PDA

View Full Version : Toronto man denied subsidized housing for not being Muslim

Barry Morris
08-28-2015, 07:26 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/2185359/toronto-man-denied-subsidized-housing-for-not-being-muslim/

This is nuts. If anyone had housing for Christians only, the media would freak!!!

BFLPE
08-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Nuts it is. It doesn't just play to Muslims though.

While many attacked the idea that a subsidized residence could be restricted to Muslims only, it’s not the only location in Toronto that selects tenants based on religion or age.

The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”
http://globalnews.ca/news/2187517/toronto-city-councillor-says-muslim-only-subsidized-housing-is-acceptable/

Barry Morris
08-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Nuts it is. It doesn't just play to Muslims though.

While many attacked the idea that a subsidized residence could be restricted to Muslims only, it’s not the only location in Toronto that selects tenants based on religion or age.

The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2187517/toronto-city-councillor-says-muslim-only-subsidized-housing-is-acceptable/

Geared to, or denying admittance??

BFLPE
08-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Denied or not selected?

Barry Morris
08-28-2015, 11:12 PM
You said, "The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”

Does that mean that anyone else is denied admittance, or is it recommended to Christian seniors??

Actually, that's kinda funny. Imagine a younger non-Christian person moving into a place like that!! Not 5 minutes would go by in a day without somebody telling him about Jesus!!!

Anapeg
08-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Segregated housing is somewhat common place in Canada at least. Poor people live here, cripples live here, old folks live over there and so on. Our recognized as poor live on Capp, Willowdale, Second Line past Goulais. Old folks go to Chapple/Albion, And various nursing homes. Handicapped Old Garden River Road, Northern Ave and assorted group homes throughout town. I can see a need for housing that addresses Christians needs as they have a problem getting along with each other. (judging by their interaction here)

The Chronic Liar
08-29-2015, 01:42 AM
Why is this shocking? There has always been exceptions like this for special interest groups. It's not illegal and there is a provision in the human rights code for it. You can complain about individual houses all day but if you want to be angry about it, be angry that it's legal.

And just a note to Anapeg, there is a difference between poor neighbourhoods and segregated housing like the one featured in the story. Poor people live in those neighbourhoods because they can't afford to live anywhere else, not because they aren't allowed.

IMHO
08-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Try getting into the ITALIAN PALACE on the waterfront behind the library....unless you are Italian.

Barry Morris
08-29-2015, 09:51 AM
...... I can see a need for housing that addresses Christians needs as they have a problem getting alone with each other. (judging by their interaction here)

IMO, there's only one Anapeg. I wouldn't have done near as well in the sound business if I didn't get along with Christians of different denominations.

Lance1
08-29-2015, 09:54 AM
The guy should rap a towel around his head and blow up a parked car ,then they would let him in the building.

BFLPE
08-29-2015, 03:50 PM
You said, "The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”

Does that mean that anyone else is denied admittance, or is it recommended to Christian seniors??

Actually, that's kinda funny. Imagine a younger non-Christian person moving into a place like that!! Not 5 minutes would go by in a day without somebody telling him about Jesus!!!
I didn't 'say' that, I qouted what a city councillor stated. If you put it into context with the rest of his statement it suggests one must be a Christian senior to live there.

I found another source that lists a minimum age and being Christian as requirements, so yes, I would think they would deny residence to those who don't meet the requirements.

I don't think it's right to limit any public subsidized housing to people of a certain religion but apparently it's pretty common.

RWGR
08-30-2015, 10:20 AM
IMO, there's only one Anapeg. I wouldn't have done near as well in the sound business if I didn't get along with Christians of different denominations.

Oh, I'm sure that has happened :) :) :)

The Chronic Liar
08-30-2015, 01:16 PM
IMO, there's only one Anapeg.

I think there is only one Anapeg as well.

Anapeg
08-30-2015, 04:32 PM
I think there is only one Anapeg as well.

Thank you, kind sir.

RWGR
08-30-2015, 05:25 PM
More like "Thank you, dear Lord"

:) :) :)

Barry Morris
08-30-2015, 07:12 PM
You guys get so much mileage out of typos, I don't bother fixing them!!!

The Chronic Liar
08-30-2015, 07:35 PM
You guys get so much mileage out of typos, I don't bother fixing them!!!

What are you talking about? I didn't notice any mistakes.

Barry Morris
08-30-2015, 08:35 PM
What are you talking about? I didn't notice any mistakes.

Talk to stupefied. He can help.

Magneto
08-31-2015, 01:43 AM
It caters to a specific following of the Muslim faith; Ahmadi Muslim

According to Wiki; Ahmadi Muslims subscribe to the same beliefs as the majority of Muslims, but with a difference of opinion on the meaning of Khatam an-Nabiyyin. The six articles of faith are identical to those believed in by Sunni Muslims, and are based on traditions of Muhammad:

It's like comparing a Roman Catholic to a United-Christian. Both have similar core beliefs, based on Christianity... but the similarities end there. Christians, baptized, believe in God... but "different" in how they do things.

Yeah... they're Muslims, but they aren't "regular" Muslims.

I'd say, given Toronto's by-laws.... this plays legally....
Its not just "any" Muslim that can go there...

The whole issue as is, has been blown out of proportion because the person bumped off the list was in a wheel-chair, and that building is wheel-chair accessible. Both he, and his mother... started spouting off about "Muslims" and it not being right.... when in fact, its a non-racist thing at all... Christians have a building, Orthodox Greek, Orthodox Lithuanians... etc those are some "specific" groups within the Christian/Catholic religions... a specific group within the Muslim beliefs have filed to have their own..... and they got it.... fair and square...

It just sucks the guy in the wheelchair now has to find a different place to apply to... what about the other people bumped off that list for that building --- they didn't make a big stink about it...

The wheelchair was the sensationalism the article needed to throw Muslims under the bus. Pay attention to the wheelchair, and the mom yelling about Muslims, and screaming that its unfair.... disregard the facts about Toronto... and the fact that they aren't just "regular" Muslims...

The Chronic Liar
08-31-2015, 05:31 PM
It caters to a specific following of the Muslim faith; Ahmadi Muslim

According to Wiki; Ahmadi Muslims subscribe to the same beliefs as the majority of Muslims, but with a difference of opinion on the meaning of Khatam an-Nabiyyin. The six articles of faith are identical to those believed in by Sunni Muslims, and are based on traditions of Muhammad:

It's like comparing a Roman Catholic to a United-Christian. Both have similar core beliefs, based on Christianity... but the similarities end there. Christians, baptized, believe in God... but "different" in how they do things.

Yeah... they're Muslims, but they aren't "regular" Muslims.

I'd say, given Toronto's by-laws.... this plays legally....
Its not just "any" Muslim that can go there...

The whole issue as is, has been blown out of proportion because the person bumped off the list was in a wheel-chair, and that building is wheel-chair accessible. Both he, and his mother... started spouting off about "Muslims" and it not being right.... when in fact, its a non-racist thing at all... Christians have a building, Orthodox Greek, Orthodox Lithuanians... etc those are some "specific" groups within the Christian/Catholic religions... a specific group within the Muslim beliefs have filed to have their own..... and they got it.... fair and square...

It just sucks the guy in the wheelchair now has to find a different place to apply to... what about the other people bumped off that list for that building --- they didn't make a big stink about it...

The wheelchair was the sensationalism the article needed to throw Muslims under the bus. Pay attention the wheelchair, and the mom yelling about Muslims, and screaming that its unfair.... disregard the facts about Toronto... and the fact that they aren't just "regular" Muslims...

This couldn't be any closer to the truth

Anapeg
08-31-2015, 07:02 PM
More like "Thank you, dear Lord"

:) :) :)

I can appreciate your sentiment, not as you intended but none the less.

Magneto
09-02-2015, 01:28 PM
This couldn't be any closer to the truth

I try good sir.... I try. :) My words may be rough, but I do try to give a heaping spoonful of the truth even if it tastes bitter and acrid.

I'll outright say that the journalist who wrote this article is a hack at his job. He obviously subscribes to the belief that the news is no place for the truth. I feel sorry for the Muslim community for now being viewed in such a negative light, over something they have absolutely no part in.

It amazes me all the comments under the article and the ignorance displayed. Toronto has 8 different specific housing accommodations and people have a problem with a specific Muslim order having accommodations. The ones screaming racist are the racists. There's one person in that comments section who doesn't seem to have his eyes closed, and understands that the Ahmadi aren't "all" Muslims... and has been repeating himself numerous times with comments and it doesn't seem to reach the closed minds of the keyboard warriors making comments.

The internet is a powerful tool; we have the ability to research, learn and make independent thought decisions. But it seems that using the lemmings running off the cliff because everyone else is running in that direction approach..... seems soooooooooooo much easier.... "Hey guys... lets follow them.... they seem to know where they're going."