PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Chart

RWGR
03-15-2015, 07:33 AM
of who is 'churched', where the are 'churched', or if they are 'churched'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=http://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/03/Top-Three-Religions-by-State.jpg&w=1484

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Two denominations listed, as compared to dozens of others.

Odd that.

RWGR
03-16-2015, 09:30 AM
I always thought Catholic, Protestant, and Mormon added up to three.

Could be my math skills lacking, though

Bluesky
03-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Protestant is not a denomination, BM.

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Protestant is not a denomination, BM.

Ya figure??? RW doesn't know that!!!

Catholics would be one. Mormons are the other. Got it now??

RWGR
03-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Ya figure??? RW doesn't know that!!!

Barry, let the anger go. What's done is done.

I did not create the chart. If you have a problem with the designations take it up with the creators.

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Barry, let the anger go. What's done is done.

I did not create the chart. If you have a problem with the designations take it up with the creators.

Seems to me that comparing Catholics (a denomination) with Protestants (a description) is a recurring theme.

RWGR
03-16-2015, 12:55 PM
I am merely showing a chart that shows the breakdown.

I'm going to bet other Protestants don't find the chart offensive.

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 01:24 PM
I am merely showing a chart that shows the breakdown.

I'm going to bet other Protestants don't find the chart offensive.

I don't find ignorance offensive.

This reminds me of a chart that was on the religion page in the Sault Star some years ago. It listed the percentages of denominations in Canada, but below it, there were no less than eleven churches advertising that were not included.

It's simplistic.

RWGR
03-16-2015, 01:29 PM
I don't find ignorance offensive.

This reminds me of a chart that was on the religion page in the Sault Star some years ago. It listed the percentages of denominations in Canada, but below it, there were no less than eleven churches advertising that were not included.

It's simplistic.

I don't the intent of the chart was to show where every Protestant denomination resides. After all, how many would that be?

It is not unusual to divide religious affiliation between Catholic, Protestant, and Mormon when getting a general overview of who resides where. I'm sure more in-depth reports and charts exist, but such depth was not the goal of this particular report and chart. It's a general overview.

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 01:58 PM
My point had nothing to do with location.

It's just a VERY general overview, typical of the secular media.

Bluesky
03-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Nope. Not offensive. Nor is it a work of ignorance. Everyone knows that we commonly compare Protestants and Catholics all the time without making more specific about the numerous denominations within Protestantism.

RWGR
03-16-2015, 06:38 PM
My point had nothing to do with location.

It's just a VERY general overview, typical of the secular media.

It is general, and I agree the secular media can be overtly typical in how they treat religious issues.

But this is simply a study of whom resides where. It is not making any grand pronunciations, etc.

You're reading way too much into it

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Nope. Not offensive. Nor is it a work of ignorance. Everyone knows that we commonly compare Protestants and Catholics all the time without making more specific about the numerous denominations within Protestantism.

Seems to me it's like comparing Cadillacs to automobiles!!!!

Bluesky
03-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Not at all. Because Cadillacs are also automobiles.
Catholics are not Protestants.

Barry Morris
03-16-2015, 11:30 PM
... Because Cadillacs are also automobiles.

Oh..