PDA

View Full Version : Myths about Marriage

Bluesky
05-27-2014, 08:05 AM
This is what I have observed and have been sayoing ever since we first argued about this on Soonet.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/author-debunks-myths-about-divorce-rates-including-of-churchgoers-119843/

After looking at dozens of studies, I believe one of the most meaningful statistics is the one I mentioned earlier: 72% of people are still married to their first spouse.

The highest-risk age group today is baby boomers, and many of that group have had thirty years of chances to get divorced. And among those who have only been married once, even seven in ten baby boomers are still married to their first spouse!

Another very important finding was that the rate of divorce is not the same in the church. That is a misunderstanding of Barna Group data because Barna was not trying to study divorce "in the church." They were studying beliefs, so those who said they held Christian beliefs had the same divorce rate as those who said they didn't. But since Barna wasn't studying actions, the researchers didn't include worship attendance in the analysis.

So I partnered with Barna and we re-ran the numbers: and if the person was in church the prior week, their divorce rate dropped 27% compared to those who weren't! Many studies have found that church attendance drops the divorce rate 25-50% compared to those who don't attend. It also increases happiness in marriage and has several other dramatic life and marriage outcomes that we cover in the book.

Barry Morris
05-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Which looks a lot more like what we see.

Anapeg
05-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Catholic schools teach grade schoolers of a 50% divorce rate. When I look at my kids as well as my kids kids friends, it bears if not out, very close. I am not disputing your data simply offering what I see on a daily basis.

Barry Morris
05-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Catholic schools teach grade schoolers of a 50% divorce rate. When I look at my kids as well as my kids kids friends, it bears if not out, very close. I am not disputing your data simply offering what I see on a daily basis.

"...the researchers didn't include worship attendance in the analysis." and neither does your story.

Anapeg
05-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Parochial School with all the baggage that implies. The vast majority attended regularly, the balance on high holidays. While there I came to believe many if not in fact most were at church to be seen rather than to worship. The last vestiges of a system where money and compliance sat toward the front and those less endowed sat in the rear. We still had many who walked about with that inane christian smirk ala David Mainse plastered on their fisogs and had their hands limply folded oer their paunch.

Barry Morris
05-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Now to determine is this a characteristic of certain denominations. I think it is.

The Left Sock
05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
I think piousness and snobbery go hand in hand, across denominational divides.

As a Buddhist living in North America, I have the benefit of experiencing condescension from lots of different people who worship Christ, in one form or another.

Barry Morris
05-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Or claim they do, which is my point.

Tell me, how does one recognize a Buddist in name only??

Anapeg
05-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Or claim they do, which is my point.

Tell me, how does one recognize a Buddhist in name only??

I wondered but reconsidered.

The Left Sock
05-29-2014, 08:55 PM
What does that mean 'a Buddhist in name only'? What, you mean because I don't wear monk's robes? Christians don't wear uniforms. Do we recognize them as 'Christians in name only'?

I don't get it.

Anapeg
05-29-2014, 09:10 PM
What does that mean 'a Buddhist in name only'? What, you mean because I don't wear monk's robes? Christians don't wear uniforms. Do we recognize them as 'Christians in name only'?

I don't get it.

Unless you do wear the attire, how does one recognize you as a practicing Buddhist to be condescending toward you?

The Left Sock
05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Dinner conversations, mostly.

Family gatherings.

Work related meetings.

It can happen anywhere - sometimes in a very subtle manner.

Barry Morris
05-29-2014, 10:49 PM

I don't get it.

And yet you said, "I think piousness and snobbery go hand in hand, across denominational divides." Seems you recognize somethings about the way Christians act. Can you tell how they are SUPPOSED to act??

On the OP, it is obvious to those of us in regular attendance that those in regular attendance have a significantly lower divorce rate that those who do not regularly attend,

The Left Sock
05-30-2014, 04:11 AM
"Can you tell how they are SUPPOSED to act??"

- I would like to see a little more of the humility they claim to value, rather than the overcompensating confidence that conceals their insecurity.

"On the OP, it is obvious to those of us in regular attendance that those in regular attendance have a significantly lower divorce rate that those who do not regularly attend,"

- So you are saying that highly consistent people tend to be consistent? I guess I can go along with that.

Barry Morris
05-30-2014, 10:54 AM
"Can you tell how they are SUPPOSED to act??"

- I would like to see a little more of the humility they claim to value, rather than the overcompensating confidence that conceals their insecurity.

Interesting judgement. Insecurity?? That makes no sense. If we're right, you lose, if we're wrong, we lose nothing. Why on EARTH would I be insecure!! :) :)

"On the OP, it is obvious to those of us in regular attendance that those in regular attendance have a significantly lower divorce rate that those who do not regularly attend,"

- So you are saying that highly consistent people tend to be consistent? I guess I can go along with that.

Indeed. Consistent in all things in life, instead of looking for the next titilating thrill!!!

The Left Sock
05-30-2014, 01:29 PM
"If we're right, you lose, if we're wrong, we lose nothing. Why on EARTH would I be insecure!!"

That's where you are dead wrong. Because if you're wrong, you will have wasted your whole life chasing rainbows, and no time at all ever considering the alternatives.

I don't call that 'losing nothing'. Unless life itself, means nothing to you.

My life has meaning, without mythology. I'm brave enough to face the truth, whether or not there is a cosmic referee out there keeping score. The need to project a mythological being over top of everything I did in life, would mean I have a serious case of insecurity, in my view.

Barry Morris
05-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Indeed, I would be a poor Christian indeed if I wasted my life chasing rainbows. But of course, that is not the case. Loving one's fellow man is something a real Christian should be doing, at all levels, and if I spend my life doing that, as I believe I am called to do, then even your standards would be met.

Your life has meaning, to you, if you believe it will end, and all that you are, and think, your self awareness will disappear??? Sorry, that makes no sense to me.

I believe that life is bigger than what I can see. That means God. Explain it?? No. Security in it?? Abso-freakin'-lutely!!! :) :) :)

dancingqueen
05-30-2014, 06:00 PM
If we're right, you lose, if we're wrong, we lose nothing. Why on EARTH would I be insecure!!
Sorry, Pascal's wager only holds water against arguments related to Atheism. (Do you think God is cool with that line of thinking by the way? "I believe in you God because I have nothing to loose")

Loving one's fellow man is something a real Christian should be doing, at all levels, and if I spend my life doing that, as I believe I am called to do, then even your standards would be met.
You kinda do an awful job at that. Just sayin'

Barry Morris
05-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Sorry, Pascal's wager only holds water against arguments related to Atheism. (Do you think God is cool with that line of thinking by the way? "I believe in you God because I have nothing to loose")

Might be, if that was the way I actually think.

You kinda do an awful job at that. Just sayin'

I've heard that before from people who never actually speak to me. I give it the credence it's worth.

dancingqueen
05-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Might be, if that was the way I actually think.
You used Pascal's wager as an argument here, in this discussion it is irrelevant, even if you don't believe it, it does not logically apply in not Atheist arguments.

I've heard that before from people who never actually speak to me. I give it the credence it's worth.
You can choose to ignore your lack of love or you can address it, the choice is yours.

Barry Morris
05-31-2014, 10:59 AM
....You can choose to ignore your lack of love or you can address it, the choice is yours.

You might consider dropping your preconceived notions about how Christians think once in a while.

dancingqueen
05-31-2014, 10:56 PM
My notions about how Christians think does not need changing, I have many Christian friends.

Barry Morris
05-31-2014, 11:21 PM
Mmmmmmm...

Anapeg
06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
My notions about how Christians think does not need changing, I have many Christian friends.

You decry preconceived notions regarding sexual preference yet are comfortable harbouring preconceived notions regarding Christianity? Care for another piece of cake?

dancingqueen
06-02-2014, 05:58 PM
You decry preconceived notions regarding sexual preference yet are comfortable harbouring preconceived notions regarding Christianity? Care for another piece of cake?

I don't hold any preconceived notions of Christians. Like I said, I have many friends that follow that religion, and various other religions. I will not judge a person by their religion, but by their character alone.

Barry Morris
06-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Hey Anapeg, when people get to know each other beyond words on a BBS, does it make a difference??

Anapeg
06-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Hey Anapeg, when people get to know each other beyond words on a BBS, does it make a difference??

One is more apt to read and understand my signature.

dancingqueen
06-02-2014, 10:05 PM
One is more apt to read and understand my signature.

That point has already been addressed.
I have met Barry, and I don't happen to like him. I don't care what he has been through, it does not change the fact that his personality is something to be desired from my perspective
(Since now that we are talking about involved posters as if they weren't right there)

Barry Morris
06-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah we met, at a coffee meet at Everywoman's about three years ago..

I said "Hi, *****" and that was the end of it!!

Too much.