PDA

View Full Version : The Way it Is!!

Barry Morris
09-08-2014, 07:58 AM
http://brettshoemaker.me/2014/08/25/10-christian-stereotypes-i-hate/

Love number 8!!

"I hate when people assume certain things about me without getting to know who I am. You probably hate that too! Whenever people figure out I am a pastor at a Christian church, they tend to always assume the following:

1. Cussing around me is a no-no. Really? I’m honored that you feel the need to change your attitude/language around me, but you don’t need to try and be on “good behavior” when we are together. Typically, I’m not offended by your language and its not like I have never heard it before. I would rather you just be yourself than trying to be someone else for me.

2. I don’t like homosexuals. I understand why you may have gotten this impression considering some of the ridiculous Christians out there. But, I love them. To be honest, I don’t know why so many of my Christian brothers and sisters elevate this specifically over everything else. When it comes down to it, I love homosexuals just as much as I love you. I wish Christians would fight as passionately against poverty and sex trafficking as they do homosexuality.

3. I don’t drink alcohol. Now you won’t catch me passed out on the floor drunk, but to assume that I don’t drink at all because of my faith is a bit of an overstatement. After all, the first miracle Jesus did was turn water into wine, He knows how to keep the party going.

4. I don’t like to have fun. This probably has a lot to do with rule #3. Because “I don’t drink” then it can be assumed that I don’t like to have fun. Quite the contrary, it just means I have learned to have fun without the need of over intoxicating myself.

5. I’m judging you because you act differently than me. If I have come to realize one thing it is that nobody is perfect. Don’t worry about trying to hide your flaws or your differences because I’m not judging you anyways. Those who judge will be judged and I don’t want any part of that.

6. I am ignorant or uneducated about beliefs other than my own. Actually, it is not “my way or the highway.” Obviously, I, like the rest of Christians, spend most of my time trying to understand my own faith, but to say that I have shut my eyes to everything else in the world is absurd. Don’t assume I have no clue of what exists outside of Christianity.

7. I think I’m better than you. Somehow, because I am Christian, you assume I believe I am better than you. I understand you might get this impression from some of those who wear the Christian name tag, but humility is one of Christianity’s greatest attributes. I don’t think I am better than you regardless of who you are or what you’ve done. We are all on our own journey and everyone’s look a little bit different.
8. I’m Republican. Laugh. Out. Loud. No comment.

9. I ignore science. You might be under the assumption that things like the “Big Bang” and natural selection kill my theory for religion, so I just ignore them altogether. The truth is, I love science and it doesn’t crumble my faith at all. I am just as interested as you are to see how God did it and have yet to come across something that totally shakes my faith to the core on whether or not there was a creator.

10. I’m a hypocrite. Unfortunately, you probably assume this for righteous reasons because you have seen it a lot. But, I want to break the stereotype and say what I mean and do what I say. Of course I fall short just like everyone else, but I am never preaching something that I’m not willing to do in my own life.
Granted, there are probably a lot of Christians out there who meet every single one of these, but don’t assume we are all the same!"

Aristotle
09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I love #8, too!

The Voice
09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I like the comments bellow the linked article very interesting.

This guy says he is not like other Christians.

http://www.faithreboot.com/im-stupid-religious-discrimination/

The Left Sock
09-08-2014, 09:14 PM
I see some 'wiggling' in roughly half of those ten points. Particularly 2, 3, 7, and 9.

I've encountered a lot of slick sound-bytes from those who are able to cloak their true feelings. Maybe this guy is different, but if he is a pastor, I suspect he has groomed his slick style to a fine tune.

Organized religion is takng a beating in North America these days. I fully expect the rhetoric to get more sophisticated.

Barry Morris
09-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Organized religion is taking a beating.

Mostly from the uninformed, educated on it by a biased media, who have the need to justify their own lifestyles by bringing down anyone who strives to be better.

dancingqueen
09-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Mostly from the uninformed, educated on it by a biased media, who have the need to justify their own lifestyles by bringing down anyone who strives to be better.

You tell yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep at night, it is not uncommon that "truth" and "reality" don't really concern people like you.

Barry Morris
09-10-2014, 07:36 PM
You tell yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep at night, it is not uncommon that "truth" and "reality" don't really concern people like you.

Are you sure?? :) :) :)

The Left Sock
09-10-2014, 07:44 PM

Well, there goes number 7 on that list!

The Voice
09-10-2014, 10:26 PM
who have the need to justify their own lifestyles by bringing down anyone who strives to be better.

"strives to be better."

I can only guess by that you mean "Christian" ??

So being better = being christian.

Can't say I am shocked.

Barry Morris
09-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Well, there goes number 7 on that list!

Not judging, are we??? :) :) :)

Barry Morris
09-10-2014, 11:32 PM
"strives to be better."

I can only guess by that you mean "Christian" ??

So being better = being christian.

Can't say I am shocked.

Christians know they are sinners. But they strive to please God. Do they always succeed?? No.

Odd how you interpret that.

The Left Sock
09-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Not judging, are we??? :) :) :)

Not me, but it sounded kind of like you were!

Barry Morris
09-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Not me, but it sounded kind of like you were!

Co-inidentally, I was!! The difference between us is that I know what the good book actually SAYS about judging!!!

The Voice
09-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Co-inidentally, I was!! The difference between us is that I know what the good book actually SAYS about judging!!!

I am curious what does it say??

The Left Sock
09-17-2014, 10:13 PM

He keeps blowing number 7 on the list, but doesn't seem to be aware of it.

If you know what the good book says about judging, and I don't, then your obvious assertion is that you are better than me.

Review number 7 on the list, to see why you keep proving my point, that the list is full of 'wiggle' room.

And just as an aside, you have no idea what my level of reading comprehension is. There's a distinct possibility that I can understand your 'good book' better than you, but you are blinded by it, because you think that being Christian gives you an automatic 'leg up' on me.

Barry Morris
09-18-2014, 06:36 PM
I get it.

Anyone who strives to be better automatically thinks he's better than anyone else.

Sorry, does not compute.

I'm concerned about what God thinks, not man.

The Left Sock
09-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Anyone who thinks in terms of 'be better' has already lost the battle.

If you say, 'I'm just trying to improve myself', you're a-okay in my books. Or. 'I'm doing my best to be a better person', that's fine as well.

But when you say 'be better', then there has to be someone worse. It's in the linguistics.

And saying you're not concerned with what man thinks, is another cop-out. According to you, you were put down here by your God, to live among men. What, do you think you were put here just to ignore everybody? Or do you think maybe you were put down here to learn something from your fellow man? Or are you already transcended, sitting above all of us mere mortals, just waiting to get where you really belong? Kind of pretentious, don't you think?

Barry Morris
09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyone who thinks in terms of 'be better' has already lost the battle.

If you say, 'I'm just trying to improve myself', you're a-okay in my books. Or. 'I'm doing my best to be a better person', that's fine as well.

But when you say 'be better', then there has to be someone worse. It's in the linguistics.

And saying you're not concerned with what man thinks, is another cop-out. According to you, you were put down here by your God, to live among men. What, do you think you were put here just to ignore everybody? Or do you think maybe you were put down here to learn something from your fellow man? Or are you already transcended, sitting above all of us mere mortals, just waiting to get where you really belong? Kind of pretentious, don't you think?

I suggest you return to the OP.

"...because I am Christian, you assume I believe I am better than you..."

Sorry, you've blown it all.

The Left Sock
09-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Your own words demonstrate that you do believe you are better than others. There is no assumption required.

It is abundantly clear.

Barry Morris
09-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I am curious what does it say??

Indeed what DOES it say??

Matt 7:1-6
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Verse 1 is the old familiar verse so often quoted. But what does verse 2 say. Simple. Be careful how you judge, so that you are not being hypocritical. And 3, 4 and 5 go on the explain further.

But what about the next verse??? How does one determine who are the dogs?? Or swine?? Simple. Judge.

Barry Morris
09-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Your own words demonstrate that you do believe you are better than others. There is no assumption required.

It is abundantly clear.

All have sinned is also a bible verse.

Who will God respect?? One who rejects Him, or one who accepts this truth?? That thief knew it.

The Left Sock
09-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Any God I follow will judge me by my actions, and my actions alone.

Respect, rejection, slights, offences.... none of that means anything to me.

Talk is cheap. I don't give a damn about appearances. It's what I do, when it really counts, that really matters. Any deity who doesn't see things that way is free to disregard my existence.

The Left Sock
09-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Picture a God who would condemn a man who lived a good life but disrespected Him, to Hell.

I would submit to you that you haven't joined a religion, rather that you have signed up for the mafia.

The Voice
09-18-2014, 09:55 PM
http://biblehub.com/matthew/7.htm

But what about the next verse??? How does one determine who are the dogs?? Or swine?? Simple. Judge.

Is that what that says?

Barry Morris
09-19-2014, 12:00 AM
http://biblehub.com/matthew/7.htm

Is that what that says?

Isn't it??

Barry Morris
09-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Picture a God who would condemn a man who lived a good life but disrespected Him, to Hell.

I would submit to you that you haven't joined a religion, rather that you have signed up for the mafia.

Here's the picture, then.

Matt 22:37-40
37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

I think that disrespecting One who sent His own Son to pay for his sins would be a pretty heavy mark against.

The Left Sock
09-19-2014, 12:53 AM
I prefer this one:

"By their fruit you will recognize them."

I will be judged by my actions, or not at all.

Barry Morris
09-19-2014, 01:15 AM
I prefer this one:

"By their fruit you will recognize them."

I will be judged by my actions, or not at all.

Taken out of context.

The first commandment>?? "Love the Lord your God...."

The most important commandment, and ultimately, the only one that matters.

The Left Sock
09-19-2014, 01:18 AM
I disagree. Since you're not a biblical expert, and since I have access to the same material you have, we'll have to call it a draw.

Barry Morris
09-19-2014, 10:02 AM
I disagree. Since you're not a biblical expert, and since I have access to the same material you have, we'll have to call it a draw.

Now THAT is funny!!!

The Left Sock
09-19-2014, 10:11 AM
21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"

The Left Sock
09-19-2014, 10:14 AM
The moral of the story is, you can say whatever you want, even act like a true Christian, but it is your actions that will determine your fate.

Trying to assume a superior posture over those with different beliefs from your own, isn't going to get you there.

Bluesky
09-19-2014, 11:48 AM
act like a true Christian, but it is your actions that will determine your fate.

Isn't that kinda like saying the same thing. If I ACT like a Christian my ACTIONS will determine.. etc.

The relationship between belief and action ought to be examined though. I would maintain that our actions grow out of what we truly believe.

If I profess to believe that Jesus Christ is my Sovereign and that I trust him, yet I am a control freak at home and at work, I am obviously being hypocritical. I don't really believe what I have professed with my mouth.

So what comes first, the belief or the actions?

The Left Sock
09-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Well, according to that passage, you can even perform miracles, and obviously be granted the power to do so by God, yet fall short of the mark and be declared an evildoer and denied by Christ.

So, the only way I can rationalize that position, is to suggest that the sum of a person's actions will be held to account, not just the things they have done in the name of God.

In other words, you can be a true believer, be sanctioned to perform miracles, yet be denied by Christ. The only way I can see that happening, is if your other actions are deemed inappropriate, and negate the good things you do.

In summary, it appears to me that we are judged by our actions, and our actions alone, but in their totality, through this context.

Bluesky
09-19-2014, 01:41 PM
A healthy approach to understand what the Bible teaches about Christianity is by not taking a single verse and treating it by itself.

But yes, we are judged by our actions. But when you back up to take a more wide angle view, you must admit that actions are determined by what you believe.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

So the question then becomes, "What is the will of the Father" if the one who does the Father's will is the one who gains entry.

Barry Morris
09-19-2014, 02:57 PM
A healthy approach to understand what the Bible teaches about Christianity is by not taking a single verse and treating it by itself.

But yes, we are judged by our actions. But when you back up to take a more wide angle view, you must admit that actions are determined by what you believe.

So the question then becomes, "What is the will of the Father" if the one who does the Father's will is the one who gains entry.

The will of the Father starts with....

Matt 22:37-40
37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

IMHO
09-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Organized religion...organized as a place to pass the collection plate to benefit the bishop.

Barry Morris
09-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Organized religion...organized as a place to pass the collection plate to benefit the bishop.

We don't have a bishop. And our churches typically our pastors to about 2/3 their educational level.