PDA

View Full Version : John Lennox meets Conrad Black

Bluesky
03-21-2015, 03:01 PM
When taxed with the extent of the universe and what is beyond it, most atheists now immerse themselves in diaphanous piffle about a multiverse

but the decline of Christianity is much more of a delusion than God is and even more wishful, and the serious defenders of a divine intelligence such as the delightful John Lennox almost always win the argument, as he did with Dawkins and the rest.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/21/conrad-black-the-shabby-shallow-world-of-the-militant-atheist/

Barry Morris
03-21-2015, 05:58 PM
"... agnosticism is a much more rigorous position than the belligerence of the proselytizing atheists,..."

Interesting, and obvious.

dancingqueen
03-21-2015, 10:56 PM
That was pure drivel....
not one substantiated point made, I expected better than just "Using a bunch of big words to sound enlightened" from you Blue.

Barry, I'm wondering if you care to expand on your thoughts.

Barry Morris
03-22-2015, 09:14 AM
That was pure drivel....
not one substantiated point made, I expected better than just "Using a bunch of big words to sound enlightened" from you Blue.

Barry, I'm wondering if you care to expand on your thoughts.

MY thoughts??? That's a quote from the site Blue mentioned.

Part of the "pure drivel".

My repetition of it expands on my previous words, that something ie this universe, cannot come from nothing.

The atheist dosn't know what to do about that. The agnostic at least admits the possibility of some kind of creator/source but thinks we cannot know for sure.

Bluesky
03-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Besides just a put down, perhaps DQ wants to explain WHY he considers the aforesaid " pure drivel". Then we have the makings of a conversation.

dancingqueen
03-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Besides just a put down, perhaps DQ wants to explain WHY he considers the aforesaid " pure drivel". Then we have the makings of a conversation.

the interviewees use big complicated, unessecary wording in an effort to sound more intelligent. I just don't happen to find myself convinced that this was a particularly enlightening conversation. There was nothing new in this discussion, all these points have been made on this very board with much less effort to overcompensate. The reason I asked Barry to expand on his view was to show that. I'm sorry if I came across as insulting.

Bluesky
03-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Well, technically, an ad hominem is directed at a person. But to say that something is drivel, and then to walk away is as un-enlightening.

Sure, those points have been tlked about before, and Conrad Black is pompous in his style, that is for sure. I don't find him a very good candidate for the cause. However, I was surprised to see him do this article. That is why I posted it. I didn't think his arguments were particularly unique. But I do enjoy his writing, pomposity aside.(it seems at time that he goes out of his way to use a fancy word when a simple one will do).

dancingqueen
03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
I did not just walk away... I was waiting for Barry's response. Please forgive me for not jumping on this as soon as I woke up.
Though my wording was crude, there where no insults intended for you, Barry, or the source of the article, simply for these two people and people like them that seem to inflate their arguments with big words to try and sound more valid.

Barry Morris
03-22-2015, 06:21 PM
I did not just walk away... I was waiting for Barry's response. Please forgive me for not jumping on this as soon as I woke up.
Though my wording was crude, there where no insults intended for you, Barry, or the source of the article, simply for these two people and people like them that seem to inflate their arguments with big words to try and sound more valid.

Not impressed by the verbose, myself!!

RWGR
03-23-2015, 11:36 AM
I thought this said "John Lennon Meets Conrad Black" at first sight.

"Blue certainly got an exclusive here", thought I.