PDA

View Full Version : Some People Just Don't Want to Know the Truth.

The Voice
01-07-2015, 10:08 PM
All you have to do is think about what this is really about, to understand the real problem in Palestine.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/victims-paris-attack-included-prominent-economist-frances-leading-190021926.html

Don't say anything bad about them they will kill you.

Hans
01-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Every religion or religious community has extremists, I don't think you can fault Islam for that.
It is actually more a media issue in my opinion.

Pegasus
01-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Every religion or religious community has extremists, I don't think you can fault Islam for that..

This remark brings to mind the quote of Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg: “Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”

Anapeg
01-08-2015, 08:43 PM
People know what Islamic' are like. They are not know for their wacky, well developed sense of humour. Has the Salmon Rushdie episode been forgotten already? Kick the wasps nest often enough you will be stung. They run these cartoons trying to illicit a response, they get all that and a packet of crisps and they are shocked? Really. I could have told them this was coming, does that qualify me for my own psychic show on TV? Many of the followers of Islam are fundamentalists and follow some well defined policies of their bible. I feel very sorry for family members left bereaved but this will not only continue but escalate unless people back off. Either that or create some hundreds of thousands of square miles of glass out of the local desert sand.

Hans
01-08-2015, 10:11 PM
See what the media has done to you? There are not that many followers of Islam who are fundamentalists.
23% of the world population belongs to the Islam religion, or about 1.8 billion people.
If many would be fundamentalists we would have WWIII about right now.

Anapeg
01-08-2015, 10:42 PM
See what the media has done to you? There are not that many followers of Islam who are fundamentalists.
23% of the world population belongs to the Islam religion, or about 1.8 billion people.
If many would be fundamentalists we would have WWIII about right now.

Where did I say how many there where? No, I alluded to the fundamentalists as being the crux of the problem. I would never be so bold as to give figures regarding a religion I have little knowledge of. You jump to yet another conclusion assuming me incapable of forming a thought on my own.

Hans
01-09-2015, 07:22 AM
No, you clearly stated many muslims are fundamentalists.
And the only religion you mentioned was Islam

"Many of the followers of Islam are fundamentalists and follow some well defined policies of their bible."

Anapeg
01-09-2015, 10:06 AM
No, you clearly stated many muslims are fundamentalists.
And the only religion you mentioned was Islam

"Many of the followers of Islam are fundamentalists and follow some well defined policies of their bible."

Well thank you for clearing that up, it may have confused others as well.

Hans
01-10-2015, 12:36 AM
You never know.

Anapeg
01-10-2015, 01:01 PM
You never know.

Perhaps, I see my understanding on par with others until they make a point of letting me know I have confused them.

Barry Morris
01-10-2015, 10:44 PM
This remark brings to mind the quote of Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg: “Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”

What's your take on this when the religion specifically forbids these actions??

Barry Morris
01-10-2015, 10:45 PM
Well thank you for clearing that up, it may have confused others as well.

Don't let Han's "english" bother you.

Many doesn't mean most.

Pegasus
01-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Yes, Barry, one would think that if a religion "specifically forbids" bad actions, no evil could be done in its name. But as a faith mutates, branches off, is used by unscrupulous leaders, feels threatened, becomes expansionary, or is misinterpreted, people begin to rationalize and find ways around the faith's restrictions about bad actions. The Inquisition comes to mind- where good people killed other good people in the name doctrinal purity- despite the commandment "Thou shalt not kill." Sadly, in a related vein, when people believe in an afterlife, it seems to cheapen the value of temporal life. (e.g. I will blow myself up and become a martyr and live in heaven.) Political movements that eventually morph into religions also lead good or well-intentioned people to do evil things. (e.g. crimes against humanity committed in the name of communism)

Hans
01-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Don't let Han's "english" bother you.

Many doesn't mean most.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/many

"constituting or forming a large number; numerous:
many people."

- 1.8 billion people are members of the Islam religion. So if you use the term many, you are talking about a large number.
- A large number of 1.8 billion would indicate more than 10%, or 180 million.
- If there truly would be more than 180 million extremists amongst the Muslim religion, we would be engulfed with terrorists and terrorist attacks.
- As a reference, there are less than 2 million on active duty in the US army. They would not be able to fend off 180 million extremists. It would be a guaranteed loss for the US forces.

Since we are not in such a situation, it must be a small minority amongst the muslims who are extremists. Which is no different than any other religion.

Barry Morris
01-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Hans, if 50 Muslims wall d by, and stepped on your toes, you would be quite justified in using the word "many", but NOT " most"!!

Hans
01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Hans, if 50 Muslims wall d by, and stepped on your toes, you would be quite justified in using the word "many", but NOT " most"!!

That is correct, but that was not the context the word "many" was used in.

Hans
01-11-2015, 05:14 PM

That is equal to stating ""Many of the 1.8 billion followers of Islam are fundamentalists and follow some well defined policies of their bible."

Barry Morris
01-11-2015, 06:22 PM

And this is true too.

"There are not that many followers of Islam who are fundamentalists."

Neither of which indicates any error on Anapeg's part.

Anapeg
01-11-2015, 06:46 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/many

"constituting or forming a large number; numerous:
many people."

- 1.8 billion people are members of the Islam religion. So if you use the term many, you are talking about a large number.
- A large number of 1.8 billion would indicate more than 10%, or 180 million.
- If there truly would be more than 180 million extremists amongst the Muslim religion, we would be engulfed with terrorists and terrorist attacks.
- As a reference, there are less than 2 million on active duty in the US army. They would not be able to fend off 180 million extremists. It would be a guaranteed loss for the US forces.

Since we are not in such a situation, it must be a small minority amongst the muslims who are extremists. Which is no different than any other religion.

Do you over analyze and micro manage everything you are involved in or is this tirade reserved solely for myself?

Hans
01-12-2015, 07:10 AM
It is neither over analyze or micro manage. It is more of a corrective nature.

Anapeg
01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
It is neither over analyze or micro manage. It is more of a corrective nature.

BULL! As a moderator it is in your ken to keep things on topic not go off and an anal tirade that derails the conversation and adds nothing to the original topic.

Hans
01-12-2015, 05:57 PM
It adds everything to the original topic, as you generalize many muslims to be a bunch of terrorists. And that is not the case.