PDA

View Full Version : Piper (not the Pied)

Bluesky
06-20-2015, 03:22 PM
So let's get a real discussion going here. Barry left his church of over 40 years not because of heretical teaching. He left over a new pastor who was a John Piper fan...

I am curious to know what John Piper teaches that would cause anyone to leave a church.

Barry Morris
06-20-2015, 06:07 PM
So let's get a real discussion going here. Barry left his church of over 40 years not because of heretical teaching. He left over a new pastor who was a John Piper fan...

I am curious to know what John Piper teaches that would cause anyone to leave a church.

That is a mis-statement of my reasons.

Question. If a person sins, can it restrict another person from doing something that anyone else can freely do??

Bluesky
06-20-2015, 06:18 PM
You'd have to be less vague with your question..

Barry Morris
06-20-2015, 06:45 PM
You'd have to be less vague with your question..

Works the same for both genders.

A man is guilty of adultery. He divorces his wife and marries the other woman.

Can his ex-wife remarry??

Piper says no.

Bluesky
06-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Oh. OK. Well, we've agreed on that point.
Piper is wrong. His (former) church is right.

Hans
06-20-2015, 10:56 PM
The way I look at it: if a Pope can step down and another Pope get's elected, I don't see why you should not be able to step down from marriage and remarry.

RWGR
06-21-2015, 12:04 PM
The way I look at it: if a Pope can step down and another Pope get's elected, I don't see why you should not be able to step down from marriage and remarry.

please tell me this is a joke

Hans
06-21-2015, 08:44 PM
No, it is a point of view. Or are you stating it did not happen like that?

Bluesky
06-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Hans, I think RWGR and I are trying to see the connection between a pope stepping down, and the breakup of a marriage? That's a real headscratcher.

Hans
06-21-2015, 10:28 PM
I did not use the term breakup a marriage, I used the term step down from a marriage.
That makes it similar to a Pope stepping down, does it not?

Bluesky
06-21-2015, 11:55 PM
No. Marriage is bound by a covenant that promises a forever relationship - ie. Till death do you part.
Are you saying that the Pope is obligated by a covenant to remain in office till he dies?

I assumed that Stepping down from a marriage is the same as separation or divorce. What did you mean by stepping down from a marriage?

Hans
06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
"If it happens that the Roman Pontiff resigns his office, it is required for validity that the resignation is made freely and properly manifested but not that it is accepted by anyone."

Would that not be the same as stepping down from a marriage, which does not seem to be an accepted practice?

Bluesky
06-23-2015, 12:10 AM
Not the same at all.

RWGR
06-23-2015, 12:10 PM
No, it is a point of view. Or are you stating it did not happen like that?

I'm stating you are comparing apples to oranges

Barry Morris
06-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I did not use the term breakup a marriage, I used the term step down from a marriage.
That makes it similar to a Pope stepping down, does it not?

A marriage is a "one flesh" relationship, two halves making a whole.

The Pope's job is nothing like that.