PDA

View Full Version : Arctic ice 'grew by a third' after cool summer in 2013

RWGR
07-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Researchers say the growth continued in 2014 and more than compensated for losses recorded in the three previous years.

The scientists involved believe changes in summer temperatures have greater impacts on ice than thought.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33594654

You know, it just floors me: our weather vacillates between cool and warm.

I mean, it's shocking, really.

What next, the sun affects weather??

Anapeg
07-26-2015, 06:03 PM
It seems the projected mini ice age was misoverestimated, again.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/mini-ice-age-hoopla-giant-failure-science-communication

Barry Morris
07-26-2015, 06:15 PM
It seems the projected mini ice age was misoverestimated, again.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/mini-ice-age-hoopla-giant-failure-science-communication

So there's global warming?? Thanks!! :) :) :)

Anapeg
07-26-2015, 10:41 PM
So there's global warming?? Thanks!! :) :) :)

No, your camp has so horridly muddied the waters that even they are confused. It is too warm, the ice is melting and all will drown. No! Wait! It is too cold, we will all starve. Nope. That's not it either. Somebody help me massage these numbers to look bad.

RWGR
07-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Bingo!!

Barry Morris
07-27-2015, 10:34 AM
No, your camp has so horridly muddied the waters that even they are confused. It is too warm, the ice is melting and all will drown. No! Wait! It is too cold, we will all starve. Nope. That's not it either. Somebody help me massage these numbers to look bad.

I'm very sure there are those who "massage" the numbers for their own benefit, to keep their funding coming.

Those who deny the possibility of global warming are doing the same.

One thing I believe. Global warming IS a fact.

Therefore the oceans evaporate just a little faster.

Therefore there's more moisture at higher latitudes.

Therefore more snow falls in cooler weather.

Therefore arctic ice increases.

But that will only last so long.

We'll see.

By the way, I became a believer when I read the story about the "Lost Squadron". Check it out.

Anapeg
07-27-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm very sure there are those who "massage" the numbers for their own benefit, to keep their funding coming.

We'll see.

By the way, I became a believer when I read the story about the "Lost Squadron". Check it out.

I, for one, do not dispute there are oddities afoot, name them as you will. Neither do I dispute man possible exacerbating the problem. My interest wains when those such as yourself demand an all encompassing embrace of man being if not the sole contributor then certainly one of the top two contributors. What got us to this point should be overshadowed by what it takes to back away from the precipice. I have raised this point in the past but you and yours continue to follow RWGR's game of cat and mouse that he operates for his own amusement. Perhaps, just to avoid cluttering the BBS with different global warming/cooling posts one "sticky" might be created. You, RW and anyone else looking to while away an hour or two could simply, after an absence of two or three months join back in and never have missed a beat.

Barry Morris
07-27-2015, 01:12 PM
I, for one, do not dispute there are oddities afoot, name them as you will. Neither do I dispute man possible exacerbating the problem. My interest wains when those such as yourself demand an all encompassing embrace of man being if not the sole contributor then certainly one of the top two contributors. What got us to this point should be overshadowed by what it takes to back away from the precipice. I have raised this point in the past but you and yours continue to follow RWGR's game of cat and mouse that he operates for his own amusement. Perhaps, just to avoid cluttering the BBS with different global warming/cooling posts one "sticky" might be created. You, RW and anyone else looking to while away an hour or two could simply, after an absence of two or three months join back in and never have missed a beat.

Actually, I haven't interacted with the loser in about three weeks. And I've known for years he only posts to boost his ego.

You mention top contributors to global warming. I do think man can change the worlds average temperature. Note the peak in 1945 after WW2 clearly visible on global temperature graphs.

My question in all this is "just how much must man do to tip the balance??" I wonder if it's very much.

Meanwhile, global average temperatures rise.

Anapeg
07-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Actually, I haven't interacted with the loser in about three weeks. And I've known for years he only posts to boost his ego.

You mention top contributors to global warming. I do think man can change the worlds average temperature. Note the peak in 1945 after WW2 clearly visible on global temperature graphs.

My question in all this is "just how much must man do to tip the balance??" I wonder if it's very much.

Meanwhile, global average temperatures rise.

Indeed it does, lamenting that fact and a dollar and a half will get you a cup of coffee. I have read those demanding everything need be shut down. Obviously sending man back to wearing skins and living in the wild. It seems difficult if not impossible to get a rational response on this front. My fear, for the lack of a better word, having to gather all under a single government, a proportional representation or a coalition but a single entity none the less. This allows bullying or worse..

Barry Morris
07-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Indeed it does, lamenting that fact and a dollar and a half will get you a cup of coffee. I have read those demanding everything need be shut down. Obviously sending man back to wearing skins and living in the wild. It seems difficult if not impossible to get a rational response on this front. My fear, for the lack of a better word, having to gather all under a single government, a proportional representation or a coalition but a single entity none the less. This allows bullying or worse..

I agree about tree huggers.

They forget that WE are part of nature, too.

Anapeg
07-27-2015, 06:06 PM
It may well prove painful none the less.

RWGR
07-28-2015, 09:34 AM

We'll see.

And there you have it: Global Warming is proven by both less arctic ice and more arctic ice.

They've cornered the market.

RWGR
07-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Actually, I haven't interacted with the loser in about three weeks.

Still angry about Blue kicking you to the curb, eh?? :) :) :)

Barry Morris
07-28-2015, 01:06 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/07/27/climate-change-skeptics-may-be-about-to-lose-one-of-their-favorite-arguments/

"There’s no doubt that growing Antarctic sea ice is a mystery in the climate system — and an anomalous, seemingly contrary indicator. However, if a controversial and much-discussed new paper from famed former NASA scientist James Hansen and 16 colleagues is correct, then actually it could be a troubling climate warning sign. (Indeed, other scientists have reached similar conclusions.)"

RWGR
07-28-2015, 01:30 PM
of course...after all, need to make governments around the world believe the billions of dollars they've poured into the research of this alarmist farce was not in vain.

Too late. :) :) :)

Anapeg
08-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Even a minor adjustment in numbers of producers such as steel, lumber, middle distillates etc. etc. would hurt the consumer and supply and demand would fire up inflation to wicked levels. Driving less would reduce hydrocarbons but how does one get around without a vehicle? Buses? Cabs? Walk? It would make the commute interesting. Home heating would be effected so burning wood/coal etc. would be a necessity thus affecting weather. How in Gods name do you see this turning out, without hurting people and economies?