PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Imaginative, People

Aristotle
09-07-2014, 07:51 AM
there has to be some way to pin this on the U.S.:

Add another black mark to Canada’s environmental image around the world: The country now leads the planet in the degradation of untouched forests, according to a study from Forest Watch.

Some 8 per cent of the world’s virgin forests were degraded between 2000 and 2013, according to the study. That’s 104 million acres, or an area about three times the size of Germany, Forest Watch said.

“That means human activities disturbed 20,000 hectares of pristine forest every day for the past 13 years,” the group said.

Of that degradation, more than a fifth — 21.4 per cent — occurred in Canada, the study found. That’s more than any other country. Russia, in second place, accounted for 20.4 per cent of the damaged or destroyed virgin forests, while Brazil, site of the Amazon rainforest, accounted for slightly more than 14 per cent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/05/canada-deforestation-worst-in-world_n_5773142.html

but, it is a tolerant and compassionate raping of the land, so there is a silver lining to the dark cloud.

Barry Morris
09-07-2014, 08:56 AM
The application of one of Mark Twain's damn lies.

The Left Sock
09-07-2014, 09:15 AM
It's not our fault that most of Canada is virgin forest.

If the Americans hadn't cut down so many trees already, they would be able to get great prices on toilet paper as well.

Have you seen the price for toilet paper in the US? It's outrageous!

BFLPE
09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
"Not all the degradation is due to logging — some of it is due to forest fires, which Forest Watch’s Lee blames on climate change."

Global warming rears it's ugly head, lol.

riggs
09-07-2014, 11:46 AM
there has to be some way to pin this on the U.S.:

Add another black mark to Canada’s environmental image around the world: The country now leads the planet in the degradation of untouched forests, according to a study from Forest Watch.

Some 8 per cent of the world’s virgin forests were degraded between 2000 and 2013, according to the study. That’s 104 million acres, or an area about three times the size of Germany, Forest Watch said.

“That means human activities disturbed 20,000 hectares of pristine forest every day for the past 13 years,” the group said.

Of that degradation, more than a fifth — 21.4 per cent — occurred in Canada, the study found. That’s more than any other country. Russia, in second place, accounted for 20.4 per cent of the damaged or destroyed virgin forests, while Brazil, site of the Amazon rainforest, accounted for slightly more than 14 per cent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/05/canada-deforestation-worst-in-world_n_5773142.html

but, it is a tolerant and compassionate raping of the land, so there is a silver lining to the dark cloud.

Then stop buying it and clear your conscience................

dancingqueen
09-07-2014, 11:53 AM
"Not all the degradation is due to logging — some of it is due to forest fires, which Forest Watch’s Lee blames on climate change."

Lol, do you have a source? I could really use some comedy gold this morning...
It does not strike me as unlikely mind you, I just love a good chuckle.

Igor
09-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Desperate measures call for desperate actions. You are getting desperate finding articles to suit your agenda. Keep trying! Keep enjoying our forest products because you have no sources left for your own.

BFLPE
09-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Lol, do you have a source?That's a qoute from the article the OP linked to.

Aristotle
09-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Desperate measures call for desperate actions. You are getting desperate finding articles to suit your agenda. Keep trying! Keep enjoying our forest products because you have no sources left for your own.

source? link?

Aristotle
09-07-2014, 12:57 PM

yes, because we've never had forest fires until the last two decades.

Excellent point!

Aristotle
09-07-2014, 12:57 PM
The application of one of Mark Twain's damn lies.

http://www.askingsmarterquestions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

Anapeg
09-07-2014, 01:34 PM
yes, because we've never had forest fires until the last two decades.

Excellent point!

It is a direct quote from your article, now you refute it?

Anapeg
09-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I pose a serious query. To assume the math correct, we are losing forest at an alarming rate and supposing they have allowed for Canada's ongoing reforestation policy, how do you replace wood. Wood for paper, wood for homes, wood for most any construction sky scrapers aside. Wood cellulose itself is a product of necessity. What, made of wood, could we alter, dispose of or otherwise curtail our usage? All this while not breaking the bank of course. Metal studs do not cut it, they rot and are flimsy, suited for nothing more than an inside wall and not for basements of damp areas. The world depends heavily on wood and wood products and by products.
I had always assumed Canada' reforestation was the real deal but according to our learned neighbour, or at least his distasteful article we lack, severely. I mean distasteful in the truest sense as it stings to see we do so poorly as to be worse than Russia. I had believed all forestry inside Canada to be augmented by replanting, bar none. Any commercial concern had to renew that which they had cut. If replanting is outstripped by cutting the end result is clear. At 21+ percent per decade(?) it will not take long.

Aristotle
09-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I've seen a stat that says reforestation has worked very well. In fact,we supposedly have more forested land now than when Columbus ventured over to hemisphere.

Anapeg
09-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I've seen a stat that says reforestation has worked very well. In fact,we supposedly have more forested land now than when Columbus ventured over to hemisphere.

You use the word "we", is this an American "we" or inclusive we?

Aristotle
09-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I believe it was said about North America

KDawg
09-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Advancements in firefighting techniques and technology like protective gear and water-bombers have saved unknown numbers of forests over the last 500 years. Yes there is plenty of forested land in Canada and North America.

If it's a natural resource we own, we'll use it.

The Left Sock
09-07-2014, 07:03 PM
All you need to do, to understand the real situation, is to jump on Google, go to maps, select 'satellite', then zoom around the heavily forested areas in America and Canada, and take a look at all the logging operations going on.

There are enormous tracts of untouched forest in Canada, but you will be hard-pressed to find anything similar in the US. Some mountainous regions appear untouched, but that's only because they can't figure out a way to get into extremely difficult terrain, and extract logs efficiently. At least, not yet. There are crews using helicopters now, and extracting one log at a time, but they are very selective about which ones they pick, because the price of the log has to exceed the cost of extraction, or they don't make a profit.

Anapeg
09-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Advancements in firefighting techniques and technology like protective gear and water-bombers have saved unknown numbers of forests over the last 500 years. Yes there is plenty of forested land in Canada and North America.

If it's a natural resource we own, we'll use it.

Is your lead in sentence not a contradiction in terms? I do not believe we actively fought forest fires until somewhere within the last 100 years or so and prior to that you fought to keep your own home from going up in flames. Aristotle can correct me but does the U.S. not bother fighting fires inside larger parks and national forests unless property is at stake or do they?

dancingqueen
09-08-2014, 06:29 AM
That's a qoute from the article the OP linked to.

My bad, I didn't read the article because I was already aware of Canada's abysmal environmental image.