PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, Wanna' Fight!

Aristotle
12-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Canada is looking "increasingly isolated" as former climate policy laggards such as the U.S. and China take action to tackle climate change, policy experts say.

Canada will also have to play catch-up to the U.S. in finding ways to reduce its emissions to a comparable degree, as required to keep the two economies aligned and compatible, Dalby added.

Greenhouse gas emissions, which are linked to global warming, are projected to keep rising in Canada, even as U.S. and Europe set targets and projections for declines.

"We're an outlier," Rivers said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/canada-s-climate-inaction-leaves-it-increasingly-isolated-ahead-of-cop-20-1.2853774

But at least you're tolerant and compassionate outliers :) :) :)

Anapeg
12-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Canada is looking "increasingly isolated" as former climate policy laggards such as the U.S. and China take action to tackle climate change, policy experts say.

Canada will also have to play catch-up to the U.S. in finding ways to reduce its emissions to a comparable degree, as required to keep the two economies aligned and compatible, Dalby added.

Greenhouse gas emissions, which are linked to global warming, are projected to keep rising in Canada, even as U.S. and Europe set targets and projections for declines.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/canada-s-climate-inaction-leaves-it-increasingly-isolated-ahead-of-cop-20-1.2853774

I cannot post sites as my memory sucks, I have read, Canadians on a per capita basis, on a whole, any way you choose to look at it , we are the most abysmal society for using fossil fuel, creating pollutants, bar none. We are caviler toward heating our homes and refuse to insulate properly. We drive ridiculous distances for items that can be procured locally, I assume for show off purposes. We are not good people. Our businesses operate with relative impunity polluting water, air and land at will. The government is aware of and allows "night dumping" into the air and or water ways. Then Numb nuts stands up and criticizes China and the U.S.?

Anapeg
12-03-2014, 09:40 PM

By the by, my apologies for siding with you. I am sure before it is done.............................

The Left Sock
12-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm getting a strange sense of deja-vu here.

Wasn't this exact thread, or something really close to it, started just a while ago?

Anapeg
12-03-2014, 10:09 PM

Wasn't this exact thread, or something really close to it, started just a while ago?

I seen to remember something because my answer came to me immediately.

The Voice
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I cannot post sites as my memory sucks, I have read, Canadians on a per capita basis, on a whole, any way you choose to look at it , we are the most abysmal society for using fossil fuel, creating pollutants, bar none. We are caviler toward heating our homes and refuse to insulate properly. We drive ridiculous distances for items that can be procured locally, I assume for show off purposes. We are not good people. Our businesses operate with relative impunity polluting water, air and land at will. The government is aware of and allows "night dumping" into the air and or water ways. Then Numb nuts stands up and criticizes China and the U.S.?

We do and it is a distance per capita issue. Do you know how many people live between here and Thunder Bay?

Anapeg
12-04-2014, 01:21 AM
We do and it is a distance per capita issue. Do you know how many people live between here and Thunder Bay?

None? They just exist? Sorry, I saw the opportunity and jumped at it. In reality, I have no clue, mind I ran the route enough over the years I ought to. It gets sparse. 7 hours to Thunder Bay, 5 hours to Timmins, 2.5 hours to Wawa, 3 hours to Sudbury, it can be trying.

Barry Morris
12-04-2014, 10:32 AM
A thought.

40 years ago, you knew you were in Toronto just by breathing.

Not anymore.

Aristotle
12-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Yet, strangely, you can't find any proof of such.

Nice try, Champ! :) :) :)

Aristotle
12-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I seen to remember something because my answer came to me immediately.

Hmmm...you are now spewing words in robotic fashion concerning Canada's poor environmental record.

'Tis not good.

Anapeg
12-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Hmmm...you are now spewing words in robotic fashion concerning Canada's poor environmental record.

'Tis not good.

No, no it is not. I also recall a printed story with a bit recognizing a spot west of the underpass as the most polluted air spot in Canada, possibly North America, memory being what it is. The dead end of Sherbourn (sp) Street as I recall. There are air test stations about town, innocuous looking things looking non important attached to telephone poles, utility poles and the like. I would put it down to prevailing winds, proximity, and such. None the less, there it is. Another point on which to brag for Canada's number one status.

Aristotle
12-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Ban Ki-moon, in an exclusive interview with CBC News, says Canada needs to stop stalling on setting climate change goals, and instead become "ambitious and visionary."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ban-ki-moon-says-canada-must-do-more-on-climate-change-1.2861362

Guess Who?
12-07-2014, 11:18 AM
None? They just exist? Sorry, I saw the opportunity and jumped at it. In reality, I have no clue, mind I ran the route enough over the years I ought to. It gets sparse. 7 hours to Thunder Bay, 5 hours to Timmins, 2.5 hours to Wawa, 3 hours to Sudbury, it can be trying.

You have a very heavy foot. :)

Anapeg
12-07-2014, 01:07 PM
You have a very heavy foot. :)

Non stop, tractor trailer, pitter patter lets get at 'er.

The Voice
12-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Non stop, tractor trailer, pitter patter lets get at 'er.

That is exactly my Point. Everything has to be carried over great distances for certain communities and it skews the averages.

We live further north than most of the Americans as well, so it makes sense that we would use more fuel to heat our homes.

Anapeg
12-09-2014, 12:20 AM
That is exactly my Point. Everything has to be carried over great distances for certain communities and it skews the averages.

We live further north than most of the Americans as well, so it makes sense that we would use more fuel to heat our homes.

With this in mind, how do we account for Europeans who live as far north as we and much further?

Barry Morris
12-09-2014, 04:49 AM
With this in mind, how do we account for Europeans who live as far north as we and much further?

Gulf Stream??

The Voice
12-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Hmmm, Demographics Perhaps? Density of population Maybe?

Ever heard of Economy of Scale?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density#mediaviewer/File:World_population_density_1994.png

The Voice
12-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Gulf Stream??

What about Gulf Stream? How does that relate?

The Voice
12-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Plus we were compared to the US not Europe.

BFLPE
12-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Greenhouse gas emissions, which are linked to global warming...So you're calling us out on contributing to global warming, that's interesting.

The Voice
12-09-2014, 08:27 PM
I think he was being facetious.

Aristotle
12-10-2014, 09:11 AM
So you're calling us out on contributing to global warming, that's interesting.

You are the ones that worship at the altar of the UN, not us. Read into it what you will.

Barry Morris
12-10-2014, 11:00 AM
What about Gulf Stream? How does that relate?

You kidding me???

The Voice
12-11-2014, 07:09 AM
You kidding me???

No I'm not how does it relate???

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 08:51 AM
"We live further north than most of the Americans as well, so it makes sense that we would use more fuel to heat our homes."

"With this in mind, how do we account for Europeans who live as far north as we and much further?"

"Although there has been recent debate, there is consensus that the climate of Western Europe and Northern Europe is warmer than it would otherwise be due to the North Atlantic drift, one of the branches from the tail of the Gulf Stream."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Lance1
12-11-2014, 11:37 AM
as former climate policy laggards such as the U.S. and China take action to tackle climate change, policy experts say.

A agreement and action are two different things. China is getting to the point where they will be forced to do something, thats not thick fog you see on their so called sunny days and its only going to get worst with there population.

A country with 1.3 billion people better expect problems . A 50 seat bus can carry 200 people but it does not make it a good idea.

Canada could not put out the pollution the States and China can in a year that they can in a week.

In a sealed room the person with the frame throwing should put it out before the person with a cigarette.

The Voice
12-11-2014, 06:24 PM
"We live further north than most of the Americans as well, so it makes sense that we would use more fuel to heat our homes."

"With this in mind, how do we account for Europeans who live as far north as we and much further?"

"Although there has been recent debate, there is consensus that the climate of Western Europe and Northern Europe is warmer than it would otherwise be due to the North Atlantic drift, one of the branches from the tail of the Gulf Stream."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Take a look at the map that is linked in my earlier post.

I would be willing to bet Europe has about 20 times at least more population living north of the 49th parallel than Canada.

The Author of the study is purposely using skewed statistics to further his argument.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Canada could not put out the pollution the States and China can in a year that they can in a week.

Well you're surely giving it one hell of a shot!! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Well you're surely giving it one hell of a shot!! :) :) :)

Stop shovelling while we can still breathe.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Stop shovelling while we can still breathe.

Stop polluting so we can still breathe! :) :) :)

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 06:29 PM

I would be willing to bet Europe has about 20 times at least more population living north of the 49th parallel than Canada.

The Author of the study is purposely using skewed statistics to further his argument.

Yeah, so?? England is as far north as James Bay. Yet it rarely snows.

The Voice
12-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Rarely snows in Vancouver too did you know about that???

The Voice
12-11-2014, 06:39 PM
I wonder if it ever snows in Sweden or Norway or Finland or Ukraine or Germany or ETC ETC ETC???

The Voice
12-11-2014, 06:44 PM

How many people live in England??? How many people live in James Bay???

It kind of makes my point don't you think???

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm enjoying Barry's embarrassment on this thread.

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm enjoying Barry's embarrassment on this thread.

:) :) :) Your typical comprehension level!!!

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 07:00 PM
How many people live in England??? How many people live in James Bay???

It kind of makes my point don't you think???

By now, only God know what your point was.

Europe can't be compared to Canada because it is warmer there because of the Gulf Stream. That's my only point.

The Voice
12-11-2014, 07:04 PM
It also can't be compared because of Logistics that was my point.

Anapeg
12-11-2014, 07:06 PM

Oddly, Europeans tend to burn a lot of firewood, not fossil fuels.Their stoves are built under more stringent standards than our own home grown wood stoves I believe. Also their vehicles are damn near 100% aluminium, frame, drive trains, engine block and heads as well as internal parts. They also use a lot of fibre glass for hoods and trunk lids. Add to this their vehicles tend to be smaller and this gives them gas mileage we could only dream of. Problem? The vehicles can come not even close to meeting our safety standards so we stick with steel. Ford is begging to make an aluminium half ton but unless they can meet North American standards it will not likely get past the prototype stage. Then there are the distances traveled in Canada, our laws regarding insulation are just being updated and many structures still exist with R-7 in the walls and R-10 in the ceilings. In Europe one can drive border to border in a matter of hours, here, days.

The Voice
12-11-2014, 07:08 PM

I read the link the guy is using Per Capita to carry his argument.

Big Deal No-One lives Here.

Lets talk about Gross figures and see were that leaves us?

While we are at it lets factor in Logistics and see what that does to his "Study"???

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 07:12 PM
A larger population in a smaller space makes rail travel economically feasible, resulting in less pollution.

The Voice
12-11-2014, 09:44 PM
A larger population in a smaller space makes rail travel economically feasible, resulting in less pollution.

"Economy of Scale".

Lets look at the bigger picture, lets look at Gross Figures?

Lets see who is the bigger polluter then???

The Voice
12-11-2014, 09:46 PM
we should look at per square mile pollution and see who is a bigger polluter???

Lance1
12-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Canada is the second largest country in the world after Russia with a population of only 35 million.
Just the state of California has more people by itself with 38 million and that's not counting the illegals.

The States have 320 Million people and China 1.3 Billion , of course Canada does not pollute nearly as much its just a no brainer.

Its like blaming Iceland for global warming. To clean up the earth is really up to the big boys to change like Europe, USA, China, Russia and India.

Canada, Norway , Finland, Holand and Greenland chipping in will not make much difference.

Anapeg
12-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I have to think per capita is a much more honest comparison. Fudging numbers just to look good or to salve your conscience is to play ostrich. Look at the numbers, admit our poor performance and push for better. I would prefer to look an honest less than perfect than a Lie to ourselves. Those decrying climate change should be all over this like a fat kid on a candy bar and upset as Hell. This is where we could/can make a difference instead we change the goal posts, yet again? If we, as individuals make no changes, who will? Do we, as adults need be led by hand and shown or can we instead show the way?

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Canada is the second largest country in the world after Russia with a population of only 35 million.
Just the state of California has more people by itself with 38 million and that's not counting the illegals.

The States have 320 Million people and China 1.3 Billion , of course Canada does not pollute nearly as much its just a no brainer.

Its like blaming Iceland for global warming. To clean up the earth is really up to the big boys to change like Europe, USA, China, Russia and India.

Canada, Norway , Finland, Holand and Greenland chipping in will not make much difference.

So Canada gets a free pass on pollution.

How convenient.