PDA

View Full Version : Are the gospels mythical?

Aristotle
05-04-2014, 09:17 AM
From the earliest days of Christianity, the Gospels’ resemblance to certain myths has been used as an argument against Christian faith. When pagan apologists for the official pantheism of the Roman empire denied that the death-and-resurrection myth of Jesus differed in any significant way from the myths of Dionysus, Osiris, Adonis, Attis, etc., they failed to stem the rising Christian tide. In the last two hundred years, however, as anthropologists have discovered all over the world foundational myths that similarly resemble Jesus’ Passion and Resurrection, the notion of Christianity as a myth seems at last to have taken hold—even among Christian believers.

The Berean
05-04-2014, 01:08 PM
From the earliest days of Christianity, the Gospels’ resemblance to certain myths has been used as an argument against Christian faith. When pagan apologists for the official pantheism of the Roman empire denied that the death-and-resurrection myth of Jesus differed in any significant way from the myths of Dionysus, Osiris, Adonis, Attis, etc., they failed to stem the rising Christian tide. In the last two hundred years, however, as anthropologists have discovered all over the world foundational myths that similarly resemble Jesus’ Passion and Resurrection, the notion of Christianity as a myth seems at last to have taken hold—even among Christian believers.

And are the sources of that information as reliable as Scripture?? I doubt it.

Aristotle
05-04-2014, 05:28 PM
And are the sources of that information as reliable as Scripture?? I doubt it.

If we believe Scripture is the inspired word of God, then nothing in human history could be as "reliable as Scripture".

So, do we cast everything but Scripture aside?

If you believe anything not in Scripture then you are in fact violating your own rule.

The Left Sock
05-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, the fact that Christmas is celebrated to correlate with the Pagan Winter Solstice, and Easter is celebrated to correlate with Pagan Spring rituals, even though Christ's birth and death did not occur on these dates, should give strong evidence that Christianity was tailored deliberately, to coincide with competitive cultural mythology.

Barry Morris
05-04-2014, 06:43 PM
If we believe Scripture is the inspired word of God, then nothing in human history could be as "reliable as Scripture".

So, do we cast everything but Scripture aside?

If you believe anything not in Scripture then you are in fact violating your own rule.

It is therefore obvious that even agreeing with you is fruitless.

Barry Morris
05-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Well, the fact that Christmas is celebrated to correlate with the Pagan Winter Solstice, and Easter is celebrated to correlate with Pagan Spring rituals, even though Christ's birth and death did not occur on these dates, should give strong evidence that Christianity was tailored deliberately, to coincide with competitive cultural mythology.

Why is this a problem? We are pretty sure now when those events actually took place. If the early church wanted to throw a party when the guys down the street had theirs, big deal!!

The Left Sock
05-04-2014, 06:57 PM
The details of Jesus's birth seem pretty important, since it is one of the only life events that is well chronicled in the Bible, until age 30. Due to that, one would think his birthday would hold more significance than to just be slapped onto to the Winter Solstice in order to seduce Pagans.

From an outsider point of view, it makes Christianity look more like a faith of mythological opportunity, than one based in truth.

The Left Sock
05-04-2014, 07:01 PM
In other words, if they are willing to mock-up Jesus's birth date to benefit themselves, what other omissions of fact were the early Christians willing to undertake, in order to become more popular?

We go right back to the issue of whether or not Jesus had a wife. If it was advantageous to leave that part out, it could explain why there is such a large blank in the Bible, with regard to the life of Jesus in early adulthood.

Aristotle
05-04-2014, 07:23 PM
It is therefore obvious that even agreeing with you is fruitless.

You didn't agree with me, you attacked the source of the article

Aristotle
05-04-2014, 07:24 PM
We go right back to the issue of whether or not Jesus had a wife. If it was advantageous to leave that part out, it could explain why there is such a large blank in the Bible, with regard to the life of Jesus in early adulthood.

Why wasn't she at the crucifixion?

Why did the Apostles take care of Jesus' mother after his death,but not his wife?

Why were His apostles changed by Him,but no mention of His wife doing anything significant after His death?

Easy:because Jesus never had a wife.

The Left Sock
05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
There were women at the crucifixion, allegedly.

Not so easy, after all!

Aristotle
05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
There were women at the crucifixion, allegedly.

Not so easy, after all!

Yes, we are told His mother, Mary, and the prostitute He befriended, Mary Magdalene.

Strange they didn't see fit to lump His 'wife' in there, too

The Left Sock
05-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Seems like kind of a high-risk activity for a prostitute who was once almost stoned by a crowd, no?

The Berean
05-04-2014, 10:21 PM
You didn't agree with me, you attacked the source of the article

If there's a worse way to look at anything, you pick it.

The Berean
05-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Seems like kind of a high-risk activity for a prostitute who was once almost stoned by a crowd, no?

Are you inferring, (swallowing) the story about Jesus wife being that woman found in adultery??

Aristotle
05-05-2014, 08:23 AM

That same crowd followed her around a few years later?

Jesus told the crowd they could stone her, and let the first one to throw a stone be the one without sin.

They declined his offer.

Bluesky
05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Until someone offers proof that the Roman world even celebrated Winter and Spring Solstice as a pagan festival, this thread should ot go anywhere. Then one can discuss whether Christianity is a Copycat religion.

Show documentation that by the 2nd century, Romans actually celebrated these events. I am not saying they didn't. But that is the start position for this assertion.

The Left Sock
05-07-2014, 06:27 PM
"Until someone offers proof that the Roman world even celebrated Winter and Spring Solstice as a pagan festival, this thread should ot go anywhere. Then one can discuss whether Christianity is a Copycat religion."

My original point: "Well, the fact that Christmas is celebrated to correlate with the Pagan Winter Solstice, and Easter is celebrated to correlate with Pagan Spring rituals, even though Christ's birth and death did not occur on these dates, should give strong evidence that Christianity was tailored deliberately, to coincide with competitive cultural mythology."

Now, where do you see any claim that Romans celebrated Pagan festivals? You don't.

The Pagans celebrated Pagan festivals, so when it came time to start celebrating Christmas and Easter, these holidays were set up to coincide with Pagan festivals, in order to lure Pagans into Christianity. After all, a party is a party!

The only thing that is not 'going anywhere' is that post!

Bluesky
05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
OK, so prove that Pagans celebrated those Pagan festivals, and then show historically that there is a causative correlation between those events and the christian holidays.

The Left Sock
05-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Moving goalposts, and fumbling backwards. Not the sign of someone who is confident in their possession of the 'absolute truth', I think.

Aristotle
05-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Moving goalposts, and fumbling backwards. Not the sign of someone who is confident in their possession of the 'absolute truth', I think.

...or, deconstructing your premise, block by block

The Left Sock
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
I like you - you make me laugh!

Bluesky
05-08-2014, 11:27 AM
This is a sliver of an issue. Not really all that interesting, but please do back up your assertions. You have an annoying habit of asserting populist notions without fact checking.

The Left Sock
05-08-2014, 11:32 AM
The bunny at Easter - where did it come from?

The egg at Easter - where did it come from?

The tree at Christmas - where did it com from?

The answer; all of these are traditional Pagan symbols, adopted by Christians, to help foster the transition from Pagan holidays, to Christian ones.

All you have to do is open your eyes. The 'backup' to 'my assertions' will be back in your living room, come December. The backup to my other assertions just got hidden, found, and eaten, a couple of weeks ago.

You don't need a link to an obscure opinion piece on the web, in order to see basic reality, do you?

Aristotle
05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
You have an annoying habit of asserting populist notions without fact checking.

Intellectual laziness, unfortunately

Aristotle
05-08-2014, 11:34 AM

wait...WHAT???????

LOLOLOL

The Left Sock
05-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Problem with your speakers?

The Left Sock
05-08-2014, 11:40 AM
The fish symbol some folks associate with Christianity - where did it come from?

That's right... it's a Pagan symbol as well!

Aristotle
05-08-2014, 11:54 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Christians worldwide to stop worshiping trees and eggs, and now question whether bunnies can truly save their souls

The Left Sock
05-08-2014, 12:05 PM
You think this is breaking news?

There have been Christian kooks running around for years, trying to convince people to stop including Pagan idolatry in their Holiday celebrations!

The Left Sock
05-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Wouldn't want to be accused of not 'backing up my assertions', so here you go!

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/holidays/holidays.php

Aristotle
05-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Sock :)

Bluesky
05-08-2014, 01:16 PM

The answer; all of these are traditional Pagan symbols, adopted by Christians, to help foster the transition from Pagan holidays, to Christian ones.

All you have to do is open your eyes. The 'backup' to 'my assertions' will be back in your living room, come December. The backup to my other assertions just got hidden, found, and eaten, a couple of weeks ago.

You don't need a link to an obscure opinion piece on the web, in order to see basic reality, do you?

I'm not arguing dat wid you.
I just want to see more than bald assertions. Otherwise it's just opinion.
I'd like to know just where in history those customs began.