PDA

View Full Version : Canadian MP blames tight underpants for exit from parliament

RWGR
02-20-2015, 09:21 AM
A Canadian MP offered one of the most original excuses ever heard for leaving parliament in a hurry - tight underpants.

His cut-price and, as it turned out, overly tight underpants made it difficult for him to sit through a one-by-one vote, opposition MP Pat Martin told the bewildered Speaker.

But he did made it back in time to cast his ballot.

A Twitter storm about not very well briefed MPs hit shortly afterwards.

Mr Martin drew applause and laughter from the chamber when he explained his temporary absence.

"They had men's underwear on for half price and I bought a bunch that was clearly too small for me. I find it difficult to sit for any length of time."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31547073

Barry Morris
02-20-2015, 09:50 AM
A Canadian MP offered one of the most original excuses ever heard for leaving parliament in a hurry - tight underpants.

His cut-price and, as it turned out, overly tight underpants made it difficult for him to sit through a one-by-one vote, opposition MP Pat Martin told the bewildered Speaker.

But he did made it back in time to cast his ballot.

A Twitter storm about not very well briefed MPs hit shortly afterwards.

Mr Martin drew applause and laughter from the chamber when he explained his temporary absence.

"They had men's underwear on for half price and I bought a bunch that was clearly too small for me. I find it difficult to sit for any length of time."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31547073

I trust you will be posting similar humour about American politicians???

RWGR
02-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Barry, seriously??

This is a harmless, funny story.

Bluesky
02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
RWGR, it's the Canadian way. Balance. And then we need a humorous politician story from Belize, New Guinea and South Africa.

RWGR
02-20-2015, 10:10 AM
RWGR, it's the Canadian way. Balance. And then we need a humorous politician story from Belize, New Guinea and South Africa.

On it!

The Left Sock
02-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Poor little feller. It's a crying shame when a man's tighty-whities turn on him, and try to strangle his vittles.

As for me, only fine quality American cotton from the unmentionables section of Walmart will do. Always a great price, always a great fit.

I like to keep America close to my..... heart!

RWGR
02-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Poor little feller. It's a crying shame when a man's tighty-whities turn on him, and try to strangle his vittles.

As for me, only fine quality American cotton from the unmentionables section of Walmart will do. Always a great price, always a great fit.

I like to keep America close to my..... heart!

I'd say brain would fit here

But, it's Sock's world...we just live in it :)

RWGR
02-20-2015, 10:53 AM
You know what's even more entertaining than a Canadian MP blaming tight underpants for exit from parliament?

The reaction of some Canadians to the story!

Anapeg
02-20-2015, 01:12 PM
When I read the piece the OP mentioned I could not fathom, never mind believe him even grasping at that straw, pun intended.

Bluesky
02-20-2015, 06:47 PM
I don't think he was speaking as a mod. He has no modding rights in this forum, I don't think. That's why the Voice will prolly get away with calling him names of epic proportions. Hans doesn't mod much.

Barry Morris
02-20-2015, 10:28 PM
I don't think he was speaking as a mod. He has no modding rights in this forum, I don't think. That's why the Voice will prolly get away with calling him names of epic proportions. Hans doesn't mod much.

I reported it. We'll see.

I'm just considering the source!! :) :) :)

KDawg
02-20-2015, 10:56 PM
I reported it. We'll see.

I'm just considering the source!! :) :) :)
Of course you did.

Barry Morris
02-21-2015, 01:47 AM
You know what's even more entertaining than a Canadian MP blaming tight underpants for exit from parliament?

The reaction of some Canadians to the story!

Yeah, Voice for instance!!

No, it IS funny. But looking for that balance.

RWGR
02-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Voice for instance!!

No, it IS funny. But looking for that balance.

You didn't see my rip the President of the United States in another thread?

Sorry, I can't find a story of an American congressman leaving Capitol Hill because his cheap underwear caused great discomfort.

You have to admit, this is kind of a unique story.

think about it, Barry: I call the President of my country an ignoramus of the highest proportions, and post a lighthearted story about the foibles of a Canadian politician, and you're insinuating I'm on the verge of 'Canada bashing'.

That's taking it too far, my friend.

The Left Sock
02-21-2015, 10:23 AM
But the guy made it back for the vote - he overcame his stifled nads, didn't let democracy falter.... is there no mercy, no compassion in this world?

The Left Sock
02-21-2015, 10:25 AM
I just realized something. If he was being strangled, then left the room, then came back relieved.....

Oh my, I think he must have been free-balling it through that vote!

RWGR
02-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Ba-Doom Boom!!

Barry Morris
02-21-2015, 03:34 PM
You didn't see my rip the President of the United States in another thread?

Sorry, I can't find a story of an American congressman leaving Capitol Hill because his cheap underwear caused great discomfort.

You have to admit, this is kind of a unique story.

think about it, Barry: I call the President of my country an ignoramus of the highest proportions, and post a lighthearted story about the foibles of a Canadian politician, and you're insinuating I'm on the verge of 'Canada bashing'.

That's taking it too far, my friend.

Not really. All I have to do is look at your offerings overall.

Bluesky
02-22-2015, 06:00 AM
The Voice got banned. Hans does moderate now and then! Whaddya know?

Hans
02-22-2015, 07:16 PM
I am a firm believer in quality, not quantity.
Better 1 bird in your hand than 10 in the air.

Bluesky
02-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Yah, wait for a quality insult. Got it.

RWGR
02-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Not really. All I have to do is look at your offerings overall.

And your anti-US rants are all okay though.

Interesting double-standard

RWGR
02-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Hans is the best Mod here, hands down.

It's not even close.

Barry Morris
02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
And your anti-US rants are all okay though.

Interesting double-standard

Yeah, we know, 20 anti Canada to 1 US bash is about what you want.

RWGR
02-23-2015, 06:05 PM
"we" know

Barry is fishing for friends again.

Barry Morris
02-23-2015, 07:18 PM
"we" know

Barry is fishing for friends again.

And RWGR is insulting again. And off topic. And not addressing the point.

No change. And I had so much hope.

RWGR
02-24-2015, 08:57 AM
You're the one that started fishing for a fight. You showed your true colors, and showed you were not the least interested in starting anew.

other comments on the board have referred to as much

Barry Morris
02-24-2015, 09:55 AM
You're the one that started fishing for a fight. You showed your true colors, and showed you were not the least interested in starting anew.

other comments on the board have referred to as much

I was asking for a more balanced approach. You showed your true colors IMMEDIATELY, and showed you were not the least interested in starting anew.

RWGR
02-24-2015, 10:02 AM
That's simply not what happened. As others have commented, you started fishing for a fight early.

Nevertheless, I am moving on from this. There are issues to discuss, etc.

Barry Morris
02-24-2015, 06:16 PM
..... There are issues to discuss, etc.

:) :) :)

Bluesky
02-25-2015, 02:47 PM
I was asking for a more balanced approach. You showed your true colors IMMEDIATELY, and showed you were not the least interested in starting anew.

Nothing in the rules about a "balanced approach". Only if you're CRTC.

Official Cat of Soonet
02-25-2015, 04:16 PM
I agree with the fishing stories

Official Cat of Soonet
02-25-2015, 04:25 PM
And Anapeg I owe you a Dr. Phil quote. Now that my jail term is over I will work on it.

Anapeg
02-25-2015, 04:26 PM
You did/do seem a bit "on edge" Barry as if your tolerance levels need shoring up. The Voice thing was warranted as a side note in case you wondered. Name calling is so school yard, it ruffles my feathers each and every time it comes up.

Anapeg
02-25-2015, 04:27 PM
And Anapeg I owe you a Dr. Phil quote. Now that my jail term is over I will work on it.

I am bad Kitty. I did not notice you had been sent to the 'sin bin'.