PDA

View Full Version : I owe RWGR an apology

Bluesky
03-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Came across this video. This is about evangelical missionaries and their kids. It's about the sexual abuse that has taken place, and as I viewed it, I was convicted to ask RWGR forgiveness for the times I insisted that the problem of sexual abuse was not as bad in Protestant circles. I am ashamed and humbled.

RWGR, I am sorry.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2011/August/Missionary-Kids-Silent-No-More-about-Abuse-/#.VPkvhiAU9Ps.facebook

kalam
03-06-2015, 09:32 PM
You are a bigger man than most.

KaL

Barry Morris
03-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Blue, are you saying that child abuse is actually MORE prevalent in Protestant circles??

If so, we'd like to see numbers.

No walk of life is free from this.

Bluesky
03-07-2015, 12:22 AM
No. I am saying that as complaints went to the higher ups in organizations, those in charge at first sought to hide and ignore the abuse. It was not taken seriously.

I have no idea of the numbers. But I can imagine that all of us being cursed with the same problem, the numbers are probably distributed evenly.

Barry Morris
03-07-2015, 12:45 AM
Just another one of those things we don't want to discuss!!

RWGR
03-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Blue, you don't owe anyone anything.

All this aside, it's been a pleasure discussing issues with you the last decade.

RWGR
03-07-2015, 09:54 AM
What we know now is this: sexual abuse with minors happens in every field in which adults are with children in a trusting environment. This is not a Protestant issue, it's not a Catholic issue, it's not a secular issue, it's a human condition issue.

And when my secular colleagues point to the religion-abuse issue I simply remind them that our chosen profession, sadly, has numbers that are monumental in comparison.

RWGR
03-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Just another one of those things we don't want to discuss!!

Now.

how convenient.

Bluesky
03-07-2015, 01:38 PM
This is not a Protestant issue, it's not a Catholic issue, it's not a secular issue, it's a human condition issue.

Agreed.

Anapeg
03-07-2015, 03:34 PM
I have said this much all along. What I have and do yet lament is the fact it goes from the bottom to the top and the top covers for the bottom. I have never said the problem was Catholic problem, I have said it was a leadership problem. Those in 'charge' lying and hiding the wrong doers. It exacerbated the problem and made those suffering out to be the evil ones and the liars. This was the story in the Boy Scouts, the Police agency's, Churches, and the cadets. Anywhere adults hold sway over kids and time alone with them.
It happens, it is a violation that was made worse by the tacit approval of the higher ups. The offender was at worst released from duty yet more often simply moved to a new spot and allowed to carry on there until familiarity came to light and they were moved yet again.

Barry Morris
03-08-2015, 10:14 AM
I have said this much all along. What I have and do yet lament is the fact it goes from the bottom to the top and the top covers for the bottom. I have never said the problem was Catholic problem, I have said it was a leadership problem. Those in 'charge' lying and hiding the wrong doers. It exacerbated the problem and made those suffering out to be the evil ones and the liars. This was the story in the Boy Scouts, the Police agency's, Churches, and the cadets. Anywhere adults hold sway over kids and time alone with them.
It happens, it is a violation that was made worse by the tacit approval of the higher ups. The offender was at worst released from duty yet more often simply moved to a new spot and allowed to carry on there until familiarity came to light and they were moved yet again.

This is why I'm avoiding the discusion.

Anapeg
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM
This is why I'm avoiding the discussion.

Yet it is an undeniable truth. In each and every situation. It is the deceit and denial of the higher up's that prolonged the abuse and allowed even more kids to suffer a life of memories and self doubt. Each and every one thought of the perpetrator first, themselves and their position second, and what was for supper third. We, the children never even entered their self serving minds.

RWGR
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM
This is why I'm avoiding the discusion.

Because of Blue's link?