PDA

View Full Version : Playing The 'Middle'

The Left Sock
03-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Different people get caught up in religion, for different reasons. Some are just looking for answers, others are looking for opportunities. Here's one recent example, a mere pebble on a beach in front of a mountain of such examples, of why certain men gravitate toward religion, as a means to extract power from others they couldn't possibly get any other way:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/01/us/victor-barnard-brazil-caught/index.html

The point is, I'm suspicious of anyone who gets involved with organized religion, especially those who aspire to leadership roles. What are they in it for? For some, it's money. For others, it's exploitation of their flock. And I guess for many, it's the thrill of being more important in this world, than the real world would ever allow.

So, why is it, that over and over and over again, gullible people are sucked in and victimized by charismatic religious leaders? You would think that the church organizations throughout the world would be awake by now, wary of the risks involved. Why isn't there an infrastructure in place within churches, to keep a constant vigil against these kinds of things. It's like a broken record - People get caught up in a new leader, throw their common sense out the window, and are traumatized down the road.

When is organized religion going to wake up, in an organized way?

Guess Who?
03-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I know of a local guy who bought a church and started up a "flock", purely for the money. He has no credentials other than he calls himself a "pastor". They prey on the weak and the insecure. There should be some protection under the criminal code.

The Left Sock
03-01-2015, 01:18 PM
I have to admit, I'm more tolerant of religious leaders who are merely after money, than some of the other characters out there. Some people will throw their money away on almost anything. I love the TV evangelist guy who asks people to touch their TV screen, so he can heal them. Then he asks for money. That's showbiz!

The guys who make me really nervous are cats like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024621/Meet-exorcist-schoolgirls-spend-time-casting-demons-worldwide.html

You gonna trust your teenage daughter to this guy, so he can turn them into some half-arsed vampire slayer? Anytime a grown man wants to recruit and train a bunch of teen-aged girls for anything, red flags should pop up automatically.

Some years down the road, we might see headlines about this guy, and just how much 'commitment' he expected from these girls. Or maybe we will get lucky, and he was just after the thrill that comes with thinking he is so powerful.

As stated before, I am openly suspicious of anyone like this, and naturally expect the worst.

Bluesky
03-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Yeah, here's a person who did it for the money: part of organized religion. Missionary.
http://news.sciencemag.org/africa/2014/10/ebola-survivor-ii-nancy-writebol-we-just-dont-even-have-clue-what-happened

I know her daughter.

Bluesky
03-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Another one doing it for the money
http://www.graciaburnham.org/

I know her. Her husband was killed by terrorists.

Bluesky
03-02-2015, 12:08 AM
And of course who can forget these five. Greedy. The lot of them. Hungry for power, Yeah.

http://avalon44.tripod.com/fr/auca.htm

I knew the widow of Roger Youderian.

Barry Morris
03-02-2015, 04:55 AM
I know of a local guy who bought a church and started up a "flock", purely for the money. He has no credentials other than he calls himself a "pastor". They prey on the weak and the insecure. There should be some protection under the criminal code.

Who is the "they"???

The Left Sock
03-02-2015, 08:11 AM
This thread is about charismatic religious leaders, and the types of problems that are associated with them. I guess I should add one more character type to the list:

- those religious leaders that stick their noses in other people's business, and get their followers killed, because they are trying to 'save the world' from itself.

Bluesky
03-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Your hard-bitten cynicism is rather breathtaking.

The Left Sock
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Pulling out martyrs to distract from the truth is a little surprising as well.

The Left Sock
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
When you run out of Canadians to convert or feed, I will start having sympathy for people who get speared to death in the jungle for showing up uninvited.

Chachinga
03-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Who is this and where is the church?
Should be no harm stating this if it is true.

Barry Morris
03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Who is this and where is the church?
Should be no harm stating this if it is true.

Problem is, the reasons given for it's existence are not true, just GW's opinion.

Barry Morris
03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Your hard-bitten cynicism is rather breathtaking.

I'm afraid I've had too much input from LS to believe anything he says. It's just a game.

The Left Sock
03-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Whatever helps you keep the blinders on.

The Left Sock
03-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Another example of someone going where they weren't invited:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-pastor-missing-aid-trip-north-korea-195853388.html

Really? After all the news stories about how screwed up North Korea is, people are still going there? How much is this going to cost the Canadian government to sort out?

As far as I'm concerned, you go sticking your nose in North Korea's business, you should be on your own.

The Left Sock
03-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Wow, just read my OP again... looks like I had that particular character type already covered, just wasn't actively aware I had:

"And I guess for many, it's the thrill of being more important in this world, than the real world would ever allow."

It applies wverywhere - the jungle, North Korea, and the Middle-East!

The Left Sock
03-03-2015, 04:16 AM
I just ordered my Peter Popoff miracle spring water. He says money is going to be running after me, chasing me down!

Now in a larger pack, to reach more of God's people!

RWGR
03-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Sock, are you supporting the Communist regime in N Korea?

The Left Sock
03-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Oh crap, someone figured me out. Better burn my hard drives, and bug out!

Get a grip! Opposing North Korea doesn't involve supporting people who smuggle themselves in for their own agendas, just to end up on North Korean TV as bargaining chips for Western dialogue.

RWGR
03-04-2015, 10:32 AM
You earlier inferred people should not interfere with N Korea.

Doesn't such a deranged, dangerous regime deserve to be meddles with?

Or are they a legitimate government?

The Left Sock
03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
You earlier inferred people should not interfere with N Korea.

Doesn't such a deranged, dangerous regime deserve to be meddles with?

Or are they a legitimate government?

That statement is so out of touch with what I said on so many levels, I simply won't humor it with a response.

RWGR
03-04-2015, 06:01 PM
That statement is so out of touch with what I said on so many levels, I simply won't humor it with a response.

So you feel they are a legitimate government.

Good enough, thanks.

The Left Sock
03-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Off topic. Still won't respond.