PDA

View Full Version : Walmart fired 2,200 to fix the plumbing

Hans
04-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Walmart surprised everyone and put 2,200 people out of work Monday when it temporarily closed five stores.
The reason for the shut down: plumbing problems, according to the retailer.

Two of the stores are in Texas, and the others are in California, Florida and Oklahoma.

They will be closed for "extended repairs" for approximately six months, the company said. The stores closed at 7 p.m. Monday, after workers were notified just hours before that they were losing their jobs.

Luna said she believes Walmart is closing the Pico Rivera store because its employees have been very active in protesting for higher pay. Workers there led one of the first Black Friday protests back in 2012.

But a Walmart (WMT) spokesman said the decision to close the store has nothing to do with anything but the plumbing.

"We understand this decision has been difficult on our associates and our customers and we aim to reopen these stores as soon as these issues are resolved," he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/16/news/companies/walmart-closing-plumbing/index.html

I am sure it is all about the plumbing and not about "setting an example to those who are thinking about standing up for their rights".

Barry Morris
04-16-2015, 08:57 PM
And that is why unions exist.

Hans
04-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Not all the workers. Only the full time workers.
Nice try though.

Barry Morris
04-16-2015, 10:47 PM
"Both full-time and part-time workers will be put on paid leave for two months, during which time they can try to transfer to a different Walmart location. Full-time employees who don't get another Walmart job by June 19 may be eligible for severance, which part time workers aren't eligible for."

Official Cat of Soonet
04-16-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm all for whatever keeps the prices low.

Barry Morris
04-17-2015, 06:02 AM
I'm all for whatever keeps the prices low.

But the poor can't afford low quality.

Official Cat of Soonet
04-17-2015, 03:52 PM
But the poor can't afford low quality.

They should have thought about that before skipping school or forgetting to do their homework.

Anapeg
04-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Of course it is all about plumbing, Wally World takin' care o' $hit. Then Toyota shuts the Camry plant in Oshawa and invest billions in Mexico. They want people to buy but they have to find work at another locale to shop.

RWGR
04-17-2015, 04:41 PM
they should have thought about that before skipping school or forgetting to do their homework.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiinnnggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

RWGR
04-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Of course it is all about plumbing, Wally World takin' care o' $hit. Then Toyota shuts the Camry plant in Oshawa and invest billions in Mexico. They want people to buy but they have to find work at another locale to shop.

You know what you get when you sign the dotted line to work for Wal Mart. They don't keep their feelings about unions or unionizing secret.

You want to work and be a union member? Then don't apply at Wal Mart.

Too lazy to gain any employable skills that may open up more doors to you than Wal Mart? There's the bed you made, go lie in it.

Wal Mart didn't force a single person to work for them.

Anapeg
04-17-2015, 05:09 PM
You know what you get when you sign the dotted line to work for Wal Mart. They don't keep their feelings about unions or unionizing secret.

You want to work and be a union member? Then don't apply at Wal Mart.

Too lazy to gain any employable skills that may open up more doors to you than Wal Mart? There's the bed you made, go lie in it.

Wal Mart didn't force a single person to work for them.

Knowing how they operate does not make their business practices any more palatable.

Barry Morris
04-17-2015, 06:09 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiinnnggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say that after leaving the can, too!!

Official Cat of Soonet
04-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Say that after leaving the can, too!!

I don't get it

Barry Morris
04-17-2015, 06:38 PM
I don't get it

Yes, I know.

Hans
04-17-2015, 06:38 PM
They should have thought about that before skipping school or forgetting to do their homework.

Do you have a source for that? I thought Walmart only employed the best?

Barry Morris
04-17-2015, 06:40 PM

But of course!!!

And they "roll back" prices, too. Of course, we know what they were before!!!

Official Cat of Soonet
04-17-2015, 06:40 PM

Do you have a source stating they only hire the best?

Official Cat of Soonet
04-17-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure they are the brightest. When you are holding the cash for your purchases in their face and they ask if you are paying with your Walmart mastercard, well you know....one wonders

Then you have a group who decide to protest on the busiest shopping day of the year to a store who has a history of packing it up when employees try to unionize and then get angry when they close up shop. They thought they would be the ones that would break Walmart non union stance...so yeah they are definitely not the brightest.

Official Cat of Soonet
04-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes, I know.

As long as you know that you make no sense I don't see a problem.

Hans
04-18-2015, 12:06 AM
Sorry, all the workers will get two months of paid leave and can transfer to another Walmart. Only the full time workers get severance... apparently.

That differentiation has made Walmart truly evil.

So how does one determine the paid leave of a part time worker?

Official Cat of Soonet
04-18-2015, 02:58 AM
So how does one determine the paid leave of a part time worker?

You take the square root of 'take this free money' and divide it by 'or leave it.'

RWGR
04-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Knowing how they operate does not make their business practices any more palatable.

My point wasn't if their business practices are palatable or not.

Barry Morris
04-18-2015, 08:34 AM
As long as you know that you make no sense I don't see a problem.

The letter expressing my deep concern for your lack of understanding is in the mail.

Official Cat of Soonet
04-18-2015, 09:58 AM
The letter expressing my deep concern for your lack of understanding is in the mail.

Which color crayon did you use?

Barry Morris
04-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Which color crayon did you use?

Black of course.

Black paper.

I used small words.

Official Cat of Soonet
04-18-2015, 12:32 PM
I used small words.

As long as you can get your point across I won't rush your progression.

Barry Morris
04-18-2015, 01:05 PM
As long as you can get your point across I won't rush your progression.

Or I your learning. Enjoy.

Official Cat of Soonet
04-18-2015, 02:10 PM
You pay them the amount they would work in an average week, based on an aggregate of a previous time frame; say, the past month.

Given the situation, Walmart is doing substantially more for their workers than 99% of companies would do, and yet you're desperately trying to paint Walmart as a horrible company.

Walmart is a horrible company. They don't put prices on much of their merchandise but they are smart and make money.

BFLPE
04-18-2015, 04:43 PM
They should have thought about that before skipping school or forgetting to do their homework.Good point Britt.

BFLPE
04-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Two months severance/leave doesn't sound bad at all. That makes up for the lack of notice IMO.

BFLPE
04-18-2015, 04:53 PM
And that is why unions exist.I think unions were around before Walmart. Unions are why places like Walmart exist perhaps.

The Voice
04-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Walmart exists because people want cheap Crap.

Instant gratification with the least amount of effort that's what our society has become.

Most people wouldn't recognize quality if it ran them over with a truck. All they see is the price tag.

KDawg
04-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Walmart exists because people want cheap Crap.

Instant gratification with the least amount of effort that's what our society has become.

Most people wouldn't recognize quality if it ran them over with a truck. All they see is the price tag.
This is true. I went there to buy a winter shovel and the best I could find (that I didn't buy) was some made-in-China pos -- the aluminum head was only a few steps above thick tinfoil.

dancingqueen
04-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Oh gen x.... you guys seem to forget that the world has changed from the days when you could walk into a high paying job with little more than a high school education....

Barry Morris
04-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Oh gen x.... you guys seem to forget that the world has changed from the days when you could walk into a high paying job with little more than a high school education....

Why would he forget it?? He's a professional.

Sure it's harder to get a good job even with education. But it's MUCH harder without that degree.

dancingqueen
04-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Why would he forget it?? He's a professional.

Sure it's harder to get a good job even with education. But it's MUCH harder without that degree.

Because he doesn't have to remember anymore, It's so much easier to lay an unfounded blame on an imaginary situation than it is to actually think of solutions in a dignified way. I'll bet if you polled Sault Ste. Marie, you would find a significant enough amount of adults that are working at Wal-Mart or some other McJob have at least post secondary education to render his little jab a non sequitur.

Barry Morris
04-18-2015, 07:37 PM
One more point. He's certainly nowhere near a generation older than you.

dancingqueen
04-18-2015, 07:42 PM
One more point. He's certainly nowhere near a generation older than you.

He is gen X
I am a millennial
barely, but I am...There is a generation gap.

Barry Morris
04-18-2015, 07:44 PM
He is gen X
I am a millennial

Oh?? Aren't millenials born in 2000 or later??

Nope. I see. Gen X 1965 and up, Milllenials 1982 and up.

Near as I can tell, your age difference is no more than 10 years.

And I do feel that "generation gap" is often an excuse.

Hans
04-18-2015, 08:27 PM
You take the square root of 'take this free money' and divide it by 'or leave it.'

There is no such thing as free money.

Hans
04-18-2015, 08:42 PM
You pay them the amount they would work in an average week, based on an aggregate of a previous time frame; say, the past month.

Given the situation, Walmart is doing substantially more for their workers than 99% of companies would do, and yet you're desperately trying to paint Walmart as a horrible company.

You should watch the following documentary: Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
Also, you should ask yourself why there are no Walmart stores in Germany.
Did you know approx 70% of it's employees leave within their fist year?
You should also Google "operation rollback". It is the code name for a Federal operation.

But I am sure they are a very good employer.

Guess Who?
04-18-2015, 09:18 PM
He is gen X
I am a millennial

Oh?? Aren't millenials born in 2000 or later??

Nope. I see. Gen X 1965 and up, Milllenials 1982 and up.

Near as I can tell, your age difference is no more than 10 years.

And I do feel that "generation gap" is often an excuse.
Sociologically, generations are not defined by age or the year in which you were born, but rather based on shared life experiences.

Anapeg
04-18-2015, 09:27 PM
My point wasn't if their business practices are palatable or not.

Mine was...

RWGR
04-19-2015, 11:42 AM

It took me nine years to finish my degree, because I raised a daughter and worked forty-plus hours a week and took classes on my lunch hour for years.

That is "walking into a high-paying job"?

RWGR
04-19-2015, 11:44 AM
There is no such thing as free money.

Unless you feel that 'work-for-a-living' gig is not for you, and you petition the government to support you...which they will gladly do.

RWGR
04-19-2015, 11:46 AM
He is gen X
I am a millennial

Not you per se, DQ, but you know what your generation's problem is? You're pissed off you have to walk away from your computer games and get a job.

Hans
04-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Unless you feel that 'work-for-a-living' gig is not for you, and you petition the government to support you...which they will gladly do.

That is still not free. That money came from people who worked and contributed to the system.

dancingqueen
04-19-2015, 10:32 PM
It took me nine years to finish my degree, because I raised a daughter and worked forty-plus hours a week and took classes on my lunch hour for years.

Most people of your generation walked into a very comfortable livable salary once they left whatever school they felt like living.
How many years after you graduate did you have to wait before you got your job?
Currently, to teach, it is about 8-10 years of being on call.

dancingqueen
04-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Not you per se, DQ, but you know what your generation's problem is? You're pissed off you have to walk away from your computer games and get a job.

Can you substantiate that?
Or are you just going to sit in your ivory tower making up stories?

BFLPE
04-19-2015, 10:43 PM
Are you still on this 'poor me' generation thing DQ? My goodness, many have given examples that contradict what you think it was like. The difference being we lived it.

It may be true that education has become more important but this idea that it was easy to get a high paying career that would set you up for life with little to no education is simply wrong. You have to go back a few more generations for that and even then, though formal education of the type required today wasn't needed people didn't just quit school after grade 8 and jump into a high paying career. People started at the bottom and worked their way up. If you think about it that's not really that different than someone getting educated today but not getting the high paying job they wanted immediately after finishing their formal education.

The biggest thing that changed over the years, IMO, is that each generation feels more entitled and gets more whiny when things don't go as easy as we would all like.

I posted this before but back in the 80's I remember highly educated people working at the gas station and the convenience store because the jobs they had got educated for weren't in high demand at the time. I'm sure they eventually succeeded in their chosen field but it didn't happen immediately.

One thing that will never change is that people who want to succeed will find a way and losers will find an excuse.

Barry Morris
04-19-2015, 11:16 PM
...One thing that will never change is that people who want to succeed will find a way and losers will find an excuse.

Always true!!!

dancingqueen
04-20-2015, 03:30 AM
Are you still on this 'poor me' generation thing DQ? My goodness, many have given examples that contradict what you think it was like. The difference being we lived it.

It may be true that education has become more important but this idea that it was easy to get a high paying career that would set you up for life with little to no education is simply wrong. You have to go back a few more generations for that and even then, though formal education of the type required today wasn't needed people didn't just quit school after grade 8 and jump into a high paying career. People started at the bottom and worked their way up. If you think about it that's not really that different than someone getting educated today but not getting the high paying job they wanted immediately after finishing their formal education.

The biggest thing that changed over the years, IMO, is that each generation feels more entitled and gets more whiny when things don't go as easy as we would all like.

I posted this before but back in the 80's I remember highly educated people working at the gas station and the convenience store because the jobs they had got educated for weren't in high demand at the time. I'm sure they eventually succeeded in their chosen field but it didn't happen immediately.

One thing that will never change is that people who want to succeed will find a way and losers will find an excuse.

And now, the OPPORTUNITIES are simply not available... this is the point I am ALWAYS making, but never addressed.
In your days you could walk into a job out of high school and work your way to the top. Now, people working out of high school are strung along on part time or occasional contracts for as long as they are able to put up with that.
Examples aren't worth a damn unless you have evidence to back that up, it doesn't matter how much you want you anecdotal examples to matter, they do not in the real world.
This generation got screwed, and it is because your generation was so greedy.

dancingqueen
04-20-2015, 03:30 AM
Always true!!!

P.S.
Anecdotal evidence is not worth the bytes used to type it out....

Official Cat of Soonet
04-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Good point Britt.

:) Damn towing companies #teambritt #imontv

Official Cat of Soonet
04-20-2015, 08:14 AM
P.S.
Anecdotal evidence is not worth the bytes used to type it out....

The opportunities are endless. Unfortunately so are the excuses. I see which path you choose.

Anapeg
04-20-2015, 09:13 AM
DQ, one need not sit and wait for an opportunity to come to them, they can make their own.

RWGR
04-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Most people of your generation walked into a very comfortable livable salary once they left whatever school they felt like living.
How many years after you graduate did you have to wait before you got your job?
Currently, to teach, it is about 8-10 years of being on call.

I was hired before I got my degree. Why? Because I took a long-term subbing job in a classroom few teachers would enter. The most troubled, violent kids in the district. But I knew taking that job would help get my foot in the door, and it did.

RWGR
04-20-2015, 09:31 AM
That is still not free. That money came from people who worked and contributed to the system.

my point being it is free to the people who are given the money

Guess Who?
04-20-2015, 09:33 AM

Touche

BFLPE
04-20-2015, 09:43 AM
And now, the OPPORTUNITIES are simply not available... this is the point I am ALWAYS making, but never addressed.
In your days you could walk into a job out of high school and work your way to the top. Now, people working out of high school are strung along on part time or occasional contracts for as long as they are able to put up with that.
Examples aren't worth a damn unless you have evidence to back that up, it doesn't matter how much you want you anecdotal examples to matter, they do not in the real world.
This generation got screwed, and it is because your generation was so greedy.I know people of your generation who are doing quite well so opportunities do exist.

Very few of my generation could walk into a job out of high school and work their way to the top. That may have been true for the boomers but things change. My generation is currently in the prime of life and very few without education are at the top.

If you think my generation screwed your generation then I doubt anything thing will change your mind. I do wonder if you have evidence to back that up though.

I would imagine that each generation has had it easier in some ways and harder in others. Who has had it harder overall I neither know or care. The simple fact is that anyone willing to work at it will be able to make a decent life for themselves.

Guess Who?
04-20-2015, 09:43 AM
This generation got screwed, and it is because your generation was so greedy.

All four of my kids are meaningfully employed and making a decent living at a single job, not minimum wage by any means. Two coppleted university, one community college, and the other simply high school, yet al had no problem finding work. They are your age or younger (34, 33, 27, and 26). No one handed them a job, but they went out and got it, ... and not after years of struggling. Anecdotal isn't what it is, it is fact that we don't care to waste bytes to substanciate, .... ignore them if you want.

Nihilistic Heathen
04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
I know a couple people who have worked for Walmart since they started up in Canada. They are both in upper management positions now, they didn't see walmart as a dead end job worked their asses off and climbed the ranks. I also have friends that have children entering apprenticeships, good pay no student debt a lot of opportunities and bright future. The problem isn't that opportunities aren't available, they are there you are just not seeing them.

dancingqueen
04-20-2015, 12:15 PM
All four of my kids are meaningfully employed and making a decent living at a single job, not minimum wage by any means. Two coppleted university, one community college, and the other simply high school, yet al had no problem finding work. They are your age or younger (34, 33, 27, and 26). No one handed them a job, but they went out and got it, ... and not after years of struggling. Anecdotal isn't what it is, it is fact that we don't care to waste bytes to substanciate, .... ignore them if you want.

Do you even know what anecdotal evidence means?

Barry Morris
04-20-2015, 12:17 PM

Seems to.

dancingqueen
04-20-2015, 12:17 PM
I know a couple people who have worked for Walmart since they started up in Canada. They are both in upper management positions now, they didn't see walmart as a dead end job worked their asses off and climbed the ranks. I also have friends that have children entering apprenticeships, good pay no student debt a lot of opportunities and bright future. The problem isn't that opportunities aren't available, they are there you are just not seeing them.

And for every couple you know that succeeded, there are more that are leaving post secondary school with crippling debts that are unemployed or under employed.

dancingqueen
04-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Seems to.

Well I'm almost certain you don't know what it means so that's kinda the blind leading the blind...

Barry Morris
04-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Well I'm almost certain you don't know what it means so that's kinda the blind leading the blind...

And here am I doubting you know what assume means.

BFLPE
04-20-2015, 01:13 PM
DQ, when you paint with a broad brush and say simply that opportunities are not available anecdotal evidence is sufficient to discredit your assertion. Your statement that for every one that succeeds two have yet to succeed further refutes your own claim.

Nonetheless, do you have anything to back up your 2 for 1 claim or did you pull that out of thin air?

Official Cat of Soonet
04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
DQ, when you paint with a broad brush and say simply that opportunities are not available anecdotal evidence is sufficient to discredit your assertion. Your statement that for every one that succeeds two have yet to succeed further refutes your own claim.

Nonetheless, do you have anything to back up your 2 for 1 claim or did you pull that out of thin air?

Can the term 2 for 1 actually exist?

Guess Who?
04-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Considering I am in university and am carrying a 95% + average, based on the essays I have written with emperical evidence, ... I can discern types of evidence. Maybe that is your problem, ... an English class or two might have helped your cause.

Guess Who?
04-20-2015, 02:24 PM

I don't think that is where he pulled it from.

The Voice
04-20-2015, 09:53 PM
And for every couple you know that succeeded, there are more that are leaving post secondary school with crippling debts that are unemployed or under employed.

I bet they all have social worker degrees because that's what this country needs is more social workers.

I want to make money for talking to people.

I grew up on a farm. Most Millennials wouldn't know hard work if it ran them over with a tractor.

They walk around like zombies with their faces stuck in their phones.

Bluesky
04-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Considering I am in university and am carrying a 95% + average, based on the essays I have written with emperical evidence,

I'm guessing your spelling pulled your average down to 95%.

And then.. (lol) you said (lol).. gasp.. rotf..

an English class or two might have helped

CLASSIC!

Hans
04-20-2015, 10:09 PM
my point being it is free to the people who are given the money

Well no, because they are not allowed to have a paying job while they are given the money.
Hence it is not free money.

Guess Who?
04-20-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm guessing your spelling pulled your average down to 95%.

And then.. (lol) you said (lol).. gasp.. rotf..

CLASSIC!

Yep, you're right. A spelling error and two hyphens cost me a perfect 100% in English. Sucks to be almost perfect, but I'll take it.

RWGR
04-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Well no, because they are not allowed to have a paying job while they are given the money.
Hence it is not free money.

that makes no sense

stop while you're...behind

Official Cat of Soonet
04-21-2015, 10:09 AM
It's free money.

RWGR
04-21-2015, 06:31 PM
I googled it. It appears to be a book by Peter Grose... So if I'm following correctly, which I believe I am... Walmart started the Cold War.

LOL!

RWGR
04-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Also, you should ask yourself why there are no Walmart stores in Germany.

They don't sell enough armaments and ammunition for a country that's thrown the world into war twice in the last one hundred years?

Hans
04-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I will.

Is it because Germany is better than the rest of the world?

That's because having Walmart on your resume qualifies you for other awesome jobs. So there's no need to stay at Walmart.

I googled it. It appears to be a book by Peter Grose... So if I'm following correctly, which I believe I am... Walmart started the Cold War.

Germany: https://journalofinternationalmanagement.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/walmarts-downfall-in-germany-a-case-study/
Operation rollback: http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/23/news/companies/walmart_worker_arrests/

Hans
04-21-2015, 09:49 PM
They don't sell enough armaments and ammunition for a country that's thrown the world into war twice in the last one hundred years?

No, but it could have been this: http://ilsr.org/german-high-court-convicts-walmart-predatory-pricing/
Or also this: http://www.linklaters.com/Insights/Publication1403Newsletter/PublicationIssue20051214/Pages/PublicationIssueItem825.aspx

And maybe also this: http://www.dw.de/worlds-biggest-retailer-wal-mart-closes-up-shop-in-germany/a-2112746

Barry Morris
04-21-2015, 10:27 PM
No, but it could have been this: http://ilsr.org/german-high-court-convicts-walmart-predatory-pricing/
Or also this: http://www.linklaters.com/Insights/Publication1403Newsletter/PublicationIssue20051214/Pages/PublicationIssueItem825.aspx

And maybe also this: http://www.dw.de/worlds-biggest-retailer-wal-mart-closes-up-shop-in-germany/a-2112746

I especially like this:

"Wal-Mart appealed the regulator’s decision through a state court, which ruled in the company’s favor. The Cartel Office then appealed to the Supreme Court, which ruled that below cost pricing harms independent competitors and reduces competition over the long-term."

Makes you wonder about the actions of stores here, doesn't it??

RWGR
04-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Sorry, Hans, but Germany kind of burnt its bridges as far as being some place to emulate

Barry Morris
04-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Sorry, Hans, but Germany kind of burnt its bridges as far as being some place to emulate

Doesn't say much for the good old USA then.

RWGR
04-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Doesn't say much for the good old USA then.

Good point, after those two world wars we sta...

errrr....what??