PDA

View Full Version : Does This Illustrate a Difference Between Canada and the US?

The Left Sock
12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
A desperate man wanders around in Windsor with a handgun, apparently looking for a 'suicide by cop', and Canadian police refuse to shoot him. So, he goes over to the American border, and the American authorities oblige him:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/us/canada-border-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

So, does this illustrate a weakness on behalf of the Canadian police, or a strength? And does it illuminate a fundamental difference between police attitudes in the US and Canada?

Barry Morris
12-21-2014, 06:59 PM
The shoot first, ask questions later attitude extends back many years. My father told me that in WW2, no country's soldiers liked to be at the front lines beside the Americans, for the same reason.

BFLPE
12-22-2014, 01:31 AM
Man waves hand gun, Windsor Police do nothing and let him drive away. Was it time for fresh Donuts at Timmies? Something doesn't add up here.

Barry Morris
12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
Man waves hand gun, Windsor Police do nothing and let him drive away. Was it time for fresh Donuts at Timmies? Something doesn't add up here.

That is true. He certainly should have been stopped, and questioned, at least.

Barry Morris
12-22-2014, 08:52 AM
"According to police, the man said, "Why haven't you shot me yet?" Then he got back in his vehicle and drove away."

It's possible the cops were away from their car, and he drove off before they could catch him.

The Left Sock
12-22-2014, 10:10 AM
The latest reports state that the gun the man was waving around wasn't real. Perhaps the Canadian cops picked up on that and refused to fire, but the Americans didn't wait to figure that out?

Don't know, just trying to understand why the Canadian cops didn't use deadly force.

The Left Sock
12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Perhaps the idea of blasting a desperate man with a fake gun at Christmas just wasn't something they wanted on their conscience.

Barry Morris
12-22-2014, 10:01 PM
.... Kudos to them for not shooting to kill, ...

I doubt that was their intent, and I'd bet that shooter will be headed to the shooting range for more practice.

The Left Sock
12-22-2014, 10:06 PM
- It's was dark, 2:40am, and there's no evidence to suggest that the officers knew the gun was fake.
- There's also nothing to suggest that police officers knew anything about the man's cognitive state or possible mental health issues.
- Most police officers aren't mental health professionals.
- I highly doubt Christmas has anything to do with anything when you're dealing with a potentially deadly situation.

But I appreciate your conjecture.

I'm not sure. They let the guy drive away. That suggests to me that they knew the guy was trying to suicide by cop, and simply didn't want to follow through with it.

I could be wrong. Hopefully, there will be more details forthcoming.

Pegasus
12-22-2014, 10:37 PM
When the police arrived at the restaurant, their first action was to clear out spectators. When they turned their full attention to the the man with the gun and began to "talk him down" he bolted to his car, jumped the curb and sidewalk and tore away. The police returned to their vehicle, pursued him, but he reached the border guards before he could be apprehended. Here is my source:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/windsor-police-service/windsor-police-public-news-update-sunday-december-21-2014-firearm-call/814958205230018

Barry Morris
12-23-2014, 11:06 AM
CNN thought it sounded more exiting with some details left out!!

As usual. Half truths.

Slow
12-29-2014, 05:02 PM
from a liberal news site