PDA

View Full Version : Facts vs. Opinions

Barry Morris
03-27-2015, 11:15 AM
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com//2015/03/02/why-our-children-dont-think-there-are-moral-facts/

"...our public schools teach students that all claims are either facts or opinions and that all value and moral claims fall into the latter camp. The punchline: there are no moral facts. And if there are no moral facts, then there are no moral truths..."

Nihilistic Heathen
03-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Barry posts a link here because it somehow appeals to his ethos, but fails to comment on it.

Barry Morris
03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Barry posts a link here because it somehow appeals to his ethos, but fails to comment on it.

A quote might be used as a comment, which is what I did. What else could I say that you don't already know about my stance on the subject?

RWGR
03-27-2015, 02:27 PM
I don't know of any public schools that teach moral and ethical foundations.

College, it happens all the time. But the subject is a bit deep for public schools, at least in my experience.

Nihilistic Heathen
03-27-2015, 03:17 PM
A quote might be used as a comment, which is what I did. What else could I say that you don't already know about my stance on the subject?

I don't know what your stance is on the subject, what is your thought on this....

When I went to visit my sonís second grade open house, I found a troubling pair of signs hanging over the bulletin board. They read:

Fact: Something that is true about a subject and can be tested or proven.

Opinion: What someone thinks, feels, or believes.

I do not see what is troubling about these signs. Especially in the setting it is in, a grade two classroom.

Official Cat of Soonet
03-27-2015, 06:06 PM
I love the line after he mentions the grade two classroom

"Hoping that this set of definitions was a one-off mistake, I went home and Googled “fact vs. opinion.” The definitions I found online were substantially the same as the one in my son’s classroom."

Then I looked up breasts and they aren't just my favourite piece of chicken. Then I looked up reality but had no idea what it was trying to say

Bluesky
03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Are all opinions wrong? Oh wait a minute. In this universe, there is no right and wrong. Those are only opinions.

Barry Morris
03-28-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't know what your stance is on the subject, what is your thought on this....

I do not see what is troubling about these signs. Especially in the setting it is in, a grade two classroom.

I don't think you read it.

"But second, and worse, students are taught that claims are either facts or opinions. They are given quizzes in which they must sort claims into one camp or the other but not both. But if a fact is something that is true and an opinion is something that is believed, then many claims will obviously be both. "

Nihilistic Heathen
03-28-2015, 01:20 PM
I don't think you read it.

"But second, and worse, students are taught that claims are either facts or opinions. They are given quizzes in which they must sort claims into one camp or the other but not both. But if a fact is something that is true and an opinion is something that is believed, then many claims will obviously be both. "

Oh I read it, you are obviously missing the point.

RWGR
03-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Are all opinions wrong? Oh wait a minute. In this universe, there is no right and wrong. Those are only opinions.

zzzzing

Official Cat of Soonet
03-28-2015, 02:23 PM
OK its time cat philosopher comes to the rescuer. Maybe his kid really isn't at school. That is deep.

Bluesky
03-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Is that a fact or opinion? It matters, you know? Oh wait. That's just my opinion.

KDawg
03-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Is that a fact or opinion? It matters, you know? Oh wait. That's just my opinion.
Do you have any fact-based studies to back up your assertions?

Bluesky
03-29-2015, 04:18 PM
I have opinion based facts. And I have fact based opinions.