View Full Version : Toronto Maple Leafs

Aristotle
03-30-2014, 11:56 AM
WE OWN YOU

http://www.hcwreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DetroitRedWings.png

http://oilersnation.com/uploads/Image/losers800.jpg

_daynzy
03-30-2014, 12:06 PM
The entire NHL owns the Leafs this year. Sad waste of a season.

_daynzy
03-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Helms breakaway hat trick goal last night was beautiful.

So was Riley's fall down and swipe pass to Lupul.

riggs
03-30-2014, 12:46 PM
WE OWN YOU

But not for 4 more years................again :shaha:

Aristotle
03-30-2014, 04:07 PM
let your anger out, Riggs, it's therapeutic.

riggs
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
let your anger out, Riggs, it's therapeutic.

Olympic hockey has made you an expert..........:svictory:

Aristotle
03-31-2014, 09:31 AM
I win!! :)

The Voice
04-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I win!! :)

Knock Knock.

Who's there?

Gold Medals in Sochi!

In Your Face Birdman. IN YOUR FACE!

(Nope still not getting Old)

The Voice
04-03-2014, 09:49 PM
WE OWN YOU

http://www.hcwreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DetroitRedWings.png

http://oilersnation.com/uploads/Image/losers800.jpg

Hockey Season just ended Go whoever is Playing Detroit!

Anapeg
04-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Why is anyone discussing the Leafs in the sport section? This ought to be moved to jokes.

Aristotle
04-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Hockey Season just ended Go whoever is Playing Detroit!

the anger of Leafs fans is amazing!!!!!!!

The Berean
04-07-2014, 01:17 PM
And I heard their games had very poor attendance. :) :) :)

Aristotle
04-07-2014, 01:40 PM
And I heard their games had very poor attendance. :) :) :)

I doubt it.

Leafs fans are like walking ATM machines for the owners of the team.

And they wonder why the team is forever stuck in neutral, a moribund joke of a franchise that has no incentive whatsoever to improve.

Let's see...pour more millions into the team to get the Cup, and guarantee each seat will be sold at ACC...or, do nothing, and guarantee each seat will be sold at ACC.

Leafs fans have no one but themselves to blame.

Oh well. The next best thing to a Red Wings win is a Maple Leafs loss...and those have been coming hot and heavy lately!!

http://www.leafs-suck.com/wallpaper/800golf.jpg

Barry Morris
04-07-2014, 02:11 PM
"..or, do nothing, and guarantee each seat will be sold at ACC."

Precisely. It remains a business.

Anapeg
04-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Harold Ballard school of finance minus his ability to inspire. Also the pool from which to fish players was ever so much deeper then with only six teams to man you took the best of the best and let them have at it. Now, there are so many teams the field is watered down to such an extent that anyone who played in the 50's or 60's would gain immediate super star status when gaged beside a lot of todays talent.

riggs
04-07-2014, 03:02 PM

And they have a working model that makes them one of the wealthiest franchises (if not the wealthiest) in the NHL

Aristotle
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
And they have a working model that makes them one of the wealthiest franchises (if not the wealthiest) in the NHL

A working model?? If other franchises tried that "model" they'd be out of business in two years.

Again, it all goes back to the gullibility of the Toronto fan. Believe me, that is a very unique situation. Other cities cannot rely on people shelling out big bucks for a failing product year after year after year.

If you feel that shines a positive light on Toronto fans, well, I'm not so sure.

Aristotle
04-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Harold Ballard school of finance minus his ability to inspire. Also the pool from which to fish players was ever so much deeper then with only six teams to man you took the best of the best and let them have at it. Now, there are so many teams the field is watered down to such an extent that anyone who played in the 50's or 60's would gain immediate super star status when gaged beside a lot of todays talent.

I don't think so. The talent level has never been higher in the NHL. The players have never been more skilled or more physically sound than they are today. In fact, I'd say the NHL of the 50s and 60s would have a hard time dealing with many AHL teams today.

Anapeg
04-07-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't think so. The talent level has never been higher in the NHL. The players have never been more skilled or more physically sound than they are today. In fact, I'd say the NHL of the 50s and 60s would have a hard time dealing with many AHL teams today.

Now this, a few cold beers could go a long way to wasting away a warm afternoon at camp. Guys today couldn't stay the pace with the likes of the Mahovlich brothers or Johnny Bower, even up to the likes of Bobby Orr. Come on even you have to admit that there was talent.

Aristotle
04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Now this, a few cold beers could go a long way to wasting away a warm afternoon at camp. Guys today couldn't stay the pace with the likes of the Mahovlich brothers or Johnny Bower, even up to the likes of Bobby Orr. Come on even you have to admit that there was talent.

They were talented, but it was a different world.

The reason training camp was needed at one time is because the guys would come into the season usually out of shape. The reason training camp is not needed today, but is kept around to make a few extra bucks off the ridiculous number of pre-season games the NHL has, is because the players train and workout 11-12 months out of the year.

The development of skill is much better, today, too.

Bobby Orr is my favorite player (next to Yzerman), he is why I wore number 4 when playing youth hockey. But with his skillset he would never be the rushing defenseman today he was back then. First, he would always be out of position because he could never get back in time, as players today are so good at a quick transition game. Second, coaches would key in early on his penchant for rushing the puck, and would soon develop a counter-attack based on today's plethora of plays specific to each little momentum swing, etc, of a game.

Players play the game much different today, and it's a more intelligent and cerebral game.

Anapeg
04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Her I have to rely on your honesty as I have long since given up on the game. I lost interest when Philadelphia had thugs on the ice and wages soared astronomically. Then when the players pulled out and went on strike, that to me was the death knell. All sports have become more about the money than the game and unfortunately for more than just myself, it is not the same any longer. When a man in uniform defending a foot ball is rewarded many times over a man in uniform protecting his country, we have well and truly lost perspective.
I digress. Mrs. Orr' little boy would never be caught out of position due to the horn going off when he scored. Moot point.

Barry Morris
04-07-2014, 06:31 PM
A working model?? If other franchises tried that "model" they'd be out of business in two years.

Again, it all goes back to the gullibility of the Toronto fan. Believe me, that is a very unique situation. Other cities cannot rely on people shelling out big bucks for a failing product year after year after year.

If you feel that shines a positive light on Toronto fans, well, I'm not so sure.

Any working model that puts bums in the seats and profits in the franchise is obviously one that works.

Anapeg
04-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Any working model that puts bums in the seats and profits in the franchise is obviously one that works.

I have always said the Toronto fans are not known for being discerning. Mr. Ballard lowered their expectations to a level the likes of which will never be duplicated anywhere on the planet, they gobble it up, smile and keep coming back for more. Any other franchise would have folded tents and left town long ago. The only way I can justify it is to see the Torontonians starved to the point of masochism for entertainment.

riggs
04-07-2014, 08:00 PM

I never said it would work for other franchises. And you are correct in respect to its uniqueness. Keep in mind each business has a model that works well for them specifically and in this case, regardless of the whys, it works in Toronto. Now if the fan base was to diminish, you would see a different approach. One that would adapt ideas from one of the many franchises that struggle to support their teams.

Though their business plan in part has made them financially successful, it is also their Achilles heel in regards to success. They strive to please their fan base (financial rewards) but it diminishes their on ice product. This gives the fans a sense of hope that'll never reach fruition. Until they focus more on chemistry and hockey sense, business will continue as usual.

riggs
04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
They were talented, but it was a different world.

The reason training camp was needed at one time is because the guys would come into the season usually out of shape. The reason training camp is not needed today, but is kept around to make a few extra bucks off the ridiculous number of pre-season games the NHL has, is because the players train and workout 11-12 months out of the year.

The development of skill is much better, today, too.

Bobby Orr is my favorite player (next to Yzerman), he is why I wore number 4 when playing youth hockey. But with his skillset he would never be the rushing defenseman today he was back then. First, he would always be out of position because he could never get back in time, as players today are so good at a quick transition game. Second, coaches would key in early on his penchant for rushing the puck, and would soon develop a counter-attack based on today's plethora of plays specific to each little momentum swing, etc, of a game.

Players play the game much different today, and it's a more intelligent and cerebral game.

Good points all round!

Aristotle
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Preach it, Nazem!

"...“If you look at us, it really sucks..."

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/07/maple-leafs-could-be-eliminated-tuesday-night

Aristotle
04-09-2014, 09:08 AM
TORONTO OUT!!!!

http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/758b6455023c41fe935da20ca19253ce/http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u508/FlubberMcGee/lololol_gif.gif

https://p.twimg.com/AqIRsY1CEAA0c06.jpg

The Berean
04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Everybody get their paycheque??

Good!!

See you in the fall!!

Aristotle
04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKQPFWBCQAAsFQT.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkvsF9YIIAAO0Y5.jpg

Aristotle
04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Everybody get their paycheque??

Good!!

See you in the fall!!
The bar is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo low!!!

Aristotle
04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Kyle Layfield @layf91
Follow
It's alright leafs fans at least you aren't blowing a 4-1 lead in game 7 this year
9:19 AM - 9 Apr 2014

Aristotle
04-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Red Wings make the playoffs for a 23rd consecutive year.

Salt, meet the Maple Leaf wound.

riggs
04-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Red Wings make the playoffs for a 23rd consecutive year.

That's a remarkable accomplishment for any sport.

Anapeg
04-11-2014, 06:10 PM
I am horrid with statistics, when is the last time the Red Wings held the cup? I honestly tried googling it and it gave me statistics galore but being the simpleton I am I could not weed out the kaka and find what I looked for.

Barry Morris
04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
2002???

Anapeg
04-11-2014, 09:11 PM
I dunno, like I said, I haven't a head for stats. Never have. Do any of the original six do particularly well?

Aristotle
04-12-2014, 10:32 AM
2002???

2008...but what does truth matter, EH?? :) :) :)

Aristotle
04-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I dunno, like I said, I haven't a head for stats. Never have. Do any of the original six do particularly well?

other than the Red Wings winning the Cup in 97, 98, 02, 08, and Boston winning the Cup in 2001, and Chicago in 2010 and 2013, you're exactly right :)

Now THAT is the truth!! :)
I think what you meant to say is "No Canadian Original Six team ever wins the Cup anymore"

Barry Morris
04-12-2014, 10:54 AM
2008...but what does truth matter, EH?? :) :) :)

A quick search showed that, which accounts for the question marks.

Anapeg
04-12-2014, 02:26 PM
other than the Red Wings winning the Cup in 97, 98, 02, 08, and Boston winning the Cup in 2001, and Chicago in 2010 and 2013, you're exactly right :)

Now THAT is the truth!! :)
I think what you meant to say is "No Canadian Original Six team ever wins the Cup anymore"

No, I meant the question as posted, thank you. I did so enjoy when there were the six, much easier for anyone with a memory such as my own, never was much for calling things to mind. As well the shorter season, it was shorter was it not, it was more memory friendly for me?
I struggle here for punctuation. With a question hedged within a statement as it were I do end with a question mark do I not? TEACHER, OH, OH, TEACHER!

The Voice
04-28-2014, 07:24 PM
the anger of Leafs fans is amazing!!!!!!!

Na Na Na Na, ... Na Na Na Na:... Hey, Hey, Hey, GOODBYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23 years strait in the playoffs and $1.50 will get you a coffee at Timmies.

The Voice
04-28-2014, 07:32 PM

Please explain how this is a viable business plan?

The Voice
04-28-2014, 07:37 PM
I doubt it.

Leafs fans are like walking ATM machines for the owners of the team.

And they wonder why the team is forever stuck in neutral, a moribund joke of a franchise that has no incentive whatsoever to improve.

Let's see...pour more millions into the team to get the Cup, and guarantee each seat will be sold at ACC...or, do nothing, and guarantee each seat will be sold at ACC.

Do you have any Idea how much money the MLSE would make if the LEAFS won the cup. Do think ownership is satisfied not making that money.

Aristotle
04-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Do think ownership is satisfied not making that money.

Seems that way

The Berean
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Please explain how this is a viable business plan?

It's a game.

Businessmen don't like risk.

Simple.

The Voice
05-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Do you have any Idea how much money the MLSE would make if the LEAFS won the cup. Do think ownership is satisfied not making that money.

Your spending to the cap already?

What's the Risk?

The Berean
05-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Your spending to the cap already?

What's the Risk?

If they spend up to the cap, where's the guarantee they'll get it all back, plus the same profit margin they are getting now??

The Voice
05-04-2014, 07:16 AM
If they spend up to the cap, where's the guarantee they'll get it all back, plus the same profit margin they are getting now??

They DO spend to the Cap.

If they did not want to make the playoffs they should stay at the floor.

I am not sure you understand what the cap and the floor are?

I am also baffled as to how you can defend leaving money on the table as a viable business plan. Especially when we are talking hundreds of millions at least.

The Voice
05-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Seems that way

Not satisfied, maybe inept but not satisfied.