movie about Noah, and it is played off like God had nothing to do with Noah building a floating Barnum and Bailey circus, it tends to bend the level of credibility just a smidge! :) :) :)

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Sometimes, this is just too easy!

"[from trailer]
[Noah wakes up from a vision]
Naameh: Noah? What did He say?
Noah: He's going to destroy the Earth."

"[from trailer]
Tubalcain: I have men at my back, you stand alone and defy me?
Noah: I'm not alone!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959490/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

Sure sounds like someone is talking about God here, and these are just from the commercial trailers!

Thinking prevents a great deal of effort. But only if you do it first.

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Tubalcain is a descendant of Cain's...NEXT!!

KDawg
03-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Thinking prevents a great deal of effort. But only if you do it first.
Say what?

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Say what?

I know, a good chuckle ensued when reading his attempt at cutting humor...more like self-cutting

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 06:30 PM
The instant I read the OP, I knew he went off half-cocked, rambling before having a clue if the movie is actually good or not.

So, I researched the movie reviewer, looked at the movie quotes, and had everything in ready for his terribly predictable responses.

Did a little thinking up front, the rest was effortless.

That's what is meant by 'thinking prevents a great deal of effort. But only if you do it first'.

You know, 'dial before you dig'.

You dig?

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 06:32 PM
The instant I read the OP, I knew he went off half-cocked, rambling before having a clue if the movie is actually good or not.

So, I researched the movie reviewer, looked at the movie quotes, and had everything in ready for his terribly predictable responses.

Did a little thinking up front, the rest was effortless.

That's what is meant by 'thinking prevents a great deal of effort. But only if you do it first'.

You know, 'dial before you dig'.

You dig?

That hole you're digging is quite deep!!

KDawg
03-23-2014, 06:37 PM
You dig?
Dig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXGQoIv6NY

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes, now I definitely dig!

Had no idea Cosby was a great musician, before becoming a lousy comedian!

The Left Sock
03-23-2014, 07:15 PM
In my belief system, one should look for signs of irony in life, because this can be a sign that you are on the correct path, and your focus is in harmony with the world around you.

As proof, I offer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA

Aristotle
03-23-2014, 07:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qV2jb.gif

The Left Sock
04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
And the number one movie this week in America is...... Noah!

With a $43 million opening weekend.

So much for those who wanted to bash it, before it even got out of the gate!

The Berean
04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
I want to see it, sometime, just to see what some Christians have been freaking about!!!

Aristotle
04-07-2014, 12:49 PM
And the number one movie this week in America is...... Noah!

With a $43 million opening weekend.

So much for those who wanted to bash it, before it even got out of the gate!

Ummm...what?

The Left Sock
04-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Noah now sits in the number 2 spot in its second week, at $73 million in the USA alone!

Well on its way to posting a huge profit from a $125 million budget.

'Unintentional comedy smash' indeed!

Aristotle
04-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Noah now sits in the number 2 spot in its second week, at $73 million in the USA alone!

It couldn't even hold on to number one for more than a week??

Wow..."Ishtar", anybody??

The Berean
04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
It couldn't even hold on to number one for more than a week??

Wow..."Ishtar", anybody??

Would appear from the numbers that they are into the profit.

Hardly discouraging for the studio.

Aristotle
04-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Would appear from the numbers that they are into the profit.

Hardly discouraging for the studio.

Cost to make "Noah" : $130,000,000 http://www.movieinsider.com/m9181/noah/production/

Box office take so far: $61,000,000 http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/April/Noah-Gods-Not-Dead-Strike-Box-Office-Gold/

So, are you saying that spending $130,000,000 to make $61,000,000 is a "profit", or did I read you incorrectly?

The Berean
04-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Cost to make "Noah" : $130,000,000 http://www.movieinsider.com/m9181/noah/production/

Box office take so far: $61,000,000 http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/April/Noah-Gods-Not-Dead-Strike-Box-Office-Gold/

So, are you saying that spending $130,000,000 to make $61,000,000 is a "profit", or did I read you incorrectly?

If Left Socks numbers are correct, you are wrong.

If they are wrong, you are right.

That's all.

Aristotle
04-08-2014, 07:53 PM
If Left Socks numbers are correct, you are wrong.

He says it has made $73,000,000. I still contend if you spend $130,000,000 to make $71,000,000 you are not, in fact, making a profit.

The Berean
04-08-2014, 08:50 PM
He says it has made $73,000,000. I still contend if you spend $130,000,000 to make $71,000,000 you are not, in fact, making a profit.

So maybe I'm not reading the numbers right. 43 mill first weekend, 73 mill second week???

Just in the USA??

I dunno.

The Berean
04-08-2014, 09:07 PM
95 million world wide first weekend.

The Left Sock
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Currently $179 million worldwide. Not too shabby, for an 'unintentional comedy'.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=noah.htm

dancingqueen
04-09-2014, 05:02 AM
When you make a movie about Noah, and it is played off like God had nothing to do with Noah building a floating Barnum and Bailey circus, it tends to bend the level of credibility just a smidge! :) :) :)

HAHAHA This line just kills it...
Yah, it's because God wasn't mentioned that makes the story loose all credibility....
I mean if God had at least a passing mention, well then it's totally credible....
you know 40 days of rain to flood the entire world... 2 of every animal on earth on one boat...
Religion... I wonder if you can't or won't see the perspective here.

The Berean
04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
HAHAHA This line just kills it...
Yah, it's because God wasn't mentioned that makes the story loose all credibility....
I mean if God had at least a passing mention, well then it's totally credible....
you know 40 days of rain to flood the entire world... 2 of every animal on earth on one boat...
Religion... I wonder if you can't or won't see the perspective here.

Couple of points. Saw an article yesterday that brings this to mind. Does the bible say "entire" world?? Some guy made a world map in 1492. Remember that year, and a certain explorer?? Was that a map of the "entire" world?? I'm sure the map creator thought so.

Noah and the Ark. Ya know, if he DIDN'T have God's instruction, then I'd have to say he was indeed a psycho.

As to the rest, well, read the signature again.

dancingqueen
04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Couple of points. Saw an article yesterday that brings this to mind. Does the bible say "entire" world?? .

I guess it depends on the Bible version, when it was made, how it is interpretated and the mood of the interpretation at the time

You know how factual the Bible can be...

dancingqueen
04-09-2014, 08:32 AM
As to the rest, well, read the signature again.

And I'm not an Atheist so your signature holds no relevance to me nor my interpertation.

The Berean
04-09-2014, 08:49 AM
I guess it depends on the Bible version, when it was made, how it is interpretated and the mood of the interpretation at the time

You know how factual the Bible can be...

Even better, I know how little you know about it.

The Berean
04-09-2014, 08:51 AM
And I'm not an Atheist so your signature holds no relevance to me nor my interpertation.

If you live your life that way, it doesn't much matter.

Aristotle
04-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Currently $179 million worldwide. Not too shabby, for an 'unintentional comedy'.

Pretty average, really

The Berean
04-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Pretty average, really

Yup, hardly a blockbuster!!

Aristotle
04-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Yup, hardly a blockbuster!!

Exactly.

The Berean
04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
So, how much would they have to make to be encouraged to do it again?

Aristotle
04-10-2014, 09:23 AM
So, how much would they have to make to be encouraged to do it again?

They made Jaws 4...that question is non-sensical

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-zHSZFLrfgcw/UAAhMGToQZI/AAAAAAAAEG4/91Eueeuc19U/my-hair-is-a-bird-your-argument-is-invalid-nicolas-cage.jpg?imgmax=800

The Berean
04-10-2014, 12:37 PM
They made Jaws 4...that question is non-sensical

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-zHSZFLrfgcw/UAAhMGToQZI/AAAAAAAAEG4/91Eueeuc19U/my-hair-is-a-bird-your-argument-is-invalid-nicolas-cage.jpg?imgmax=800

I see. It's a simple question. I wonder why you don't get it?

How much would they have to make to be encouraged to do it again? Pay all the bills, giving a ton of people enough work to live indoors, and eat everyday, and keep the studio open, plus 25 cents?? Would that be enough??

Aristotle
04-10-2014, 02:23 PM
I see. It's a simple question. I wonder why you don't get it?

How much would they have to make to be encouraged to do it again? Pay all the bills, giving a ton of people enough work to live indoors, and eat everyday, and keep the studio open, plus 25 cents?? Would that be enough??

And you don't get my "Jaws 4" comment. They make sequels all the time, with box office returns on the previous movie not always a consideration.

Barry Morris
04-10-2014, 02:34 PM
And you don't get my "Jaws 4" comment. They make sequels all the time, with box office returns on the previous movie not always a consideration.

Oh. I didn't know that Jaws 1, 2, and 3 lost money.

Aristotle
04-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Oh. I didn't know that Jaws 1, 2, and 3 lost money.

Did I say Jaws 1 and 2 did? If so, where?

When I said the previous movie to Jaws 4 ,wouldn't it serve to reason that would be Jaws 3?

The Berean
04-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Did I say Jaws 1 and 2 did? If so, where?

When I said the previous movie to Jaws 4 ,wouldn't it serve to reason that would be Jaws 3?

The expression is "stand to reason". And you have totally lost the gist of this conversation.

Aristotle
04-10-2014, 03:51 PM
The expression is "stand to reason".

Moving the goalposts...I win...again! :) :) :)

The Berean
04-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Moving the goalposts...I win...again! :) :) :)

So, we're talking about how much profit a movie has to make to be good for the studio, and you went off somewhere, including the "interesting" use of the English language, which I pointed out, and now you say tht I have moved the goalposts?? I now think you don't understand what that means either.

If you want to win like that, be my guest!!

Aristotle
04-10-2014, 07:13 PM
If you want to lose like that, be my guest! :) :) :)

The Berean
04-10-2014, 07:37 PM
If you want to lose like that, be my guest! :) :) :)

Not a problem.

The Left Sock
04-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Now sitting at $319 million. With a budget of approx. $125 million, this film is officially a winner!

Aristotle
04-27-2014, 04:44 PM
It's still out?

Haven't heard anything about it. It made some small waves at first (pun intended), but quickly disappeared from view.

Aristotle
04-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Raleigh, NC — Faith Driven Consumer™ — the group behind the recent IStandWithPhil.com movement that played a leading role in Phil Robertson’s return to Duck Dynasty, is tracking the commercial viability of major Hollywood films courting faith audiences. In 2014, the Year of the Bible Movie, studios are targeting 46 million Faith Driven Consumers who spend $1.75 trillion annually. While recent films such as SON OF GOD and GOD’S NOT DEAD are exceeding expectations at the US box office, the organization finds that NOAH has underperformed its opening weekend relative to its potential with a faith-based audience.

http://stylemagazine.com/news/2014/mar/31/bible-box-office-noah-falls-short-while-gods-not-d/

The Berean
04-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Underperformed??

Like I said before, not a block buster.

But if the movie industry can make that much money from what you hope is a flop, I'm pretty sure we will see more.