PDA

View Full Version : The Slipper Slope Gets a Little More Grease

RWGR
06-19-2015, 08:42 AM
A study published this month in the Journal of Medical Ethics examined the “deliberate” euthanasia of patients in Belgium without their explicit, voluntary consent as required by law.

The study’s author, Raphael Cohen-Almagor, a professor of philosophy and ethics at the United Kingdom's Hull University, found that life-ending drugs were used “with the intention to shorten life and without explicit request” in 1.7 percent of all deaths in Belgium in 2013.

In 52.7 percent of these cases, the patients were 80 years of age or older. The decision to euthanize was not discussed with the patient in 77.9 percent of the cases because he/she was comatose, had dementia, or “because discussion would have been harmful to the patient’s best interest,” according to the study.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/abigail-wilkinson/belgian-doctors-are-euthanizing-patients-without-their-consent

Nihilistic Heathen
06-19-2015, 10:35 AM
A slippery slope indeed, if you read the study it also states it is down from 3.2% in 1998.

Barry Morris
06-19-2015, 10:38 AM
And I wonder how often it happens in North America.

Don't bother to claim it never happens.

Glad to see there's an improvement there, NH. But it's more sensational, and titillating to some people, to ignore that information.

RWGR
06-19-2015, 10:42 AM
A slippery slope indeed, if you read the study it also states it is down from 3.2% in 1998.

So we've come to the point that when the state kills less people than before it is considered progress.

Got to love the Left.

RWGR
06-19-2015, 10:42 AM

You claimed it happens. Back it up.

Barry Morris
06-19-2015, 11:24 AM
You claimed it happens. Back it up.

Oh, I don't think so.

Barry Morris
06-19-2015, 11:25 AM
So we've come to the point that when the state kills less people than before it is considered progress.

Got to love the Left.

As opposed to the right, who rarely give a damn.

RWGR
06-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Oh, I don't think so.

Exactly! :) :) :)

RWGR
06-19-2015, 03:21 PM
As opposed to the right, who rarely give a damn.

Source? Link?

Bluesky
06-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Source? Link?

Anecdotal. I worked as an orderly for four years on a medical ward, among other places. Euthanasia was not practiced per se, but it was a slow form of euthanasia, where patients who were given increasing doses of pain killers (morphine, etc) that would slow everything down.. in other words, they would speed death up rather than letting a patent linger. I watched it happen, and heard it being discussed between doctors and nurses.

I suspect that it still happens a lot. But I don't call that active euthanasia where a patient who is depressed because of a permanent condition (not necessarily fatal) requests a fatal does of something.
Or where a patient unable to decide for himself is terminated.

RWGR
06-19-2015, 03:38 PM
I just noticed something: I forgot the "y" in "slippery"

Now this thread has a whole other dimension 8)

Barry Morris
06-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Anecdotal. I worked as an orderly for four years on a medical ward, among other places. Euthanasia was not practiced per se, but it was a slow form of euthanasia, where patients who were given increasing doses of pain killers (morphine, etc) that would slow everything down.. in other words, they would speed death up rather than letting a patent linger. I watched it happen, and heard it being discussed between doctors and nurses.

I suspect that it still happens a lot. But I don't call that active euthanasia where a patient who is depressed because of a permanent condition (not necessarily fatal) requests a fatal does of something.
Or where a patient unable to decide for himself is terminated.

So "Got to love the Left" becomes pretty meaningless. Doctors are generally pretty right.

Nihilistic Heathen
06-19-2015, 05:29 PM

Got to love the Left.

I don't think this is a left vs right issue, it's an ethical issue. It's only a left vs right issue if you like to be a partisan fool.

The state is not killing people, some doctor's are making that choice without the patients consent. If you actually read the study you will see that Belgium euthanizes more people now than it did before passing the law. It does it less now without patient consent than it did before.

RWGR
06-20-2015, 10:06 AM
So "Got to love the Left" becomes pretty meaningless. Doctors are generally pretty right.

That makes no sense. Thanks for playing.

RWGR
06-20-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't think this is a left vs right issue, it's an ethical issue. It's only a left vs right issue if you like to be a partisan fool.

The state is not killing people, some doctor's are making that choice without the patients consent. If you actually read the study you will see that Belgium euthanizes more people now than it did before passing the law. It does it less now without patient consent than it did before.

Okay, let's pretend the Left isn't pro-euthanasia and the Right isn't against it.

Westender 3
06-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Okay, let's pretend the Left isn't pro-euthanasia and the Right isn't against it.

Nearly seven in 10 Americans (68%) say doctors should be legally allowed to assist terminally ill patients in committing suicide, up 10 percentage points from last year. More broadly, support for euthanasia has risen nearly 20 points in the last two years and stands at the highest level in more than a decade.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183425/support-doctor-assisted-suicide.aspx?utm_source=euthanasia&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=tiles

Wow, 68% of the U.S. are Libtards. Who knew. Except 61% of Republicans support assisted suicide in the same poll.

Barry Morris
06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
That makes no sense. Thanks for playing.

To you, obviously.

Barry Morris
06-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Nearly seven in 10 Americans (68%) say doctors should be legally allowed to assist terminally ill patients in committing suicide, up 10 percentage points from last year. More broadly, support for euthanasia has risen nearly 20 points in the last two years and stands at the highest level in more than a decade.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183425/support-doctor-assisted-suicide.aspx?utm_source=euthanasia&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=tiles

Wow, 68% of the U.S. are Libtards. Who knew. Except 61% of Republicans support assisted suicide in the same poll.

RW hates polls like that!! :) :) :)

Anapeg
06-20-2015, 04:48 PM

Glad to see there's an improvement there, NH. But it's more sensational, and titillating to some people, to ignore that information.

I have witnessed personally, three people die in this manner. One being my Mom. When it becomes evident someone is on their way out I see no problem with easing the departure.

RWGR
06-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Liberals control society now. Why would it be surprising the value of life is diminished under such circumstances?

RWGR
06-21-2015, 11:09 AM
RW hates polls like that!!

You're the greatest Catholic apologist I know, I can't be mad at you! :) :) ;)

Westender 3
06-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Liberals control society now. Why would it be surprising the value of life is diminished under such circumstances?

So, it's the Liberals fault that Conservatives support assisted suicide by 61%. That's some fine reasoning there. Party of personal responsibility indeed.

RWGR
06-22-2015, 04:44 PM
So, it's the Liberals fault that Conservatives support assisted suicide by 61%.

It's the liberals fault in as much as this is the culture they've always wanted, and now have: The Culture of Death. It's the conservatives fault who buy into this, and just accept it.

And by the way, the poll does not measure "conservative" opinion on this. It does measure Republican, which is not necessarily the same.

Unless you want to argue that all Republicans are socially conservative.

RWGR
06-22-2015, 04:51 PM
For results based on the sample of 497 national adults in Form A, the margin of sampling error is ±5 percentage points.

For results based on the sample of 527 national adults in Form B, the margins of sampling error is ±5 percentage points.

Taking the pulse of 0.00032% of adults in a country, and calling it a snapshot of how the country generally feels...what an exhaustive study!!

Barry Morris
06-23-2015, 11:57 AM
For results based on the sample of 497 national adults in Form A, the margin of sampling error is ±5 percentage points.

For results based on the sample of 527 national adults in Form B, the margins of sampling error is ±5 percentage points.

Taking the pulse of 0.00032% of adults in a country, and calling it a snapshot of how the country generally feels...what an exhaustive study!!

Since this represents the standards and practice of reputable polling organizations, you better NEVER us a study as proof again!!!

RWGR
06-23-2015, 12:12 PM
All studies use only a little over one thousand respondents?

Source? Link?

Barry Morris
06-23-2015, 12:14 PM
All studies use only a little over one thousand respondents?

Source? Link?

Surely you can prove this study is flawed, quite easily.

RWGR
06-23-2015, 12:16 PM
thank you for admitting you cannot back up your previous assertion