PDA

View Full Version : A terrifying Twist to the War on Terror

The Left Sock
10-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I was clicking through the news headlines from around the world. Stories about the Ebola virus, stories about the suicide bombings in Yemen and Iraq, and a terrible chill ran down my spine.

Terrorists are willing to strap a bomb on themselves, and detonate it, even if it means they only take a few people with them. What's to stop a cell of terrorists from injecting themselves with Ebola, then getting on a plane headed for Europe, or America, or Canada for that matter?

It would be easy enough to pull off. The countries in West Africa where Ebola is raging are a wild-west show - there is little chance those governments could detect or stop a terror group from infiltrating them. There are countries in Africa where Muslim radicals have great resources, and lots of volunteers.

So, a group of terrorists travel to Liberia, find an Ebola victim, pay the family a few bucks, take blood from the victim, then inject themselves with it. Ebola's incubation period is up to three weeks, so they have at least a few days before symptoms start to show. They travel back to their home country, then book flights to their target destinations.

Once they get there, they do everything in their power to spread the virus. They know full well they are infected, so they will not seek medical treatment, even once the symptoms start. They could frequent public gathering places, and infect as many as possible, before the symptoms make them too ill to function.

What would a strategy like this do to the world? How many millions could they potentially kill? Are the governments of the world even thinking about this? They can't even seem to intercept high risk people who have been exposed to the virus, and get them quarantined effectively. What would they do about a group of men who would actively avoid detection, and would avoid medical treatment?

It's a horrifying thing to contemplate. Hopefully, it's not a realistic idea. But my mind keeps going back to suicide bombers, and what they are willing to do. How would this be any different?

Barry Morris
10-10-2014, 01:32 PM
It wouldn't be any different at all.

Wanna discuss end times?? :) :) :)

The Left Sock
10-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Not ready to call it the end of the world yet, and not willing to believe that if Muslim terrorists took out a huge chunk of the human race with Ebola, that it would be part of some design cooked up by the alleged old-timer floating around in the clouds.

Pretty sure it's just humans, cooking up new and improved ways to destroy each other.

Barry Morris
10-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Not ready to call it the end of the world yet, and not willing to believe that if Muslim terrorists took out a huge chunk of the human race with Ebola, that it would be part of some design cooked up by the alleged old-timer floating around in the clouds.

Pretty sure it's just humans, cooking up new and improved ways to destroy each other.

Part of some design?? That God would create the conditions to blow away a third of those He loves so much He came Himself to die for them?? Makes no sense.

Predicting something and planning something are two different things!!

The Left Sock
10-10-2014, 01:52 PM
If it happens, then God willed it. Isn't that how it goes, in your corner of the world?

All-knowing, all-seeing, all powerful. The end of the world is already laid out, in very specific detail. Why would an omnipotent entity let mere humans throw a monkey wrench into the equation?

Either your God is in control, or he isn't. Pick a lane, already!

Barry Morris
10-10-2014, 06:05 PM
If it happens, then God willed it. Isn't that how it goes, in your corner of the world?

All-knowing, all-seeing, all powerful. The end of the world is already laid out, in very specific detail. Why would an omnipotent entity let mere humans throw a monkey wrench into the equation?

Either your God is in control, or he isn't. Pick a lane, already!

And here I thought you knew about free will.

Man has it.

Man screws up.

God knows it has happened, is happening and will happen.

How all that works, I don't know. But I trust that God does.

Good enough for me.

Anapeg
10-10-2014, 07:08 PM
And here I thought you knew about free will.

Man has it.

Man screws up.

God knows it has happened, is happening and will happen.

How all that works, I don't know. But I trust that God does.

Good enough for me.

You trust God will take care of you while the terrorist is thinking the exact same thing. Both have blind faith in their God. Some one has to be wrong.

Barry Morris
10-11-2014, 09:02 AM
You trust God will take care of you while the terrorist is thinking the exact same thing. Both have blind faith in their God. Some one has to be wrong.

Blind faith would be wrong.

You choose.

The Left Sock
10-11-2014, 09:21 AM
If man has free will, then your God is not running the show.

And man's fate is not predestined.

And your God is not omnipotent.

At best, he is a psychic.

Bill Nash
10-11-2014, 12:19 PM
The flaw in that scenario might be that they risk bringing back the virus to their own people as well, thus wiping them out. I don't know if their ideology would want or promote that. I also think that deep down, part of the act is to instill fear int the victims knowing it was done by "terrorists". I don't think the victims would make the connection as easily. The Ebola virus (as are many others) aren't that new. If they had wanted, they would have done this years ago.

Knowing the opportunity exists is scary though, .... just keep god out of it. People aren't going to run to a church to be saved at the last minute. The people that are sucked into christianity are already counted, I would be more worried about stopping the war as opposed to sitting back and waiting for heaven. Comes down to two scenarios, ... stop the war, we live on, ..... sit back and let god's will happen, we are worm food, .... I prefer to stop the war.

Barry Morris
10-11-2014, 01:52 PM
If man has free will, then your God is not running the show.

And man's fate is not predestined.

And your God is not omnipotent.

At best, he is a psychic.

Well, ya blew it again.

Barry Morris
10-11-2014, 01:53 PM
The flaw in that scenario might be that they risk bringing back the virus to their own people as well, thus wiping them out. I don't know if their ideology would want or promote that. I also think that deep down, part of the act is to instill fear int the victims knowing it was done by "terrorists". I don't think the victims would make the connection as easily. The Ebola virus (as are many others) aren't that new. If they had wanted, they would have done this years ago.

Knowing the opportunity exists is scary though, .... just keep god out of it. People aren't going to run to a church to be saved at the last minute. The people that are sucked into christianity are already counted, I would be more worried about stopping the war as opposed to sitting back and waiting for heaven. Comes down to two scenarios, ... stop the war, we live on, ..... sit back and let god's will happen, we are worm food, .... I prefer to stop the war.

God's will??? You ain't reading right either.

The Left Sock
10-11-2014, 03:59 PM

My thoughts revolved around a parallel to suicide bombings.... the terrorists would infect themselves, and infiltrate an 'enemy' state, with no intention of ever returning. Of course, the virus could spread back to their home country, but when you think about groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda, they already operate in remote locations, and keep themselves isolated, so they would probably survive and outbreak just fine.

If they pulled off a stunt like this, it would be the worst terror attack in world history, making 9/11 look tiny by comparison. Hopefully, an antidote will come out soon for Ebola, and we won't have to face such a possibility.

The Left Sock
10-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Well, ya blew it again.

If the end of the world is known and predestined, man has no free will.

If man has free will, the end of the world is not scripted.

These two things cannot co-exist together - it is an either/or proposition, logical opposites.

And don't give me that crap about God 'existing outside time', and 'God's rules are different than our rules'. Nobody wants to hear that crap. If God doesn't make sense to mankind, then he is not our God.

Barry Morris
10-11-2014, 08:27 PM
If the end of the world is known and predestined, man has no free will.

If man has free will, the end of the world is not scripted.

These two things cannot co-exist together - it is an either/or proposition, logical opposites.

And don't give me that crap about God 'existing outside time', and 'God's rules are different than our rules'. Nobody wants to hear that crap. If God doesn't make sense to mankind, then he is not our God.

Ah, yes, I know. You want a controllable, finite god. Completely within your understanding. Most men do.

Sorry.

The Left Sock
10-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Well, one that humans can make heads or tails out of would be nice.

This is, after all, the main goal - isn't it?

How can someone 'love God', if they haven't got a clue what he is up to? Kind of turns us into golden retrievers, don't you think?

Barry Morris
10-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Well, one that humans can make heads or tails out of would be nice.

This is, after all, the main goal - isn't it?

How can someone 'love God', if they haven't got a clue what he is up to? Kind of turns us into golden retrievers, don't you think?

Gee, a lot of us seem to have little trouble figuring out what a finite man can understand about an infinite God. We don't always get it right, but He understands, and knows our hearts.

IMO, it's only rebellion that is the problem. And that has been man's problem since Adam.

Trust Him or don't. The foundation of free will.

BFLPE
10-12-2014, 09:19 AM
It would be easy enough to pull off. The countries in West Africa where Ebola is raging are a wild-west show - there is little chance those governments could detect or stop a terror group from infiltrating them. There are countries in Africa where Muslim radicals have great resources, and lots of volunteers.

So, a group of terrorists travel to Liberia, find an Ebola victim, pay the family a few bucks, take blood from the victim, then inject themselves with it. Ebola's incubation period is up to three weeks, so they have at least a few days before symptoms start to show. They travel back to their home country, then book flights to their target destinations.

Once they get there, they do everything in their power to spread the virus. They know full well they are infected, so they will not seek medical treatment, even once the symptoms start. They could frequent public gathering places, and infect as many as possible, before the symptoms make them too ill to function.

What would a strategy like this do to the world? How many millions could they potentially kill? Are the governments of the world even thinking about this? They can't even seem to intercept high risk people who have been exposed to the virus, and get them quarantined effectively. What would they do about a group of men who would actively avoid detection, and would avoid medical treatment?

It's a horrifying thing to contemplate. Hopefully, it's not a realistic idea. But my mind keeps going back to suicide bombers, and what they are willing to do. How would this be any different?It's realistic alright. I disagree with how catastrophic it could be though.

We know the virus isn't spread easily and that until the person has symptoms they can't spread it.

The amount of people they would be able to get into our countries would be fairly small.

We can be sure it wouldn't take too long to figure out something really bad was happening and start doing everything we could to avoid getting it. You know, the simple things things like washing hands.

Could it happen, absolutely. Would it wipe out millions, not a chance.

Though catastrophic for the ones directly affected it would be a very minor thinning of the population. Hundreds at most I would venture.

The psychological impact, who knows.

Anapeg
10-12-2014, 12:10 PM
As with Bill I can't see the reasoning behind spreading a disease. One can target a bomb for specifics, a disease, never. The objective is to do away with infidels not their own people.

Bluesky
10-12-2014, 03:14 PM
If God doesn't make sense to mankind, then he is not our God.

This doesn't follow. BUt because this is not the religious forum, I will not explain my reasons.

Barry Morris
10-12-2014, 03:21 PM
It's realistic alright. I disagree with how catastrophic it could be though.

We know the virus isn't spread easily and that until the person has symptoms they can't spread it.

The amount of people they would be able to get into our countries would be fairly small.

We can be sure it wouldn't take too long to figure out something really bad was happening and start doing everything we could to avoid getting it. You know, the simple things things like washing hands.

Could it happen, absolutely. Would it wipe out millions, not a chance.

Though catastrophic for the ones directly affected it would be a very minor thinning of the population. Hundreds at most I would venture.

The psychological impact, who knows.

Eventually there will appear a disease that DOES spread easily.

We won't be prepared.

The Left Sock
10-12-2014, 04:37 PM
This doesn't follow. BUt because this is not the religious forum, I will not explain my reasons.

Sure it follows. Briefly, is we're mad in God's image, supposed to follow his rules, supposed to try to discern his will, supposed to join him in heaven, yet we cannot ever understand him, then the whole belief system collapses in on itself. Everything we do is pointless. We're dogs, following the beck and call of a master, without ever understanding why.

The Left Sock
10-12-2014, 04:41 PM
One of the nurses who cared for the man with Ebola in Dallas has come down with Ebola.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

She was highly trained, and wore protective gear. So, how hard is it to catch Ebola? How much would it spread, if let loose in the general population? How many would perish, if men deliberately spread it? It's a far greater risk than many would like to admit.

They say that a million people could perish in Africa, before this outbreak is finally over. Are we really so arrogant, that we think that kind of fate is not possible here? Based on what, exactly?

BFLPE
10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Just because a nurse who had extensive contact with the dude caught it is no reason to think it spreads easily. I guess all those who are in the know could be misleading us but I have no reason to think that's the case.

The idea of this wiping out millions is ludicrous IMO.

That doesn't mean terrorists wouldn't think it a good idea. Al qaeda, or whatever they call themselves now, would gladly do it to instill terror. Imagine the hit to the economy if the western world basically shutdown for a while to deal with it. With the way it spreads, or doesn't spread, I don't think they'd be too worried about the possibility it may make it's way back and martyr a few of them.

riggs
10-13-2014, 05:55 PM

In that scenario, why would you believe they have intent on returning to their home land? If this ever came to be, I believe they would have already made the choice to die in the country they delivered the virus.

Bluesky
10-15-2014, 02:34 PM
just keep god out of it. People aren't going to run to a church to be saved at the last minute

History says otherwise. During the Trade Tower disaster, churches were filled. We saw strangers coming to church that had never been there before. This always happens in major crises.

The Left Sock
10-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Hardware stores were flooded with people buying duct tape and plastic sheeting as well. Fear drives people to do all kinds of unusual things, but it usually blows over, once the threat is gone.

I imagine the attendance at churches waned after the threat faded, as well.

Barry Morris
10-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Hardware stores were flooded with people buying duct tape and plastic sheeting as well. Fear drives people to do all kinds of unusual things, but it usually blows over, once the threat is gone.

I imagine the attendance at churches waned after the threat faded, as well.

"Once the threat is gone"??? We're considering a time when the threat will NOT be gone, and your typical, light weight replay doesn't really consider that.

The Left Sock
10-16-2014, 09:26 AM
The Twin Tower disaster is over.

In your rush to provide a zinger, you failed to take into account, that my response was to that specific point.

And the fact that churches are no longer full, kind of verifies the point I made. There's no longer a run on duct tape, either.

Barry Morris
10-16-2014, 09:35 AM

In your rush to provide a zinger, you failed to take into account, that my response was to that specific point.

And the fact that churches are no longer full, kind of verifies the point I made. There's no longer a run on duct tape, either.

Ah well, who cares if another hardware store closes!!!

Barry Morris
10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Ah, yes, here it comes:

SOUTHCOM Commander: Ebola Outbreak in Central America Could Cause Mass Migration to U.S.
By: Sam LaGrone
Published: October 7, 2014 5:14 PM
Updated: October 7, 2014 10:26 PM
Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, center, commander of U.S. Southern Command, speaks with Adm. Sigifrido Pared Perez, Dominican Republic minister of defense, in Barahona, Dominican Republic on June 9, 2014. SOUTHCOM Photo

Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, center, commander of U.S. Southern Command, speaks with Adm. Sigifrido Pared Perez, Dominican Republic minister of defense, in Barahona, Dominican Republic on June 9, 2014. SOUTHCOM Photo

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The head of U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) warned an Ebola outbreak in Central America or the Caribbean could trigger a mass migration to the U.S. of people fleeing the disease and implied established Central American illegal trafficking networks could introduce the infected into the U.S., during remarks at a Tuesday panel on security issues in the Western Hemisphere at the National Defense University.
“If it comes to the Western Hemisphere, the countries that we’re talking about have almost no ability to deal with it — particularly in Haiti and Central America,” SOUTHCOM Commander, Marine Gen. John F. Kelly, said in response to a question of his near term concerns in the region.
“It will make the 68,000 unaccompanied minors look like a small problem.”
An Ebola outbreak could encourage the poor and increasingly desperate populations in Central American countries — like Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador — to leave in droves.
“I think you’ve seen this so many times in the past, when in doubt, take off,” he said.
Though an ocean away from Ebola hotspots in Africa, a growing numbers of West Africans are using the illicit trafficking routes through Central America to enter the U.S. illegally and could introduce the disease in the U.S.
Kelly stressed through out the panel session at NDU how effective the criminal transportation networks were at moving people and material into the U.S.
“We see a lot of West Africans moving in that network,” he said.

Kelly passed on a story from a border checkpoint in Costa Rica — told to him by an American embassy official — in which five or six men from Liberia were waiting to cross into Nicaragua.
The group had flown into Trinidad and then traveled to Costa Rica hoping to travel up the Central American isthmus and into the U.S.
Given the length of the journey, “they could have been in New York City well within the incubation period for Ebola,” Kelly said.
The realities of a potential outbreak caused Kelly to ask his staff to start thinking about the affects to the SOUTHCOM area of operations (AO) and pay attention to the response of U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM).
The U.S. has sent 4,000 troops to West Africa to assist countries in dealing with the Ebola outbreaks in the region.
“The five services of the U.S. military will get it done and be a large solution to this problem,” Kelly said.
In the meantime, SOUTHCOM is regular contact with AFRICOM in the event of the worst-case outcome.
“We’re watching what AFRICOM is doing and their plan will be our plan,” Kelly said.
“The nightmare scenario, I think, is right around the corner.”

Official Cat of Soonet
10-18-2014, 12:24 AM
This whole ebola scare fills in for slow news day. Nothing more. We are prepared for it despite what anybody will say.

Barry Morris
10-18-2014, 12:43 AM
This whole ebola scare fills in for slow news day. Nothing more. We are prepared for it despite what anybody will say.

Remember SARS???

Official Cat of Soonet
10-18-2014, 12:46 AM
Remember SARS???

Barely. SARS was scarier at the time.

Bluesky
10-18-2014, 04:10 PM
SARS was an airborn transmitted disease. But it was not nearly as fatal as Ebola.
Yet Ebola is transmitted through contact with bodily fluid, so less contagious, but clearly more deadly.

Barry Morris
10-18-2014, 05:41 PM
SARS was an airborn transmitted disease. But it was not nearly as fatal as Ebola.
Yet Ebola is transmitted through contact with bodily fluid, so less contagious, but clearly more deadly.

And there we have it.

Combine those symptoms, and start counting bodies!!!

BFLPE
10-18-2014, 09:03 PM
And there we have it.

Combine those symptoms, and start counting bodies!!!It almost reads like you would like that to happen.

Barry Morris
10-18-2014, 11:25 PM
It almost reads like you would like that to happen.

What I believe WILL happen isn't necessarily what I would like to see happen.

You think it's impossible??

BFLPE
10-18-2014, 11:33 PM
No, I don't think it's impossible. I don't think it's likely either.

Do you really believe that's what is going to happen and if so what do you base that belief on?

Lance1
10-19-2014, 02:16 PM

I agree, it,s like when they talked about Bird flue and west nile.
One person in the States with a population dies of 370 million and they are running scared.
Yet the common flue kills 20,000 a year yet never makes the news.
Heart disease kills 650,000 a year and no one panics.

Even in Africa with a population 1.1Billion it only killed 5000 people so far. More people in Africa die of a trip and fall in that time.

And Issis is coming to take us over is another news filler.
Bunch of guys with a machine gun in the back of a pickup truck box and no air force or even a boat to do a beach landing over here.
Scary.

Issis must be watching the news and just laughing at us. I would if I was them.

The Left Sock
10-19-2014, 04:59 PM
ISIS has been fighting ground wars on multiple fronts, fighting several different enemies at one time, and have had incredible success, from a military standpoint. They have seized heavy armor, missiles, tanks, and high tech weaponry. Some reports indicate they now have three functional aircraft at their disposal.

They will keep expanding, until something stops them. They will attack the West, if they get strong enough to do so. They have openly stated as much. Canada is sending troops over there, to join the battle against ISIS:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/isis-mission-canadian-advance-team-leaves-for-kuwait-next-week-1.2796144

These people are not a joke. They don't have a central government, and aren't contained to any one country. They are slaughtering people, everywhere they go.

Anyone who sits back and thinks this is a joke, and that ISIS will never pose a real threat to us here in Canada, better get a reality check. They are already urging their followers in countries like ours, to launch attacks. These guys have to be wiped out, plain and simple.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 08:08 AM
In that scenario, why would you believe they have intent on returning to their home land? If this ever came to be, I believe they would have already made the choice to die in the country they delivered the virus.
I was only commenting on the scenario presented by the OP. Left Sock said,

"So, a group of terrorists travel to Liberia, find an Ebola victim, pay the family a few bucks, take blood from the victim, then inject themselves with it. Ebola's incubation period is up to three weeks, so they have at least a few days before symptoms start to show. They travel back to their home country, then book flights to their target destinations."

There are certainly suspicions drawn if an Iraqi should try to fly out of Liberia.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 08:11 AM
History says otherwise. During the Trade Tower disaster, churches were filled. We saw strangers coming to church that had never been there before. This always happens in major crises.
So I can be a god-hating heathen right up until the last minute, but a few carefully chosen words in a special building will get me to heaven, .... cool. I can have my cake and eat it too.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 08:13 AM
"Once the threat is gone"??? We're considering a time when the threat will NOT be gone, and your typical, light weight replay doesn't really consider that.
Good point.

Better point.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 08:22 AM

And there we have it.

Combine those symptoms, and start counting bodies!!!
Those aren't "symptoms", they are means of transmitting. How do you "combine" the two, .... take a palm-full of vomit, blood, or semen and snort it? I don't see that happening too often.

Barry Morris
10-21-2014, 08:53 AM
So I can be a god-hating heathen right up until the last minute, but a few carefully chosen words in a special building will get me to heaven, .... cool. I can have my cake and eat it too.

You think God would be so easily fooled?? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Barry Morris
10-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Those aren't "symptoms", they are means of transmitting. How do you "combine" the two, .... take a palm-full of vomit, blood, or semen and snort it? I don't see that happening too often.

And you yourself have absolutely no idea how these diseases came to exist in the first place. To think that a disease like Ebola could never propagate like SARS is wishful thinking.

Happen too often?? No.

Lets see, incubation of say, 6 weeks, airborne transmission, deadly as Ebola, can someone GUARANTEE this could never happen???

Interesting times, indeed.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 01:34 PM
And you yourself have absolutely no idea how these diseases came to exist in the first place. To think that a disease like Ebola could never propagate like SARS is wishful thinking.

Happen too often?? No.

Lets see, incubation of say, 6 weeks, airborne transmission, deadly as Ebola, can someone GUARANTEE this could never happen???

Why is it that my statement is absurd, but you can invent a fictitious disease that that has superhuman strength and we are supposed to accept it without comment. I live in the real world, yours seems a little fantasy like.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Happen too often?? No.

I agree with a previous poster, .... it is as if you want this to happen.

BFLPE
10-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Happen too often?? No.

Interesting times, indeed.Of course we aren't guaranteed if will never happen. We aren't guaranteed the earth won't be destroyed by a meteor either.

You still haven't answered my question though. You stated that you believe it will happen. Please fill us in on what you know that makes you believe it to be a certainty.

The Left Sock
10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
To me, the greater risk comes from some rogue country with enough money to hire enough experts to try and genetically modify Ebola to become airborne. The major powers around the world all carry stockpiles of the nastiest bugs on earth, just in case of a rainy day.

If you thought having a nuclear arsenal was a good deterrent, just imagine the leverage a country with vials of airborne Ebola would have on the world stage.

I think that's exactly why Western governments are scrambling to develop a vaccine, before some nut-job dictator gets any wild ideas.

Barry Morris
10-21-2014, 05:28 PM
To me, the greater risk comes from some rogue country with enough money to hire enough experts to try and genetically modify Ebola to become airborne. The major powers around the world all carry stockpiles of the nastiest bugs on earth, just in case of a rainy day.

If you thought having a nuclear arsenal was a good deterrent, just imagine the leverage a country with vials of airborne Ebola would have on the world stage.

I think that's exactly why Western governments are scrambling to develop a vaccine, before some nut-job dictator gets any wild ideas.

Talk to Bill Nash and Stupefied.

"It can't happen here!!"

Say, maybe r they think you want it to happen too!!!

Barry Morris
10-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Of course we aren't guaranteed if will never happen. We aren't guaranteed the earth won't be destroyed by a meteor either.

You still haven't answered my question though. You stated that you believe it will happen. Please fill us in on what you know that makes you believe it to be a certainty.

I said certainty?? Hmm, can't seem to find that.

I said:
What I believe WILL happen isn't necessarily what I would like to see happen.

You think it's impossible??

You said:
No, I don't think it's impossible. I don't think it's likely either.

Do you really believe that's what is going to happen and if so what do you base that belief on?

Ya know, this conversation might have taken place somewhere, pre-SARS, even pre AIDS!!!

The Left Sock
10-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Every time somebody new catches Ebola, there is a tiny chance of mutation. As of right now, the risk of Ebola mutating into an airborne pathogen are considered remote, based on how many cases have occurred so far.

However, if the outbreak is not contained, and a large number of people are afflicted with Ebola, the odds keep moving toward mutation. That's why it's absolutely critical that all the governments of the world take this disease very seriously, and stop screwing around with polite solutions. Anyone who travels to an Ebola infected country should be automatically quarantined for 21 days upon their return. People who want to volunteer abroad to help fight Ebola should be isolated in place for 21 days, before ever getting on a plane.

It's amazing to me that they haven't already implemented these kinds of protocols. It's far less expensive than trying to track down and monitor hundreds of potential contacts, when one of these people travel.

Bill Nash
10-21-2014, 10:20 PM
It has already been contained in Nigeria.

Barry Morris
10-22-2014, 07:46 AM
It has already been contained in Nigeria.

And elsewhere??

Bill Nash
10-22-2014, 08:18 AM
And elsewhere??
Are you asking me or telling me?, .... asking is usually what "?" mean.

BFLPE
10-22-2014, 02:45 PM
I said certainty?? Hmm, can't seem to find that.

I said:
What I believe WILL happenhmm, somehow I figured you were more certain in your beliefs. Nonetheless, certainly you are evading the question. Again, what makes you believe it will happen?

Barry Morris
10-22-2014, 05:57 PM
hmm, somehow I figured you were more certain in your beliefs. Nonetheless, certainly you are evading the question. Again, what makes you believe it will happen?

Well, first of all, I believe I need to give some consideration to what the bible says. Its reference to the "last days" seem to have some relevance today.

Now, I'm sure someone will say, "But it's happened before, and it wasn't the last days!!" Which is quite true, and this may indeed be another series of bad times, where everything settles down again.

But there are a few things that at least make me wonder.

Terrorism. This is something VERY different from anything the studies I have had in scripture ever went into. The evil of man seems to be getting worse.

Israel. It exists again. A sign of the last days?? Maybe.

Finally, The Bomb. For the first time in history, man has the power to wipe himself off the planet.

Interesting times, indeed. Do I believe these are the last days?? Not 100 percent. But I sure think its possible.

The Left Sock
10-22-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't think the circumstance of today can hold a candle to the 'Dark Ages'.

Mankind likes to forget his own history, and distance himself from it, and tries to pretend that we are not like that anymore, but it's all an illusion.

Given the right circumstances, the murdering barbarians we have always been, will resurface. It's nothing new.