PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mom...

Barry Morris
10-03-2014, 03:20 PM
"January 19, 2023
Dear Mom,
Can you believe it is 2023 already! I am still writing 2022 on nearly everything. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the first grade, celebrating the turn of the twenty-first century.
I know we have not chatted since Christmas, but I have some difficult news. I really did not want to call, or talk face to face.
Ted has had a promotion, and I should be up for a hefty raise this year if I keep putting in those crazy hours. You know how I work.
Yes, we are still struggling with the bills.
Timmy has been O.K. in the kindergarten, although he still complains about going. But, then, he wasn't happy in the daycare, either. So, what can I do? He's been a real problem. He's a good kid, but, quite honestly, he's an unfair burden on our lives at this time.
Ted and I have talked this through, and have finally made a choice. Plenty of other families have made it and are much better off. Our pastor is supportive and said hard decisions are sometimes necessary. The family is a system and the demands of one member should not be allowed to ruin the whole. He told us to be prayerful, consider all the factors, and do what is right to make the family work. He said that even though he probably would not do it himself, the decision, really, is ours. He was kind enough to refer us to a children's clinic near here, so at least that part is easy.
I am not an uncaring mother, I do feel sorry for the little guy. I think he heard Ted and I talking about it the other night. I turned around and saw him standing there at the bottom of the stairs in his pj's with the little teddy bear you gave him for Christmas, tucked under his chin. And his eyes sort of welling up. Mom, the way he looked at me, nearly broke my heart!
But, honestly, I believe that this is best for Timmy, too. It's not fair to force him to live in a family that cannot give him the care and attention he deserves.
And, please do not give me the kind of grief that grandma gave you over your abortions. It's the same thing, you know.
We told him he's just going in for a vaccination. Anyway, they say the termination procedure is completely painless. I guess it's just as well you haven't seen him that much.
Love to dad.
Jean."

Don't have a source, sorry.

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Do you honestly think that resorting to badly written science fiction is really going to change anyone's mind on the abortion issue?

What, abortion isn't terrible enough now, you have to project it into the future to get an emotional response?

If that's the case, this post is an admission of surrender.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Do you honestly think that resorting to badly written science fiction is really going to change anyone's mind on the abortion issue?

What, abortion isn't terrible enough now, you have to project it into the future to get an emotional response?

If that's the case, this post is an admission of surrender.

Surrender?? Why??

You and I both know darn well abortion won't stop. Man is sinful, and self centred, and will continue to kill whatever inconveniences him.

This is not an attempt to change anyone, it's simply a warning of things to come. In my opinion.

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:39 PM
So, you are literally a 'prophet of doom'?

Interesting.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:41 PM
So, you are literally a 'prophet of doom'?

Interesting.

Am I?? I really don't think Star Trek was right. And I think the bible might be.

Sorry.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:42 PM
By the way, I'd be happy to be wrong!! :) :) :)

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Star Trek predicted amazing things that took 50 years to come to fruition.

Just watch Captain Kirk flip open a communicator, or touch the symbol on his chest to communicate. There is your flip phone, and Bluetooth, looking right at you.

Still waiting for the Bible to make a single prediction as accurate as that.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Still waiting for the Bible to make a single prediction as accurate as that.

{Unbelievably blatant, offensive and hugely condescending comment deleted) Really?

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Well, if you have an example, don't be shy.... just lay it right out there!

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:50 PM
By the way, if you knew your Star trek better, you'd realize that the flip phone, and the button comm have ranges in excess of 40,000 miles, according to the story.

Can you guess what we use all the time that IS from ST?? And that actually works?

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Dude, they were in outer space. Way better signal!

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Well, if you have an example, don't be shy.... just lay it right out there!

Isa 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

I do admit to being curious about your take on this. BTW, the book this is from was among the Dead Sea Scrolls, and clearly predates Christ.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Dude, they were in outer space. Way better signal!

No, the communicators were sometimes used from the ground to talk to the ship, which was out of transport range. transport range was indicated to be 40,000 miles.

Bluetooth has a range of 50 odd feet. Cell phones 20, 25 miles in ideal settings.

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Well, the part about 'the government shall be upon his shoulder' is incorrect. The governments of the time found him to be an irritant, and conspired to string him up for causing problems.

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 01:58 PM
No, the communicators were sometimes used from the ground to talk to the ship, which was out of transport range. transport range was indicated to be 40,000 miles.

Bluetooth has a range of 50 odd feet. Cell phones 20, 25 miles in ideal settings.

All they needed was a dish on the ship, and you have satellite phones instantly. I think the USS Enterprise had a dish on it, if I remember correctly.

Anapeg
10-04-2014, 04:11 PM
The pair of you pick the damnedest things over which to argue. On the up side I now have a perfect use for the term "nitpick". Thank you both.

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Just trying to add some levity with the Star Trek stuff. If I try to talk religion with him, I just get called a dufus.

I Will just have to try and trudge through the crisis of conscience that is causing all the hostility. Friends find a way to put up with friends, even when they freak out.

By the way, the original USS Enterprise did indeed have a huge satellite dish on it, smack in the middle of the ship. So, my earlier contentions still hold water.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Just trying to add some levity with the Star Trek stuff. If I try to talk religion with him, I just get called a dufus.

I Will just have to try and trudge through the crisis of conscience that is causing all the hostility. Friends find a way to put up with friends, even when they freak out.

By the way, the original USS Enterprise did indeed have a huge satellite dish on it, smack in the middle of the ship. So, my earlier contentions still hold water.

Trying to remember calling you names. Hmmm.

Crisis of conscience. Oh.

The dish on the Enterprise is called a deflector dish. It is not primarily, or even secondarily for communications.

Barry Morris
10-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Well, the part about 'the government shall be upon his shoulder' is incorrect. The governments of the time found him to be an irritant, and conspired to string him up for causing problems.

Does or does not the term "shall be" indicate a future time???

The Left Sock
10-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Some of the things predicted by Star Trek:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2009/may/15/star-trek-technology

Now, still waiting for the things the Bible predicted. Don't expect it to be as dazzling as Star Trek, so a couple of examples will do!

BFLPE
10-05-2014, 12:51 AM
...it's simply a warning of things to come. In my opinion.Call 705-945-0261 if you want to talk about it.

Barry Morris
10-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Call 705-945-0261 if you want to talk about it.

Perhaps you would like to explain.

BFLPE
10-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Thought it was self explanatory.

If you really think that 'letter' will become the reality ever, let alone within less than a decade, I think you should contact someone at Algoma Mental Health.

Barry Morris
10-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Thought it was self explanatory.

If you really think that 'letter' will become the reality ever, let alone within less than a decade, I think you should contact someone at Algoma Mental Health.

Really??

Back track fifty years. I'd bet you'd say the same about anyone who predicted 30 million plus abortions after Roe V Wade, right??

Light_Keeper
10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
This is a disgusting immoral thread. Perhaps we need to educate and use adoption for what it dose. Adoption gives children a home where they truly are wanted.

BFLPE
10-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Really??

Back track fifty years. I'd bet you'd say the same about anyone who predicted 30 million plus abortions after Roe V Wade, right??Sorry, I wasn't alive 50 years ago.

The letter makes a couple of good points but anyone who honestly believes that's where we're headed has some serious issues. Though I disagree with abortion I do see a clear difference between the unborn and the school age child. What the letter suggest is not going to happen. Anyone who thinks it is must live a tortured life of paranoia.

The Left Sock
10-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Really??

Back track fifty years. I'd bet you'd say the same about anyone who predicted 30 million plus abortions after Roe V Wade, right??

How many abortions were performed prior to Roe vs. Wade? You will have to go back to ancient times to calculate that number.

The point is, making abortion legal didn't 'cause' abortion at all. Humanity has been performing abortions in many forms, since long before Christ walked the earth.

So, your argument has nothing to do with a Supreme Court Ruling, and if the ruling came down differently, abortions would still be occurring.

Your argument is not against any government or law. Rather, your argument is against humanity itself.

Anapeg
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Sorry, I wasn't alive 50 years ago.

The letter makes a couple of good points but anyone who honestly believes that's where we're headed has some serious issues. Though I disagree with abortion I do see a clear difference between the unborn and the school age child. What the letter suggest is not going to happen. Anyone who thinks it is must live a tortured life of paranoia.

The credence you give to a child is similar to the credence given to a fetus by many. All thought abortion an impossibility many years ago but climates change as do opinions. It is not what will happen but rather what could happen in time. The worth of life diminishes with each ruling. Human kind is capable of atrocities much worse than simply eliminating a kid. I would like to think us incapable but after 65 years on this earth I am fast losing confidence in our kind. Bear in mind my stance on euthanasia being for and I can agree there are times abortion is a good call. Desensitization is a recognized practice with known results.

Barry Morris
10-06-2014, 08:59 PM
All I can think to say is, I hope you guys are right!!

BFLPE
10-06-2014, 09:34 PM
The credence you give to a child is similar to the credence given to a fetus by many.I'm one that gives that credence to a fetus. However, it's not hard to see the difference. I do find it very hard, impossible actually, to see us getting to the point of deciding later on that a child can be disposed of for the reasons in the letter. Come on, you don't have that little faith in humanity do you?

Anapeg
10-06-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm one that gives that credence to a fetus. However, it's not hard to see the difference. I do find it very hard, impossible actually, to see us getting to the point of deciding later on that a child can be disposed of for the reasons in the letter. Come on, you don't have that little faith in humanity do you?

Nary a dram. Today's sheeple do not think for themselves they let others decide what their opinions ought be. If their friends and family think it good, it is good. Sad but true. Both the child as the fetus are viable life forms and we kill one of them up until what, the 7th month now? I would hope I am 100% wrong but I see the human race as irreparably selfish and self centered and only getting worse.

BFLPE
10-06-2014, 11:31 PM
I imagine you're just playing with me but I'll play along.

In this future how long do you think a person will need to live outside the womb before attaining the right to life? Sweet sixteen maybe?

Of course it would be helpful in disciplining I guess. You know, kid gets out of hand you just have to remind them that you could have them put down at any time.

BFLPE
10-06-2014, 11:34 PM
How many abortions were performed prior to Roe vs. Wade? You will have to go back to ancient times to calculate that number.

The point is, making abortion legal didn't 'cause' abortion at all. Humanity has been performing abortions in many forms, since long before Christ walked the earth.

So, your argument has nothing to do with a Supreme Court Ruling, and if the ruling came down differently, abortions would still be occurring.

Your argument is not against any government or law. Rather, your argument is against humanity itself.Though what you say is true don't you think there would be a whole lot less of them happening now if it weren't legal?

Anapeg
10-07-2014, 01:34 AM
I imagine you're just playing with me but I'll play along.

In this future how long do you think a person will need to live outside the womb before attaining the right to life? Sweet sixteen maybe?

Of course it would be helpful in disciplining I guess. You know, kid gets out of hand you just have to remind them that you could have them put down at any time.

Taking the lives of living, healthy children is practiced today in China. Is it such a stretch to have it spread? Perfectly viable lives are struck down daily at the whim of the mother should she chose. Extrapolate that and visualize 30, 40, 50 years hence. I fully support the right to die, I have a DNR on my records yet I have trepidation it should expand and end with 50 something year old kids having euthanized their parents for convenience sake.