PDA

View Full Version : Police State?

Aristotle
12-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Canadian security forces have charged a 15-year-old youth with terrorism-related activities after he carried out a robbery.

The youth appeared in court on Wednesday, but his identity, the grounds for the charge and the terrorist group he has been linked with haven’t been released

http://rt.com/news/211403-canada-yuoth-terrorism-police/

Hmmmm...not sure what the terrorist-in-waiting took. Perhaps a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, in which to nourish the terrorists abroad?

We shall have to wait to see.

Sure hope this isn't the beginnings of the Canadian police running roughshod over the people.

Barry Morris
12-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Certainly hope not. SO hard to find Canadian examples on Youtube.

Aristotle
12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Certainly hope not. SO hard to find Canadian examples on Youtube.

A agree.

Oh, wait...what are you talking about??

BFLPE
12-05-2014, 05:49 PM
George Jonas: Canada, a police state? No, but heading that way.

Identity politics play well in police states. We’re not there yet, not even in the vicinity. We’re just heading in that directionhttp://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/05/17/george-jonas-canada-a-police-state-no-but-heading-that-way/

Lance1
12-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Remember when the states lock down the county for a teen (Boston Bomber) hiding in a boat in a back yard in Boston? Overreaction is the norm nowadays.

Aristotle
12-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Remember when the states lock down the county for a teen (Boston Bomber) hiding in a boat in a back yard in Boston? Overreaction is the norm nowadays.

Locking down a county to find a terrorist who planted a bomb at the marathon or arresting a 15-year-old for shoplifting, under the guise of "terrorism".

It's pretty clear which one is a level-headed response, and which one is an over-reaction.

Barry Morris
12-07-2014, 01:35 PM

And a lot more evident south of the border.

Aristotle
12-08-2014, 10:27 AM
And a lot more evident south of the border.

It wasn't an over-reaction, seeing that teen killed innocent people.

Glad you people are okay with Canadian police arresting the kid, and not releasing info as to why.

Nice hypocrisy.

Barry Morris
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Nice hypocrisy.

Is that like choking a man to death while he begs for his life, and letting the killer cop off??

Aristotle
12-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Is that like choking a man to death while he begs for his life, and letting the killer cop off??

I notice your desire to throw the thread off topic. No doubt this is because the hypocrisy I point out hits home...perhaps a little too close??

Barry Morris
12-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I notice your desire to throw the thread off topic. No doubt this is because the hypocrisy I point out hits home...perhaps a little too close??

You need to remember your own comments about big boy pants.

You DID mention hypocrisy.

Aristotle
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Okay...what???

Anapeg
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Canadian security forces have charged a 15-year-old youth with terrorism-related activities after he carried out a robbery.

The youth appeared in court on Wednesday, but his identity, the grounds for the charge and the terrorist group he has been linked with haven’t been released

http://rt.com/news/211403-canada-yuoth-terrorism-police/

Hmmmm...not sure what the terrorist-in-waiting took. Perhaps a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, in which to nourish the terrorists abroad?

We shall have to wait to see.

Sure hope this isn't the beginnings of the Canadian police running roughshod over the people.

Younger ones such as this are referred to as Terrorists Wanting Induction and Training School or by the more simple acronym, TWITS

Anapeg
12-09-2014, 02:33 PM

I see this as good police work myself. Close off all avenues of escape and locate those responsible. How would you react had he made good his escape through some little used back road? I can see you having something to say regarding their ability to perform their duties.

Aristotle
12-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Younger ones such as this are referred to as Terrorists Wanting Induction and Training School or by the more simple acronym, TWITS

sacre bleu!!!

The Left Sock
12-09-2014, 06:24 PM
This thread is so laughable, the irony so rich, it's a wonder no one has picked up on it by now. Let me oblige you!

This 15 was ARRESTED! He wasn't shot at twelve times in the street, he wasn't choked to death on a sidewalk, he wasn't blasted in the guts in a playground. He was arrested!

That means he will get due process, justice will be served, and he will either pay a penalty for breaking the law, or he will get to go home.

That is, in a civilized world, and not in a police state, how things are supposed to work.

If this young man was communicating with a terror group, and was stealing things in order to join up with, or provide aid to, a terror group, then the police have every right to intervene.

But he will face justice, not an execution squad in the street.

Aristotle
12-09-2014, 06:35 PM
This thread is so laughable, the irony so rich, it's a wonder no one has picked up on it by now. Let me oblige you!

This 15 was ARRESTED! He wasn't shot at twelve times in the street, he wasn't choked to death on a sidewalk, he wasn't blasted in the guts in a playground. He was arrested!

That means he will get due process, justice will be served, and he will either pay a penalty for breaking the law, or he will get to go home.

That is, in a civilized world, and not in a police state, things are supposed to work.

If this young man was communicating with a terror group, and was stealing things in order to join up with, or provide aid to, a terror group, then the police have every right to intervene.

But he will face justice, not an execution squad in the street.

I see this thread made you over-react in an emotional outburst. Seems to me that's because it has hit home, too close to home.

Did this 15-year-old have a toy gun resembling a real gun?

Nope.

Was he arrested, and have the police kept the details of the arrest secret?

Yes.

As such, it appears the label "police state" fits quite well in this instance.

The Left Sock
12-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Governments all over the world keep details of terror-related cases out of the public eye, as matter of national security. That's nothing new.

Canada has a Young Offender's Act, that protects the privacy of children who are charged with crimes.

You put the two together, you get very little detail being released.

How you can equate that to a police state, is a mystery to me. The kid will have legal counsel, that will be fully aware of all the details. And the kid won't be shipped to Gitmo, to rot for 14 years before anyone even tries to figure out if he did something wrong.

But keep on going, you're illuminating the police state you're living in, by blathering on about our justice system. You're doing a great job!

BFLPE
12-09-2014, 07:29 PM
How doe this equate with 'Police State'?
The 15-year-old Montreal boy was arrested in October after a West Island dépanneur was held up by an assailant with a knife.

He pleaded guilty to armed robbery in November and is scheduled to be sentenced in January.

The teen’s father turned him in to police after reportedly finding money inside his son’s bag.
Investigators soon discovered there was more to it, however. They called in the RCMP after suspecting the teen robbed the store to pay for a plane ticket — reportedly to join militants overseas.

About $2,200 was stolen from the dépanneur.
The teen told investigators he was living in sin because he is in Canada and not a Muslim country.

The teen appeared in court Wednesday on the charges of:

Commission of an offence for a terrorist group.
Leaving Canada to participate in activity of a terrorist group.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/accused-quebec-teen-jihadist-charged-with-terrorism-offences-1.2860054

The Left Sock
12-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks for those details, Stupified. It certainly solidifies why there is a genuine concern here, that a serious crime was committed, and that it did have direct ties to terrorism.

Not exactly the Peanut Butter Cup caper, being described in the OP.

The Voice
12-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks for those details, Stupified. It certainly solidifies why there is a genuine concern here, that a serious crime was committed, and that it did have direct ties to terrorism.

Not exactly the Peanut Butter Cup caper, being described in the OP.

I concur with this statement.

Aristotle
12-10-2014, 08:10 AM
but...but...I thought Canada was immune to terrorism???

Barry Morris
12-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Well, you have to understand that, when standing beside the target, an assassin with bad aim is more terrifying.

Aristotle
12-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Well, you have to understand that, when standing beside the target, an assassin with bad aim is more terrifying.

Doesn't make sense.

Seems you're struggling with Myth #544 exploding.

Barry Morris
12-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Doesn't make sense.

Seems you're struggling with Myth #544 exploding.

No not really, as I typed that, I knew you would never admit to understanding it.

The Left Sock
12-10-2014, 06:05 PM

You were completely wrong in your OP, but instead of admitting that, you move the goalposts, and are completely wrong again!

It's an obvious case of going from the frying pan to the fire! Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan, and now in the fight against ISIS, makes us obvious targets for retaliation. However, we don't invade other countries without just cause, we don't torture people, and we don't build secret prisons and make people simply disappear for decades at a time, so the amount of anger directed at Canada is insignificant, compared to the hostility towards America throughout the world.

That's why Americans wear Canadian flags on them when travelling abroad, and not the other way around. Should be obvious, but here I am, spelling it out again.

Aristotle
12-10-2014, 06:57 PM
That's why Americans wear Canadian flags on them when travelling abroad, and not the other way around.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/07/im-canadian-f-you-how-boorish-utterly-wasted-tourists-are-rewriting-the-treasured-myth-of-the-nice-canuck/

You're welcome!!! :) :) :)

Aristotle
12-10-2014, 06:58 PM
so the amount of anger directed at Canada is insignificant

low-hanging fruit, I will not reach for it

The Left Sock
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Life is a game for some people. Just no way of getting around that.

Anapeg
12-10-2014, 07:18 PM
It's an obvious case of going from the frying pan to the fire! Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan, and now in the fight against ISIS, makes us obvious targets for retaliation. However, we don't invade other countries without just cause, we don't torture people, and we don't build secret prisons and make people simply disappear for decades at a time, so the amount of anger directed at Canada is insignificant, compared to the hostility towards America throughout the world.

If you are honestly sincere with these statements, you are wear a much larger set of blinders than Aristotle does. Read what you have poster man. Your second line is the most glaring self contradiction I have ever read. Bar none! Your third line is demolished simply by the second world war not mentioning following conflicts. Your naivete of Canada,s military is astounding. You have obviously not spent any time in a forward unit or with an assault group. We and the English are capable of quite possibly teaching the Americans a thing or two.

The Left Sock
12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Please name one country Canada has invaded, without just cause.

You don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about.

Anapeg
12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Please name one country Canada has invaded, without just cause.

You don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about.

Let me think, oh! Ya! Any where the Americans have gone save one!

BFLPE
12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
but...but...I thought Canada was immune to terrorism???You were wrong. It's OK, we're used to it.

The Left Sock
12-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Let me think, oh! Ya! Any where the Americans have gone save one!

So, Canada participated in the invasion of Afghanistan unjustly?

And by the way, Canada has refused to participate in more than one conflict the Americans blundered into. Perhaps you remember Vietnam?

Anapeg
12-10-2014, 07:29 PM

And by the way, Canada has refused to participate in more than one conflict the Americans blundered into. Perhaps you remember Vietnam?

You read and comprehend NOTHING. Slowly re read post #32.

Anapeg
12-10-2014, 07:31 PM

How many countries has Canada traipsed through with the Yanks in the Middle East now? Even when not involved directly we had support contingents in place.

The Left Sock
12-10-2014, 08:40 PM
You read and comprehend NOTHING. Slowly re read post #32.

Post #32: "Let me think, oh! Ya! Any where the Americans have gone save one!"

Yeah, and I responded in post #34, by mentioning Vietnam.

America invaded Iraq - we refused.

America invaded Vietnam - we refused.

Therefore, your statement of 'save one' is clearly incorrect.

My response was a direct retort to your point, completely cohesive and on topic, so I don't know what you are blathering about, in suggesting I read it slower, or pick up my comprehension skills.

I humbly suggest it is you, who should start paying closer attention.

Lance1
12-11-2014, 10:46 AM
It wasn't an over-reaction, seeing that teen killed innocent people.

Glad you people are okay with Canadian police arresting the kid, and not releasing info as to why.

Nice hypocrisy.
They have drive by shooting every day that kill more innocent people then the two Boston bomber did, but they do not lock down the country over it.
What's the difference on the method used to kill innocent people ,bullets? Pipe bomb? dead is dead.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 10:59 AM
They have drive by shooting every day that kill more innocent people then the two Boston bomber did, but they do not lock down the country over it.
What's the difference on the method used to kill innocent people ,bullets? Pipe bomb? dead is dead.

A drive-by-shooting is aimed at one person. Planting a bomb at a world-renowned marathon is an attempt to kill or injure as many as possible.

I'm sure you see the difference.

Lance1
12-11-2014, 11:08 AM
A drive-by-shooting is aimed at one person. Planting a bomb at a world-renowned marathon is an attempt to kill or injure as many as possible.

I'm sure you see the difference.

What about the two Washington snipers in Oct 2002, they killed ten people yet the country did not go marshal law over it like the Boston pipe bombers that killed only 3 people.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 11:10 AM
What about the two Washington snipers in Oct 2002, they killed ten people yet the country did not go marshal law over it like the Boston pipe bombers that killed only 3 people.

Okay, here is where you show me the country went into martial (the correct spelling, by the way) law over the Boston bombing:

Lance1
12-11-2014, 11:25 AM
When a city of 650 thousands are ordered (Curfew)to stay indoors and its airport is shutdown over a unarmed 20 year old punk Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in a boat in a backyard,thats getting close to Martial law.

Washington did not do that looking for their two snipers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Marathon_bombings#Criticism_of_lockdown

Others thought so also,and yes the word "curfew" means martial law .

Criticism of lockdown[edit]

The day-long lockdown was criticized as being an overreaction by some. Michael Cohen of The Observer said that Americans have little experience with daily terrorism compared to some countries and "are more primed to ... assume the absolute worst".[317] He wrote that it was not the first time dangerous murderers have been on the loose in a large American city, naming Christopher Dorner in February 2013 and the Beltway sniper attacks in October 2002, yet in none of the previous cases had a lockdown been used.[317] Moreover, critics, including Thomas R. Eddlem of The New American, Sean Collins of Spiked, and former Presidential candidate Ron Paul, said that martial law does not work, noting that the suspect was not found until the curfew was lifted.[317][318][319][320] Paul characterized the lockdown as "a violation of civil liberties."[320]

Haaretz's Chemi Salev wrote that "in terms of cost-benefit analysis, from the evil terrorist's point of view, the Boston Street bombings and their aftermath can only be viewed as a resounding triumph", since the "relatively amateurish" terrorists managed to intimidate a vast number of people and got a maximum amount of publicity.[321] In The New York Times, Ross Douthat commented about Salev's thoughts that the massive manhunt operation just might deter other amateur terrorists but not hard-core terrorists such as Mohammed Atta.[322] Douthat argued that out-of-the-ordinary measures can only be used when terrorism itself is out-of-the-ordinary: if attacks started to occur more often, people would not be as willing to comply with shelter in place commands, yet once a terrorist has been hunted with such an operation, it is hard to justify why such measures should not be taken the next time.[322]

Atleast the States got rid of that ridiculous color coded Homeland Security Advisory System.

Anapeg
12-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Post #32: "Let me think, oh! Ya! Any where the Americans have gone save one!"

Yeah, and I responded in post #34, by mentioning Vietnam.

America invaded Iraq - we refused.

America invaded Vietnam - we refused.

Therefore, your statement of 'save one' is clearly incorrect.

My response was a direct retort to your point, completely cohesive and on topic, so I don't know what you are blathering about, in suggesting I read it slower, or pick up my comprehension skills.

I humbly suggest it is you, who should start paying closer attention.

My God! Check stuff out. Further reading would go as follows " Even when not involved directly we had support contingents in place." post 36. While not actively involved we had support units in place, there were Canadians on the ground. Oft time indirect support led to returning fire in self defense and there in lies the rub. We were there, we were identifiable. When they said no we won't go it meant as an offensive unit. A conscientious objector if you will. Recall how in both wars conscientious objectors worked as stretcher bearers, truck drivers and the like, behind the lines in non offensive rolls. Those who would not even participate at that level stayed here and got nothing but the worst jobs going or, as I posted earlier, strung up for their 8 hour stint.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 01:21 PM
When a city of 650 thousands are ordered (Curfew)to stay indoors and its airport is shutdown over a unarmed 20 year old punk Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in a boat in a backyard,thats getting close to Martial law.

You said the entire country was put under martial law. Now you are moving the goalposts.

Thanks for admitting you were not truthful.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Seems the Police State is heating up!!

Police can search the cellphones of people they arrest under strict conditions, Canada's top court said today.

The Supreme Court of Canada says law enforcement officials can go through the cellphone of someone under arrest as long as the search relates directly to the arrest and police keep detailed notes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cellphone-searches-upon-arrest-allowed-by-canada-s-top-court-1.2869587

Barry Morris
12-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Seems the Police State is heating up!!

Police can search the cellphones of people they arrest under strict conditions, Canada's top court said today.

The Supreme Court of Canada says law enforcement officials can go through the cellphone of someone under arrest as long as the search relates directly to the arrest and police keep detailed notes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cellphone-searches-upon-arrest-allowed-by-canada-s-top-court-1.2869587

Lets look into a bill that was just passed today in the land of the free.

Aristotle
12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Lets look into a bill that was just passed today in the land of the free.

Want to keep your head in the sand over your burgeoning police state?

Understandable.

The Left Sock
12-11-2014, 08:09 PM
OMG!! Canadian police can now look at a drug dealer's cell phone? The humanity!

Why, that's almost just as bad as emptying 12 rounds into someone tryng to run away, or choking someone to death for peddling cigarettes!

It's over for Canada, time to start looking for apartments in Iceland!

Lance1
12-12-2014, 10:44 AM
What kind of morron would not delete a criminal conversation from their cell? LOL

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 11:05 AM
OMG!! Canadian police can now look at a drug dealer's cell phone? The humanity!

Why, that's almost just as bad as emptying 12 rounds into someone tryng to run away, or choking someone to death for peddling cigarettes!

It's over for Canada, time to start looking for apartments in Iceland!

Your thinly-hidden anger tells me this issue is haunting you.

It should.

Canada is become a police state.

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 11:09 AM
The Canada Revenue Agency apparently thinks it has a “Get Out Of Jail” card to play when it comes to breaking the law. Twice in the last six months, CRA agents have admitted to me that Canada’s tax collector agency has broken Canada’s privacy laws.

Nobody seems to notice.

I am one of the Canadians who received a registered letter this month from CRA Commissioner Andrew Treusch stating he “regrets to inform” me that my personal tax information was “accidentally mailed to the CBC through human error” while preparing an Access to Information Request.

Ironically, the day I received the letter was also the deadline for a CRA demand that I must pay back taxes on 2013 income for failure to supply the CRA with the very information that the CRA’s boss admits was “accidentally mailed” to the CBC.

I did not make this up. I am just trying to figure it out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/why-did-revenue-canada-get-away-with-breaching-my-privacy/article22061423/

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 11:12 AM
From lost hard drives to hacked networks and ignored security breaches, 2014 was the year that should wake us up

If there’s anyone in Canada still wondering if they have any privacy left at all, if any of their personal information has been leaked online, that would in itself be surprising.

It has been such an astonishing year for privacy violations, digital security breaches and flat-out ignorance of ongoing threats that it should be a wake-up call to everyone in power: it’s time to step up your game.

The unnerving trend of the year is that public infrastructure was attacked repeatedly, but the response was almost universally to hide the nature of the attack, fail to alert Canadians to its impacts or fail to respond to it in any way at all.

http://o.canada.com/technology/internet/2014-the-year-in-privacy-failures

Yet some of you here obsess over the US all the time. Where has the discussion been concerning this issue?

Amazing.

No doubt the Canadian government is thrilled with the ease at which it can stifle persona freedoms now.

Bluesky
12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I wonder who obsesses more. Ari re Canada or Soonetters re USA? Care to add 'em up?

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 11:20 AM
I wonder who obsesses more. Ari re Canada or Soonetters re USA? Care to add 'em up?

I simply respond in kind. That some people wince when they see their reflection is telling.

Barry Morris
12-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Want to keep your head in the sand over your burgeoning police state?

Understandable.

It's obvious who will get there first. And it won't be Canada, it will be the "land of the free!!!"

Be Proud!!!

Barry Morris
12-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Add them up?? Hell no, Ari wouldn't want that!! His anti-Canada blather out numbers the anti-USA 10 to 1!!!

Anapeg
12-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Your thinly-hidden anger tells me this issue is haunting you.

It should.

Canada is become a police state.

Not yet but it is starting. I have yet to witnessed anyone proned out during a stop. The clothing/uniforms have made the transition, the general "look" has changed but when pulled over the respect is still there. Or they at least take the time and energy to fake it. I have never seen a police weapon of any description pulled as yet and all these are between here and Toronto.

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 01:36 PM
It's obvious who will get there first. And it won't be Canada, it will be the "land of the free!!!"

Be Proud!!!

Your thinly-veiled anger shows this issue is causing you consternation.

This, in the end, is a good thing.

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Add them up?? Hell no, Ari wouldn't want that!! His anti-Canada blather out numbers the anti-USA 10 to 1!!!

I was told this is a Canadian site, and as such I shouldn't post about US issues. Meanwhile, that's all some of you post about.

Like I said, the fact you don't like the reflection when I hold up a mirror is telling.

The Left Sock
12-12-2014, 02:25 PM
America keeps splashing itself all over the world headlines in it's dizzying decline, and Canadians are supposed to just pretend nothing is happening?

Wow, you're acting more and more like North Korea and China all the time!

So, when do the media blackouts start, and when do you limit Americans to internet access, or has that already started?

Aristotle
12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
I knew Sock would have trouble accepting the news of the past few days. I had no idea it would go to this level.

It truly is fascinating to watch the reaction of some when their Potemkin village implodes.

Barry Morris
12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
I was told this is a Canadian site, and as such I shouldn't post about US issues. Meanwhile, that's all some of you post about.

Like I said, the fact you don't like the reflection when I hold up a mirror is telling.

Why do you quote when your response bears no relationship at all to the quote?? :) :) :)

Barry Morris
12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Your thinly-veiled anger shows this issue is causing you consternation.

This, in the end, is a good thing.

Oh, we know where the anger is, and feel sorry for you.

Aristotle
12-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Why do you quote when your response bears no relationship at all to the quote??

Nice example you provided, in case people didn't know what you meant :) :) :)

Aristotle
12-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Oh, we know where the anger is, and feel sorry for you.

Thank you for proving my point.

Bluesky
12-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Guys, there comes a time when you have to leave that playground game behind.. i.e. "I know you are but what am I?"

Aristotle
12-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Guys, there comes a time when you have to leave that playground game behind.. i.e. "I know you are but what am I?"

Agreed.

Barry Morris
12-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Excuse me for believing that the one who gets shutdown more than anyone else is the one who won't leave the playground.

Aristotle
12-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Excuse me for believing that the one who gets shutdown more than anyone else is the one who won't leave the playground.

Not exactly an even playing field.

But it's time to move on. I can. Can you?

BFLPE
12-13-2014, 10:45 AM
I see Canada's critic has been silenced again. To have the power of the mouse must be awesome. :|