PDA

View Full Version : facebook

Soonet-china
04-23-2014, 12:42 AM
I have deactivated my account, I was posting all my personal stuff . Also , any time I was upset with someone or anything. I feel anonymous and like nobody knows me by staying off it. Im not happier, but feel better for not being on it. It brings out my bad, negative side. Any one else experience this ?

Anapeg
04-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Not I. Yet.

Hans
04-23-2014, 06:22 AM
Facebook is the evil of the internet. They track everything and catalogue everything you do. They follow you around everywhere and serve targeted advertising.
They are getting into the mobile amd messaging market, making them even worse.

dancingqueen
04-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Facebook has never been a source of drama for me. I've just never understood how people can have such a problem on it.

Add
04-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Facebook is the evil of the internet. They track everything and catalogue everything you do.

If Facebook wants to track and catalogue that I got drunk on Saturday; I say giver giver!

dancingqueen
04-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Facebook is the evil of the internet. They track everything and catalogue everything you do. They follow you around everywhere and serve targeted advertising.
They are getting into the mobile amd messaging market, making them even worse.

I prefer that method of targeted advertising, at least I'm no longer getting ads for pampers plus or Midol

Daiv
04-23-2014, 07:40 AM
I had deactivated mine for about a year.
I reactivated it when I got pregnant with my second because I wanted to do all the fun pregnancy updates and pictures, etc.

I find a lot of times, when I 'creep' people, I end up getting jealous.
'Look what they're doubt! Look how smart their kid is! Blah blah blah.'
I shouldn't be like that, but I am. And I know I'm not the only one because I've seen news articles about it. (No, I'm not going to look one oh, have at 'er, if you want to.)
Or I get annoyed really easy. I despise vague booking. Drives me right up the wall.

The Left Sock
04-23-2014, 07:57 AM
It's not just Facebook tracking you, that you need to worry about.

I know people who have lost their jobs, because of Facebook. And then there are the WSIB frauds, health insurance frauds, and relationships that have been trashed.

Sticking your business out there for the world to see, has its perils!

Daiv
04-23-2014, 08:38 AM
I don't understand people who go on there and complain about their job.
I understand the crappy day at work comments, or work sucks today or whatever.
I've seen people totally bash their employers, though, and then they wonder why they got canned!
STUPID!!!

lynys
04-23-2014, 08:54 AM
If people are scamming WSIB, welfare, etc. and they decide to show all of humanity they are doing it by posting it on Facebook, they deserve the repercussions from it. I have no issues with Facebook. It's actually become the best way for me to communicate with friends I don't get to see because of schedules, distance, etc.

The Berean
04-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Facebook is great for those who have scattered families and friends.

The Left Sock
04-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Facebook is great, but people do need to be cautious about what they post.

Sadly, many young people have jumped ship from Facebook and use other online means to communicate, because Facebook has been flooded by the older generation, and youngsters don't liked getting creeped by their parents.

The Berean
04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Facebook is great, but people do need to be cautious about what they post.

Sadly, many young people have jumped ship from Facebook and use other online means to communicate, because Facebook has been flooded by the older generation, and youngsters don't liked getting creeped by their parents.

I have to wonder if that's the reason. Seems they have exhibited even less patience than their parents and have gone to faster and shorter communications.

The Left Sock
04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Well, you get Facebook posts instantly on any device, but it leaves a lasting trail.

Some of the new methods quickly remove all traces of communication, and this seems to be where things are trending for young people.

Aristotle
04-23-2014, 09:30 AM
I truly believe Facebook is one of the worst inventions in a long, long time.

It tends to make some people more self-centered and less intelligent.

And, really, that's what we need more of in this world: more unintelligent, self-centered people.

Lance1
04-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Is deactivating or just signing out and never logging back on again not almost the same thing?

The Berean
04-23-2014, 09:38 AM
The demographic of the negative is telling.

Aristotle
04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
The demographic of the negative is telling.

What do you mean by that, Berean?

The Berean
04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
What do you mean by that, Berean?

See post 11.

The Left Sock
04-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Is deactivating or just signing out and never logging back on again not almost the same thing?

Just signing out and never returning could leave your information floating around in cyberspace until the Zombie Apocalypse finally shuts things down.

No, I would recommend manually deleting everything you can from your profile and account, then asking for deactivation. Even then, you cannot know where it has been copied or stored, but it's a whole lot better than just leaving it floating around out there.

Aristotle
04-23-2014, 11:00 AM
See post 11.

gotcha

dancingqueen
04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
I can only suggest that people who find facebook to dramatic create much of that themselves. Be decent, be smart.... you are posting pictures to the INTERNET

Hans
04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
I prefer that method of targeted advertising, at least I'm no longer getting ads for pampers plus or Midol

You would be surprised what Facebook knows about you and your online habits, and how they use that data to generate profit.
I use a web browser plugin called Facebook Disconnect to block Facebook from tracking me online.

Any website with a like button is infected with the Facebook tracking scripts. I call it infected, because that is what it is.

Hans
04-23-2014, 08:04 PM
I can only suggest that people who find facebook to dramatic create much of that themselves. Be decent, be smart.... you are posting pictures to the INTERNET

Ever posted a picture on Facebook taken with a phone?

dancingqueen
04-23-2014, 09:07 PM

On occasion I have.

Anapeg
04-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Never.

Hans
04-24-2014, 06:07 AM
On occasion I have.

Hopefully you either cleared the metadata from it, or you have your phone configured not to attach metadata to pictures.

dancingqueen
04-24-2014, 06:37 AM
Hopefully you either cleared the metadata from it, or you have your phone configured not to attach metadata to pictures.

Why?

OU812
04-24-2014, 09:14 AM
i saw that on dateline. you can track a person's exact location from that meta data. guy went through town town snapping and posting . in the end there was a trail showing exact locations. very eye opening. back to facebook in general. back in the late 80's and 90's, advertizing my bands shows was very labor intensive and expensive. i now create an event on facebook and 800+ people get it. that alone makes it worth my while. the other is the countless people that i lost touch with over the years that i can now instant chat with and share family photos etc. i realise that facebook has a busness model or as people would say alterior motive, but did anyone actually believe that facebook infastructure was put in place for nothing but our benefit? it is a busness for profit.

Anapeg
04-24-2014, 10:59 AM
It all sounds so very "Big Brother-ish" to me. Why in Gods name would anyone in their right mind wish to track MY movements? Can they do it-very possibly, would they waste the manpower-not very likely. Now if I have done wrong and they employ this technology I would be concerned.

dancingqueen
04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm not too worried about the occasional photo of me at someone's summer party being used to track me, It wouldn't get them very close to where I actually am....

Hans
04-24-2014, 04:47 PM
It all sounds so very "Big Brother-ish" to me. Why in Gods name would anyone in their right mind wish to track MY movements? Can they do it-very possibly, would they waste the manpower-not very likely. Now if I have done wrong and they employ this technology I would be concerned.

There are people out there who make a living from tracking people on Facebook.

You write on your wall you are going to camp for the weekend.
They grab metadata from a picture and locate your house on Google maps.
You come back from your weekend and find valuables gone from your home.

Anapeg
04-24-2014, 04:50 PM
There are people out there who make a living from tracking people on Facebook.

You write on your wall you are going to camp for the weekend.
They grab metadata from a picture and locate your house on Google maps.
You come back from your weekend and find valuables gone from your home.

It could happen I suppose. Fortunately here they will never be a problem as our house is never, ever, empty. 9 people and three dogs, very vociferous dogs, live here. On top of that there is nothing worth the effort to steal.

dancingqueen
04-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Why?

Seems Hans did not see this, I will ask again....

Daiv
04-24-2014, 08:35 PM
He answered that that, didn't he?

Soonet-china
04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Worse case, delete stuff you are concerned with, or deactivate for awhile

dancingqueen
04-25-2014, 07:40 AM
From the link Bite Me posted:

But if you use one or more of the currently popular photo-sharing and social media web sites (such as Facebook and Twitter), geotagging is not much of an issue because those sites now automatically strip some or all of the Exif metadata from uploaded pictures in order to protect user privacy.

chickaDee
04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Soonet needs a like button :D

chickaDee
04-25-2014, 09:16 AM
When you deactivate your account no one can see your profile anymore, when they click your profile it will say page not found. But you can always log back in and re activate it. Im shocked by the amounts of personal info people put as their status. Every little thing and they post.

Anapeg
04-25-2014, 09:40 AM
I have people post pictures of their bloody suppers. Asinine! Then we have those who lay out their itinerary for the day, that is always a good read.

Anna Noyance
04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
I detest the vague booking! I NEVER ask!

FuZzY
04-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Facebook is great.

nightingale
04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
I have people post pictures of their bloody suppers. Asinine! Then we have those who lay out their itinerary for the day, that is always a good read.

You don't like my pics of meatloaf and pies?

Anapeg
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
I didn't think you would be on here..................

nightingale
04-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I didn't think you would be on here..................

I follow you...