PDA

View Full Version : If you have tinted windows....

Official Cat of Soonet
07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Don't drive around this week. The cops are on a blitz.

Add
07-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Just drive around with the front windows down ;)

73(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle

So it's basically up to the officers discretion at the time. They had a checkpoint out near the new highway today, know a few guys that got ticketed - $110.

KDawg
07-16-2014, 10:00 PM
I'll leave my windows up along with my a/c. I'm a rebel.

Hans
07-17-2014, 07:13 AM
Now what if you purchased a vehicle that came with front tinted windows?

IMHO
07-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Cars you purchase from the dealer(factory stock) with tinted windows are of a LEGAL tint. The problem lies with those who get a tint after the car purchase. I believe the tint ...to be legal...must be so that a police officer can SEE THE DRIVER. Very dark tinted windows are a real danger in night driving....difficult to see out.

Craig SaultOnline
07-17-2014, 03:00 PM
http://www.saultonline.com/2014/07/tinted-windows-might-get-pulled/ I didn't know tinting windows was a problem...

Hans
07-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Cars you purchase from the dealer(factory stock) with tinted windows are of a LEGAL tint. The problem lies with those who get a tint after the car purchase. I believe the tint ...to be legal...must be so that a police officer can SEE THE DRIVER. Very dark tinted windows are a real danger in night driving....difficult to see out.

What about non factory stock purchased at a dealer?

Official Cat of Soonet
07-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Great news. Now people can run slightly redder shades of lights. Thank you Sault police.

Anapeg
07-17-2014, 03:32 PM
First the tint on your windshield then public land is no longer public. I Communism spelt with or without capital letters?

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=75819

Official Cat of Soonet
07-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Meanwhile in the Sault

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Driver: Sorry officer it was an important phone call...

Officer: No that's not why

Driver: Oh well I realize I was going 80 in a 50 zone but....

Officer: No... wanna try again

Driver: That stop sign looked like a yield sign, I'm so.....

Officer: Nope

Driver: I realize there is this open beer in here but it's for...

Officer: Keep trying

Driver: I stole this car and you have been playing me this whole time

Officer: No silly, your windows are tinted. Didn't I just write you a ticket six months ago for parking in the street after midnight?

ssmarie
07-19-2014, 05:23 PM
no, let's call it safety....you can bash the police all you want, but when they pull a driver over I am sure they would feel a lot safer approaching the car and being able to see who the hell is in it.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-19-2014, 06:41 PM
LOL can all the safety people just be quiet. The things people are willing to do for a false sense of safety is hilarious. If someone is going to shoot an officer, tinted windows will not do a thing. This is about money and lazy police. If you were interested in safety you would see them focus on driving infractions. You cannot go out for a 10 minute ride without seeing some sort of idiot driver. Isn't their excuse that they don't have the resources to have a blitz? How about devote those looking for tinted windows to those blowing red lights. It's pure laziness and a police force with no leadership. It's a police force who picks on stupid problems like this and then expect respect from everybody. This is why nobody has respect for police anymore.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-19-2014, 06:45 PM
...in my humble opinion or whatever it is people say.

KDawg
07-19-2014, 06:45 PM
LOL can all the safety people just be quiet. The things people are willing to do for a false sense of safety is hilarious. If someone is going to shoot an officer, tinted windows will not do a thing. This is about money and lazy police. If you were interested in safety you would see them focus on driving infractions. You cannot go out for a 10 minute ride without seeing some sort of idiot driver. Isn't their excuse that they don't have the resources to have a blitz? How about devote those looking for tinted windows to those blowing red lights. It's pure laziness and a police force with no leadership. It's a police force who picks on stupid problems like this and then expect respect from everybody. This is why nobody has respect for police anymore.
I'm with you Cat. And to add, I resent the implication that everyone is suspect (ooh... tinted windows). Another reason the cops can't command any respect anymore.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-19-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm with you Cat. And to add, I resent the implication that everyone is suspect (ooh... tinted windows). Another reason the cops can't command any respect anymore.

How about a press release from the police explaining the dangers of tinted windows and a warning that they will begin a campaign of enforcement? That would have been a nice start and would cost next to nothing. But hey piss off law abiding citizens and then wonder why everyone hates you.

BFLPE
07-19-2014, 08:32 PM
There has been a recent increase in the number of complaints with regards to level of tint in motor vehicles. People actually call the cops to complain about this?

IMHO
07-19-2014, 10:10 PM
How do those that have charged FIX THOSE WINDOWS? Can the tint be easily removed and at what cost? Can they drive their cars until they get "the fix" What IS the fix?

riggs
07-19-2014, 11:20 PM
People need to remember there's a new Police Chief in town. For better or worse, it might be wise to expect some differences in how they operate.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-19-2014, 11:49 PM
He is off to a bad start. It's called priorities and this group need to start prioritizing. I understand it is their job to enforce all laws and that tinted windows are illegal but if it is your goal to make the city more safe, then tinted windows may not be the best crackdown to have. If they applied these priorities in other areas of life we would be hearing parents everywhere telling their kids that they aren't getting any supper until they finish their dessert.

dancingqueen
07-20-2014, 06:36 AM
People actually call the cops to complain about this?

I was wondering the same thing...

KDawg
07-20-2014, 12:18 PM
no, let's call it safety....you can bash the police all you want, but when they pull a driver over I am sure they would feel a lot safer approaching the car and being able to see who the hell is in it.
If that's the mindset, then those people are paranoid pansies and have no business being police officers.

BFLPE
07-20-2014, 01:16 PM
no, let's call it safety....you can bash the police all you want, but when they pull a driver over I am sure they would feel a lot safer approaching the car and being able to see who the hell is in it.You can call it that but since the rear window and the rear door windows can be blacked out I'm not buying it.

That said, all vehicle come off the assembly line with legal tinting. If we had a set standard I wouldn't have any sympathy for those getting fined. As it stands though it's up to the discretion of the Police whether it's too dark or not.

So yeah, an unannounced blitz on this isn't about safety.

Anapeg
07-20-2014, 02:31 PM
You can call it that but since the rear window and the rear door windows can be blacked out I'm not buying it.

That said, all vehicle come off the assembly line with legal tinting. If we had a set standard I wouldn't have any sympathy for those getting fined. As it stands though it's up to the discretion of the Police whether it's too dark or not.

So yeah, an unannounced blitz on this isn't about safety.

There are set standards or so I have been told. It goes by percentage of light restricted.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-20-2014, 02:44 PM
There are set standards or so I have been told. It goes by percentage of light restricted.

Tint-o-meters are not in this years budget. They are going by their own discretion.

BFLPE
07-20-2014, 02:49 PM

I was going by this...

"Window tinting is addressed in sections 73 and 74 of the (Highway Traffic Act) whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle," says Ministry of Transportation spokesman Bob Nichols in an email.

Translation: you have to be able to see outside, and other people, especially police, have to be able to see you.

Ontario's law doesn't specify a percentage of tint - it's up to police to decide whether your windows are too dark.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/tinted-car-windows-whats-allowed-whats-illegal/article17966276/

Anapeg
07-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Cool. I was made aware that "limo tint" having an 80% reduction is unlawful. What comes from the factory is supposedly acceptable or the manufacturer needs foot the bill.

riggs
07-20-2014, 03:32 PM
If that's the mindset, then those people are paranoid pansies and have no business being police officers.

You're right. Who would want to have concern for personal safety?

KDawg
07-20-2014, 04:11 PM
You're right. Who would want to have concern for personal safety?

Everyone behind tinted windows is a potential threat. I know that's how police respond and that's the paranoia part and that's why the police can't command any respect from the public.

riggs
07-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Everyone behind tinted windows is a potential threat. I know that's how police respond and that's the paranoia part and that's why the police can't command any respect from the public.

You'll be interested to know the main reason for this blitz was safety for the general public. (difficult to see other motorist and pedestrians) In any circumstance if they are not comfortable approaching a vehicle with tinted windows, the occupants will be instructed to roll down the windows.

Hans
07-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I was wondering what the laws are in the US. Are there any specific laws about tinted windows?

Hans
07-20-2014, 08:53 PM
When it comes to tinted windows, all I know is border stop points have never given me any issue.
And we all know how picky they can be.
So I don't expect an issue from any other law enforcement agency with regards to the tint on my windows.
If they charge me I will challenge it in court.

Hans
07-20-2014, 08:55 PM
You'll be interested to know the main reason for this blitz was safety for the general public. (difficult to see other motorist and pedestrians) In any circumstance if they are not comfortable approaching a vehicle with tinted windows, the occupants will be instructed to roll down the windows.

I actually find it the opposite. The sunlight is blocked enough so I can actually see them better. It is like wearing sun glasses on a sunny day.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-20-2014, 10:06 PM
I hope the majority fight their ticket.

Barry Morris
07-20-2014, 10:49 PM
When it comes to tinted windows, all I know is border stop points have never given me any issue.
And we all know how picky they can be.

Try not opening your window.

Hans
07-21-2014, 07:10 AM
They have never asked to open the back windows.

riggs
07-21-2014, 07:11 AM
I actually find it the opposite. The sunlight is blocked enough so I can actually see them better. It is like wearing sun glasses on a sunny day.

I generally rely on sunglasses on those days. Unfortunately some of us have to drive in the evening, night or days with less visibility.

riggs
07-21-2014, 07:14 AM
I hope the majority fight their ticket.

I hope so too. I'd love to see the look on their faces when the judge backs the ticket.

IMHO
07-21-2014, 08:36 AM
HOW CAN YOU FIGHT A TICKET THAT WAS GIVEN OUT TO PEOPLE WHO BROKE THE LAW? The police dept is not that dumb that they would issue tickets without making sure they had a case first. You committed a crime(albeit a minor one)...PAY UP.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 08:44 AM
HOW CAN YOU FIGHT A TICKET THAT WAS GIVEN OUT TO PEOPLE WHO BROKE THE LAW? The police dept is not that dumb that they would issue tickets without making sure they had a case first. You committed a crime(albeit a minor one)...PAY UP.

LOL sometimes it is best not to speak.

1. Tinted windows is not a crime at all, not even a minor one.

2. People fight tickets all the time and win or get them reduced.

Barry Morris
07-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Without objective standards, it's just a cops opinion as to tinting. Easily beaten.

The Left Sock
07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Personally, I'm in favour of the cops cracking down on the blacked-out windows rolling around town. When a cop pulls someone over - they need to see what the occupants of the car are doing for their own safety. Plus for legal reasons, people need to see who was behind the wheel and identify the driver, if a crime is committed by someone on the road.

The only reason someone would need to have their side windows blacked-out is if they are up to no good. If the sun bothers your eyes, wear some sunglasses. I don't want to share the road with dope-smoking, beer-drinking, phone-texting yahoos who think they are invisible, and/or invincible.

IMHO
07-21-2014, 01:48 PM
I doubt the police would be issuing tickets if the charges will not stand up in court. If there is a legal tint and you go beyond that limit..PAY UP. I would suspect that tickets were only issued to drivers that could not be seen by the police officers...therefore...the charges are legit. PAY UP.

riggs
07-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Without objective standards, it's just a cops opinion as to tinting. Easily beaten.

A few may whine for a reduction but this won't be "easily beaten"

riggs
07-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Who would be responsible for setting the "objective standard"?

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 01:54 PM
It has nothing to do with "beating" it. You go and say yes my windows are tinted, im sorry.

harvey the wonder hamster
07-21-2014, 02:13 PM
It has nothing to do with "beating" it. You go and say yes my windows are tinted, im sorry.

NO you don't, you say "sorry mr officer, but atleast I don't have my breathalyzer to blow into anymore"

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 02:14 PM
NO you don't, you say "sorry mr officer, but atleast I don't have my breathalyzer to blow into anymore"

I'm talking about to the justice of the peace. Genius. We are talking about already having the ticket. Impaired is a criminal charge while tinted windows is a HTA infraction. Try to keep up.

07-21-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm not into keeping up with loser alcoholics that can't keep jobs, sorry

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm not into keeping up with loser alcoholics that can't keep jobs, sorry

Well then don't expect others to love you until you love yourself.

07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
you don't know me

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 02:46 PM
you don't know me

Did you ever appear on Maury?

07-21-2014, 02:48 PM
did you ever brush your teeth?

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
The alcohol takes care of all that. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Phantom post again?

My welcome...what?

07-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I am a lady.

07-21-2014, 03:08 PM
A nasty one with a stinky ******.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
I am a lady.

Oops. I am embarrassed. It is so hard to tell the difference between gender and elevated testosterone levels online.

dancingqueen
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
I am a lady.

Judging from your comments, that's debatable.

dancingqueen
07-21-2014, 03:13 PM
I wonder if an alcohol based douche would get rid of the smell? Maybe official kitty can come and spit in it to make it smell better?

:zip:

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 03:13 PM
:zip:

I just imagined a 10 foot pole saying "hey don't look at me"

07-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Let's do it Xtopher, let's have a debate! I'll jump on the concord and be in TO in twenty, meet me at pearson

07-21-2014, 03:16 PM
oh wait I cant afford a concord, maybe if I return my empties I can

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 03:20 PM
The concord? Tell us about that.

07-21-2014, 03:22 PM
It's a fast plane.

dancingqueen
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Let's do it Xtopher, let's have a debate! I'll jump on the concord and be in TO in twenty, meet me at pearson

you kidding me? It takes me like 2 hrs to get to Pearson

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
It's a fast plane.

No it isn't.

07-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh excuse me, it was a fast plane, jet if you want to be specific.

riggs
07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
I am a lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTvj0i8R1Kc

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh excuse me, it was a fast plane, jet if you want to be specific.

You're excused.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 03:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTvj0i8R1Kc

LOL. I have to check on a whistling sound.

Hans
07-21-2014, 06:09 PM
I doubt the police would be issuing tickets if the charges will not stand up in court. If there is a legal tint and you go beyond that limit..PAY UP. I would suspect that tickets were only issued to drivers that could not be seen by the police officers...therefore...the charges are legit. PAY UP.

But what if the car came like that? Why should I pay if the car was certified with the tinted windows?
And I have been stopped before, nobody said anything about the tinted windows.
If they were good enough back then, they are good enough now. Nothing changed.

Hans
07-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Because the law is not always black and white.

" ... that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. "

The word "substantially" is open to interpretation.
If I can see out fine I don't consider that "substantially".

riggs
07-21-2014, 06:30 PM
But what if the car came like that? Why should I pay if the car was certified with the tinted windows?
If they were good enough back then, they are good enough now. Nothing changed.

So you would like the police to stop and ticket you every time you speed or just once in a while?

riggs
07-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Because the law is not always black and white.

" ... that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. "

The word "substantially" is open to interpretation.
If I can see out fine I don't consider that "substantially".

Seeing out fine is left to interpretation. Just not yours.

Hans
07-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Seeing out fine is left to interpretation. Just not yours.

The issue with that is that I am the one who has to see out. I don't see how anybody else besides me can determine if I can see out fine or not.
It is not interpretation.

Hans
07-21-2014, 07:43 PM
So you would like the police to stop and ticket you every time you speed or just once in a while?

Every time. Consistency is what matters when it comes to applying the law.
Otherwise you are in danger of creating a tiered law system.

IMHO
07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Hans;750269]But what if the car came like that? Why should I pay if the car was certified with the tinted windows?
If they were good enough back then, they are good enough now. Nothing changed

if THE CAR came from the factory then the tint is legal. We are talking about those that go to a local shop and have them tint their windows as dark as possible.

riggs
07-21-2014, 08:39 PM
The issue with that is that I am the one who has to see out. I don't see how anybody else besides me can determine if I can see out fine or not.

Then how can it be determined that you'll apply the necessary common sense when making this judgement? How is it determined you're not out for image like most are? It's like so many other rules and laws. People have proven to lack good judgement..............ie.........drinking and driving, cell phone usage, smoking with children and so many others.

The Left Sock
07-21-2014, 08:40 PM
It seems that the simple solution would be to ban the sale of after-market window tint products. If you can't order it from the car factory, you can't have it.

Problem solved.

The Voice
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM

It is not about seeing OUT it is about seeing IN.

riggs
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Every time. Consistency is what matters when it comes to applying the law.
Otherwise you are in danger of creating a tiered law system.

I believe you'd regret being treated in that manner. We all tend to push the rules a little.

Official Cat of Soonet
07-21-2014, 10:43 PM
I would love to see a week long major blitz on speeding, redlights and other careless driving things. If they had those I wouldn't care about tinted window crackdowns. There is no reason not to have big crackdowns on these things. If safety is the he concern, take care of the big issue first. That's the only thing that's annoying.

Hans
07-22-2014, 07:10 AM
[QUOTE=Hans;750269]But what if the car came like that? Why should I pay if the car was certified with the tinted windows?
If they were good enough back then, they are good enough now. Nothing changed

if THE CAR came from the factory then the tint is legal. We are talking about those that go to a local shop and have them tint their windows as dark as possible.

But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a second hand vehicle, certified with the "aftermarket" tinted windows.

Hans
07-22-2014, 07:11 AM
It is not about seeing OUT it is about seeing IN.

And since you are looking in and out, is that not the same?

Hans
07-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Then how can it be determined that you'll apply the necessary common sense when making this judgement? How is it determined you're not out for image like most are? It's like so many other rules and laws. People have proven to lack good judgement..............ie.........drinking and driving, cell phone usage, smoking with children and so many others.

What does seeing out have to do with judgment?

riggs
07-22-2014, 12:56 PM
What does seeing out have to do with judgment?

It would appear this conversation is over....lol

Barry Morris
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Appears that, if it ever becomes available for cars, Smart Glass would be the solution!!

http://www.glass-apps.com/products/smart-glass-windows/?gclid=CKa-vteB2r8CFehcMgodYHgAIw

Hans
07-22-2014, 08:52 PM
It would appear this conversation is over....lol

I have more ammo. I just gassed up next to a canine unit, and he looked at the car but did not write a ticket.
So there, proof this whole tinted window thing is not an issue.

riggs
07-22-2014, 09:38 PM
I have more ammo. I just gassed up next to a canine unit, and he looked at the car but did not write a ticket.
So there, proof this whole tinted window thing is not an issue.

Take it to the next level. Drive up to the police station and insist they look at the tint on your windows. That way you can say you brought it right to their door step. Did you see Justice in the Canine Unit or were the windows tinted?

Hans
07-22-2014, 09:39 PM
I could actually hear the canine unit, but not see it due to the tint on the windows.
That would actually be another good point to bring up.

Hans
07-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Actually, I am simply going to show them an internet picture and tell them to check out the tint on this puppy: https://www.facebook.com/ssmpolice/photos/pb.388692404498259.-2207520000.1406076375./770271649673664/?type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpf1%2Ft1.0-9%2F1526861_770271649673664_521721682359070556_n.j pg&size=960%2C720&fbid=770271649673664

Official Cat of Soonet
07-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Actually, I am simply going to show them an internet picture and tell them to check out the tint on this puppy: https://www.facebook.com/ssmpolice/photos/pb.388692404498259.-2207520000.1406076375./770271649673664/?type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpf1%2Ft1.0-9%2F1526861_770271649673664_521721682359070556_n.j pg&size=960%2C720&fbid=770271649673664

That's crazy. There could be 100 guns on there. Totally not safe.

OU812
07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
you CAN NOT have a law that leaves it up to the discretion of the officer when other provinces have an actual meter that detects percentage of light. that is what you base a decision on. everyone is so quick to jump on the "i think its a good law" band wagon....does anyone pay attenion to how close we are getting to a policed state? every time a law is passed you are one step closer to breaking the law. when we moved from laws being about right and wrong and now just being because we need common sense written in stone, we have failed....kids are growing up feeling that if there is no law against it, do it. that is worse than there being a law. i for one do not need the police to tell me that i am a reponsible adult....i just am.

theShadow
07-24-2014, 07:06 PM
I would love to see a week long major blitz on speeding, redlights and other careless driving things. If they had those I wouldn't care about tinted window crackdowns. There is no reason not to have big crackdowns on these things. If safety is the he concern, take care of the big issue first. That's the only thing that's annoying.

And that is what separates safety issues from revenue generation. They can use the tint issue if they want to use it for an excuse to peak in your car, but to have a blitz and spend resources on it is all about the bucks.

I am surprised if they don't have a definitive measure for tint darkness. Limo tint (I forget the %) in the front or any tint below 10" from the top of the windshield is illegal in these parts.