PDA

View Full Version : Harper Throwing 'God' Around Causes Buzz

The Left Sock
07-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Prime Minister Harper has been throwing the word 'God' around lately, most notably for the Canada Day celebrations. The internet is buzzing about this, with both sides of the Christian/non-Christian camps firing salvos at each other:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/stephen-harper-mentions-god-twice-canada-day-tweet-212054142.html

So, it begs the question; what is Harper up to? It's obvious he hasn't done anything legislatively to help Christians on any real social issues that are paramount to their beliefs. So, what's with the sudden interest in mentioning God?

I think he knows he only has to be seen as marginally more Christian than any other candidate in the next federal election, in order to secure their votes. Sadly, Christians tend to be gullible, and vote for the most religious guy on the ballet, regardless of their actual leadership abilities or real political agenda. So, Harper doesn't have to be Christian enough to satisfy true believers - he just has to be more Christian than the guy standing next to him in the debates.

There are only so many oil barons and captains of industry, not nearly enough to keep Harper in power. In order to keep hold of the brass ring, he needs to pander to the religious right, if he has any hope of staying in power.

Barry Morris
07-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Sadly, "intellectuals" tend to be gullible, and vote for the least religious guy on the ballet, and vote for the least religious guy on the ballet, regardless of their actual leadership abilities or real political agenda.

The Left Sock
07-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Please name one thing Harper has done in all his years as Prime Minister, that would justify continued support from the religious right.

Absolutely nothing. But if he throws the word 'God' around a couple of times, you'll be happy to vote for him again.

The price of that ballot comes pretty cheap, no?

At least 'intellectuals' have other reasons why they vote the way they do. How about those Christians? Got any other reason for voting for Harper, other than the vague impression he represents your religious beliefs?

Barry Morris
07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Please name one thing Harper has done in all his years as Prime Minister, that would justify continued support from the religious right.

Absolutely nothing. But if he throws the word 'God' around a couple of times, you'll be happy to vote for him again.

The price of that ballot comes pretty cheap, no?

At least 'intellectuals' have other reasons why they vote the way they do. How about those Christians? Got any other reason for voting for Harper, other than the vague impression he represents your religious beliefs?

Sure I do. Amazing how you talk, but not listen.

Harper can do nothing in a democratic society, except go along with the wishes of the majority. Why, for example can he do nothing about abortion?? Simple, the majority won't stand for it.

In point of fact, as I have stated many times, before your biased, unseeing eyes, it matters very little who gets into power. They will act the same once they get there.

Just the way it is.

Bill Nash
07-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Candidate "A" says, "I support a woman's right to abortion" (a justified platform)
Candidate "B" says, "I support the death penalty" (a justified platform)
Candidate "C" says, "God will deal with terrorists" (passing the buck to a theory)

The average Canadian will find fault with Candidate A or B, but will see Candidate C as harmless. The moderately active Christian will find Candidate A or B totally unacceptable, and jump on the bandwagon of Candidate C.

Candidate C wins every time, ....

Anapeg
07-03-2014, 11:14 AM
The PC's have in the past, do now, and will in the future, model themselves and worship American style government (See Lyin' Brian). This 'blip' is just a further move in that direction.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Who cares that Harper mentions God in a tweet? It is a free country and we can say those kinds of things whether you are Prime Minister or just a tiny civilian.

Barry Morris
07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Candidate "A" says, "I support a woman's right to abortion" (a justified platform)
Candidate "B" says, "I support the death penalty" (a justified platform)
Candidate "C" says, "God will deal with terrorists" (passing the buck to a theory)

The average Canadian will find fault with Candidate A or B, but will see Candidate C as harmless. The moderately active Christian will find Candidate A or B totally unacceptable, and jump on the bandwagon of Candidate C.

Candidate C wins every time, ....

If there was any reality to this, only one party would EVER rule!!!

Obviously it's a crock.

Barry Morris
07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Who cares that Harper mentions God in a tweet? It is a free country and we can say those kinds of things whether you are Prime Minister or just a tiny civilian.

Makes me wonder how on earth Wynne ever got in!!!

Official Cat of Soonet
07-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Makes me wonder how on earth Wynne ever got in!!!

Voters are stupider than politicians.

Anapeg
07-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Voters are stupider than politicians.

Politicians and their supporters can lie through their teeth time and again with no recourse BUT it is against the law for us to lie to the police and the courts under punishment of the law. We stand on guard in the land of the enslaved.

The Left Sock
07-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Sure I do. Amazing how you talk, but not listen.

Harper can do nothing in a democratic society, except go along with the wishes of the majority. Why, for example can he do nothing about abortion?? Simple, the majority won't stand for it.

In point of fact, as I have stated many times, before your biased, unseeing eyes, it matters very little who gets into power. They will act the same once they get there.

Just the way it is.

I may have difficulty with 'listening', but my 'reality' meter is working just fine. And my reality meter is telling me that everything you just said is a cop-out, to excuse the fact that you continue to vote for a guy who doesn't give a crap about your religious values.

Harper has been in power for 8 years now. If he actually cared about abortion, you think he would at least be talking about it, trying to raise awareness, sway the masses to his way of thinking. You see any of that happening? I don't. A real leader who thought genocide was happening right under his nose wouldn't be handcuffed by 'not having enough votes', he would be lobbying and pressing his power in office, in order to try to change attitudes. He has done none of that.

So please don't try to hide behind the fact that Harper has to 'work with the majority' in order to actually care about an issue. It's a cop-out, and you're willing to vote for him, just because you hope he cares, even thought the evidence suggests otherwise.

The Left Sock
07-03-2014, 07:38 PM
And further to my last point, Stephen Harper has enjoyed a majority government for the last three years. What has he done about social issues important to the Christian Right?

That's right, absolutely nothing.

Barry Morris
07-03-2014, 08:38 PM
And further to my last point, Stephen Harper has enjoyed a majority government for the last three years. What has he done about social issues important to the Christian Right?

That's right, absolutely nothing.

This seems to surprise YOU, it sure doesn't surprise ME!! :) :) :)

KDawg
07-03-2014, 09:17 PM
I guess you can assign motive to anything you want.

Harper has never put himself forth as a champion of the "Christian right." He basically paraphrased the national anthem. Big deal.

Anapeg
07-03-2014, 09:45 PM
The majority? Who' majority? Has the common man had a vote?

dancingqueen
07-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Sadly, "intellectuals" tend to be gullible, and vote for the least religious guy on the ballet, and vote for the least religious guy on the ballet, regardless of their actual leadership abilities or real political agenda.

Well as far as I am concerned One's religious beliefs do not even get on the table when I am considering a politician to vote for...
I guess when some people experience cognitive dissonance they feel the need to inflect onto others....

The Left Sock
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
That's okay.... Harper is now puzzling out a strategy to cast a 'kinder, gentler' image to voters. Think they finally woke up and smelled the coffee, after Hudak got trounced in Ontario.

Thinking of Harper trying to improve his image always reminds me of Jim Carrey as the Grinch, when he tried on that tablecloth as a skirt.

Don't think you can get there, from here!

Barry Morris
07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I have never seen any relationship between provincial politics and federal, and my vote has never taken it into consideration. As in the last election.

The Left Sock
07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
You didn't vote Conservative in the last provincial election?

Barry Morris
07-10-2014, 01:52 AM
You didn't vote Conservative in the last provincial election?

Nope!!

Bluesky
07-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Nope!!

Soc is shocked.

Barry Morris
07-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Soc is shocked.

Sure looked like it!! Another presupposition blown out of the water!!! :) :) :)

The Left Sock
07-18-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm just trying to fathom whether you went Liberal, or NDP.

I think 'gobsmacked' is the correct term here.

Wait a minute..... was there some funky Christian party running in the last provincial election? Or did you go Green?

I just don't know what to think, at this juncture!

Barry Morris
07-18-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm just trying to fathom whether you went Liberal, or NDP.

I think 'gobsmacked' is the correct term here.

Wait a minute..... was there some funky Christian party running in the last provincial election? Or did you go Green?

I just don't know what to think, at this juncture!

I've said again and again. ALL political parties MUST act the same way once they get in power. The Liberals were doing a good job, and I saw no reason to vote for an unknown quantity. Sure they made dumb mistakes, but that's not at all unusual for any party.

KDawg
07-19-2014, 07:41 AM
I've said again and again. ALL political parties MUST act the same way once they get in power. The Liberals were doing a good job, and I saw no reason to vote for an unknown quantity. Sure they made dumb mistakes, but that's not at all unusual for any party.
What colour is the sky in your world?

Barry Morris
07-19-2014, 10:40 AM
What colour is the sky in your world?

An insult instead of a comment.