PDA

View Full Version : To the guy driving the white Honda, I think

Hans
08-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Congratulations, you were able to keep up on a Wallace Terrace run last Friday.
You are the first person to ever do that.

Very pleasant surprise, both on the run and the performance of your car.
I am impressed.

Barry Morris
08-30-2015, 08:52 AM

I am impressed.

That's not a big deal, Hans. All it takes is a total disregard for the law.

Perhaps someday you'll meet someone whose vehicle is both bigger AND faster, who will take you into the next phone pole.

BFLPE
08-30-2015, 10:10 AM
A wallace terrace run, lol.

You're a mad man Hans.

_daynzy
08-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Hahah a Honda kept up? Were you riding an e-bike?

Hans
08-30-2015, 05:49 PM
I am telling you, I was just as surprised as you are. I had to really push it down to catch up with him.

Hans
08-30-2015, 05:50 PM
That's not a big deal, Hans. All it takes is a total disregard for the law.

Perhaps someday you'll meet someone whose vehicle is both bigger AND faster, who will take you into the next phone pole.

It would need to be a small vehicle.

KDawg
08-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Whatever turns you on.

Hans
08-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Some people go fishing for fun, some people go camping for fun.
I do runs for fun.

The Chronic Liar
08-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Some people go fishing for fun, some people go camping for fun.
I do runs for fun.

You are one odd duck but in a good way.

Barry Morris
08-30-2015, 07:10 PM

Oh?? Why is that??

Hans
08-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Oh?? Why is that??

Laws of physics. The less the vehicle weighs, the better it usually accelerates.
So, small vehicle.

Magneto
08-31-2015, 12:50 AM
Laws of physics. The less the vehicle weighs, the better it usually accelerates.
So, small vehicle.

Perhaps questionable... not nitpicking... but just saying.... acceleration from a heavy ass big block car or a pick-up is possible... how long is your run... and who's going to tap out first is the big question... there are some sleepers out there... haha

Are you on 2 wheels or 4?

Barry Morris
08-31-2015, 07:42 AM
So, small vehicle.

You've never driven a chipped diesel four wheel drive pickup, have you???

Hans
08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Perhaps questionable... not nitpicking... but just saying.... acceleration from a heavy ass big block car or a pick-up is possible... how long is your run... and who's going to tap out first is the big question... there are some sleepers out there... haha

Are you on 2 wheels or 4?

4 wheels, most of the time.

Hans
08-31-2015, 04:45 PM

Sure they have a lot of torque, but do they have the suspension to handle the uneven pavement at high speed?

Anapeg
08-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Sure they have a lot of torque, but do they have the suspension to handle the uneven pavement at high speed?

Most diesel 4X4's are by definition, set up for performing well in the rough.

Hans
08-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Stability and performing well in the rough are 2 very different things.

Anapeg
08-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Hardly. Try having one without the other.

Hans
08-31-2015, 05:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFH39T0Z0WI

Barry Morris
08-31-2015, 06:21 PM

I just knew you would move the goal posts.

We we talking about Wallace Terrace. Some idiot in a high powered pickup could easily catch your Japanese car, and FYI, there ain't any phone poles in the bush.

Barry Morris
08-31-2015, 06:23 PM

Interesting. But.

If there had been flat pavement, instead of a ditch, that truck would have spun, instead of rolling.

AND a car would do exactly the same thing!!!!

Anapeg
08-31-2015, 06:59 PM

This has little to do with handling and more to do with lack of ability. Apples and oranges Hans.

Hans
08-31-2015, 07:51 PM
I just knew you would move the goal posts.

We we talking about Wallace Terrace. Some idiot in a high powered pickup could easily catch your Japanese car, and FYI, there ain't any phone poles in the bush.

What's the 0 to 100 K on your high powered pickup truck?

Hans
08-31-2015, 07:54 PM
This has little to do with handling and more to do with lack of ability. Apples and oranges Hans.

Not really. He lost control because the power caused the rear to spin out, forcing him into the ditch.
If you look at the initial take off you will see a huge amount of rear wheel spin, with no spin whatsoever on the front wheels.
A well balanced vehicle with a proper weight distribution and torque distribution system would have prevented the back wheels from getting out of control like that, moving torque to the front where the weight is.

IMHO
08-31-2015, 07:55 PM
I think Hans is into AUTO EROTICA.

Hans
08-31-2015, 07:56 PM
You should google that before writing. Would have saved you an uhhhh? moment.

IMHO
08-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Keep your hands on the wheel hans lol

Hans
08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel.

The Chronic Liar
08-31-2015, 08:50 PM

And not long after, put your hands upon your car and spread 'em

KDawg
08-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, we're going to the roadhouse, gonna have a real good time.

Barry Morris
08-31-2015, 09:20 PM
What's the 0 to 100 K on your high powered pickup truck?

You know, I've never seen anybody speak of 0 to 60 K. Sometimes 0 to 100 mph.

But here's a couple to estimate from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQHtu_jp5p4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi6X1zOIQw

And it really doesn't matter how fast you get, there is always someone who will be faster.

Barry Morris
08-31-2015, 09:21 PM
....A well balanced vehicle with a proper weight distribution and torque distribution system would have prevented the back wheels from getting out of control like that, moving torque to the front where the weight is.

I think I'm leaving laughing!!! :) :) :)

riggs
08-31-2015, 09:43 PM

I have and the gear ratio is not set up for high end performance

Barry Morris
08-31-2015, 10:23 PM
I have and the gear ratio is not set up for high end performance

Oh?? Never heard of ordering a different ratio?? Or installing a different one?

riggs
08-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Oh?? Never heard of ordering a different ratio?? Or installing a different one?

I have, but your original post only mentioned a chip mod and no other......

Hans
08-31-2015, 10:42 PM
I think I'm leaving laughing!!! :) :) :)

I suggest you youtube Nissan GTR to get an idea of what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9ee6RXfmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTppVOQCh3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XrusywWX0

That's a 3.8 liter V6 engine. Good luck with your chipped diesel on a real road.
If you take the time to watch the video of the GTR toying with the the 2 diesel trucks, you will notice the GTR's electronics keeping the car under control rather than having it spin out of control.

Barry Morris
09-01-2015, 08:12 AM
I think Hans is into AUTO EROTICA.

I think you nailed it.

Lot of guys out there who think their factory car is the absolute be all and end all.

BFLPE
09-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Lots of fools out there who spend silly amounts of money on something they drive to work and the grocery store.

IMHO
09-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Did you ever notice that some of these BIG TRUCKS are driven by LITTLE MEN ?

BFLPE
09-01-2015, 09:33 AM
A lot of people with no money driving expensive cars is what gets me. It's not an investment, it's not a status symbol. It's just transportation. I know people with huge vehicle payments who are behind in their bills. Silly.

On the other hand, if you can afford it and it's your 'thing', enjoy.

Barry Morris
09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
A lot of people with no money driving expensive cars is what gets me. It's not an investment, it's not a status symbol. It's just transportation. I know people with huge vehicle payments who are behind in their bills. Silly.

On the other hand, if you can afford it and it's your 'thing', enjoy.

I had my greatest enjoyment FIXING my old truck. Have an 81 Ford van that I replaced EVERYTHING on, except the bare body and frame!!

Magneto
09-01-2015, 12:34 PM
You know, I've never seen anybody speak of 0 to 60 K. Sometimes 0 to 100 mph.

But here's a couple to estimate from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQHtu_jp5p4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi6X1zOIQw

And it really doesn't matter how fast you get, there is always someone who will be faster.

There are tons of references for 0-60mph and 0-100mph times in vehicles. Perhaps what he meant was 0-60mph... which translates to 0-100km

I'll bet $100 that even if you had a Cummins Turbo truck... you're nowhere even close to the power these guys in the videos you posted are putting down, and you're nowhere even close to a 10 second quarter mile. So... what are you comparing? What are you estimating? You're estimating against a caged, drag slicked, extensively modified with cam, head, fuel delivery system, turbo(s) and custom tune... that probably also runs Nitrous and Propane injection, with an overhauled and built transmission.. to a CTD with a chip? Completely out of your league for comparison purposes.

Comparing a drag prepped diesel truck to a street diesel truck is like comparing a Barrett .50 CAL to a Remington .22 CAL --- only thing they have in common: they both run diesel fuel, and they both go "bang". That's where the similarities end.

Quite a few of you truck owners crack me up.... you think you got something fast that can perform -- but you all make the same mistake.... you lift it and add bigger tires and add a million lights and additional batteries to your trucks. Meanwhile, all the PERFORMANCE guys lower their trucks and go with wider tires, sway-bars, trac bars... and make their trucks lighter by removing useless accessories.... etc.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not gunning down truck owners.... I am one.

Barry Morris
09-01-2015, 01:54 PM
There are tons of references for 0-60mph and 0-100mph times in vehicles. Perhaps what he meant was 0-60mph... which translates to 0-100km

I'll bet $100 that even if you had a Cummins Turbo truck... you're nowhere even close to the power these guys in the videos you posted are putting down, and you're nowhere even close to a 10 second quarter mile. So... what are you comparing? What are you estimating? You're estimating against a caged, drag slicked, extensively modified with cam, head, fuel delivery system, turbo(s) and custom tune... that probably also runs Nitrous and Propane injection, with an overhauled and built transmission.. to a CTD with a chip? Completely out of your league for comparison purposes.

Comparing a drag prepped diesel truck to a street diesel truck is like comparing a Barrett .50 CAL to a Remington .22 CAL --- only thing they have in common: they both run diesel fuel, and they both go "bang". That's where the similarities end.

Quite a few of you truck owners crack me up.... you think you got something fast that can perform -- but you all make the same mistake.... you lift it and add bigger tires and add a million lights and additional batteries to your trucks. Meanwhile, all the PERFORMANCE guys lower their trucks and go with wider tires, sway-bars, trac bars... and make their trucks lighter by removing useless accessories.... etc.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not gunning down truck owners.... I am one.

It all depends what you want to do.

Street, mudding, hill climb, drag race, there's really little comparison to a street car.

Hans
09-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I think you nailed it.

Lot of guys out there who think their factory car is the absolute be all and end all.

The GTR is a stock factory car.
A 2014 stock does 0-100K in 2.8 seconds and the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds.

Go ahead, bring out your pimped up diesel truck on city streets and watch what happens against a stock GTR.

_daynzy
09-01-2015, 10:28 PM
you have a gtr?

Barry Morris
09-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Whoopee.

Magneto
09-02-2015, 01:07 PM
The GTR is a stock factory car.
A 2014 stock does 0-100K in 2.8 seconds and the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds.

Go ahead, bring out your pimped up diesel truck on city streets and watch what happens against a stock GTR.

Just saying.... Wasn't the GTR also the same car who's launch control system actually breaks the car and voids the warranty if it was used as it was intended?

Being fair though... keep the high speed tom-foolery to the track.... get it off the streets.

It all depends what you want to do.

Street, mudding, hill climb, drag race, there's really little comparison to a street car.

Barry, you were the one that posted those links for 10 second diesel trucks -- and none of them were offroad, mudding or hill climb. You were comparing straight line performance to straight line performance. All I'm saying is... the diesel drag trucks you mentioned for time comparisons all have one thing in common -- they have over $10,000 in transmission work done to them to be able to withstand 1000+ ft. lbs of torque being put to the ground instantaneously. Achieving the 1000+ ft. lbs of torque also requires $15-20K in engine work. No doubt diesels are capable of generating big power numbers - but you need to spend big dollars to get there: big single turbos or sequential twin turbos, a ported or aftermarket exhaust manifold, larger intercooler, high flow air intake, high volume injectors and lift pumps, bigger cam, a 6"+ exhaust system, a programmable engine management system, and lots of time on the dyno with someone who knows how to tune the system to squeeze out every ounce of power efficiently and effectively.
LOTS OF TIME AND MONEY.... LOTS AND LOTS OF IT.... usually these trucks are a second or a third toy for a person, and they're either in debt up to their eyeballs... or they're a very successful 6-figure income type of person.

I'm just going by the links you posted -- and what you posted was some drag prepped diesel trucks, to use as an estimation comparison.

Barry Morris
09-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Just saying.... Wasn't the GTR also the same car who's launch control system actually breaks the car and voids the warranty if it was used as it was intended?

Being fair though... keep the high speed tom-foolery to the track.... get it off the streets.

Barry, you were the one that posted those links for 10 second diesel trucks -- and none of them were offroad, mudding or hill climb. You were comparing straight line performance to straight line performance. All I'm saying is... the diesel drag trucks you mentioned for time comparisons all have one thing in common -- they have over $10,000 in transmission work done to them to be able to withstand 1000+ ft. lbs of torque being put to the ground instantaneously. Achieving the 1000+ ft. lbs of torque also requires $15-20K in engine work. No doubt diesels are capable of generating big power numbers - but you need to spend big dollars to get there: big single turbos or sequential twin turbos, a ported or aftermarket exhaust manifold, larger intercooler, high flow air intake, high volume injectors and lift pumps, bigger cam, a 6"+ exhaust system, a programmable engine management system, and lots of time on the dyno with someone who knows how to tune the system to squeeze out every ounce of power efficiently and effectively.
LOTS OF TIME AND MONEY.... LOTS AND LOTS OF IT.... usually these trucks are a second or a third toy for a person, and they're either in debt up to their eyeballs... or they're a very successful 6-figure income type of person.

I'm just going by the links you posted -- and what you posted was some drag prepped diesel trucks, to use as an estimation comparison.

Of course. My only point is that, no matter how fast you think your car is, someone can be faster.

It's an old question. Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go.

Chachinga
09-02-2015, 05:06 PM
The Wallace terrace drag races! lol
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hTJZTua4Tu0/hqdefault.jpg

Hans
09-03-2015, 06:19 AM

The previous generation GTR 2009 model did not actually have a launch control, but there was a way to do a launch control by disabling certain functions.
Since it was not officially supported it voided warranty if you had damage caused by using that method. typically you would damage your transmission.
the new generation has a dual clutch upgraded transmission.

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-nissans-gt-r-launch-control-warranty-settlement/

Magneto
09-03-2015, 02:30 PM
The previous generation GTR 2009 model did not actually have a launch control, but there was a way to do a launch control by disabling certain functions.
Since it was not officially supported it voided warranty if you had damage caused by using that method. typically you would damage your transmission.
the new generation has a dual clutch upgraded transmission.

http://jalopnik.com/5565919/this-is-nissans-gt-r-launch-control-warranty-settlement/

I knew it was something like that. I hazed on the details. :)

The GTR is a nice car, no doubt.
It's taking some time, but eventually North American automakers will _finally_ catch on that forced induction is the way to go. Smaller displacement with boost = big displacement and power.

Ford's figuring that out with the Ecoboost.....

_daynzy
09-03-2015, 08:46 PM
There's no replacement for displacement.

Hans
09-03-2015, 10:44 PM
They use 1.6 liter engines in formula 1, and those cars go pretty good.

_daynzy
09-03-2015, 11:18 PM
When your GTR wants a real challenge let me know.

Hans
09-03-2015, 11:34 PM
You have an F1 car?

_daynzy
09-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Yep.

Barry Morris
09-04-2015, 12:11 AM
They use 1.6 liter engines in formula 1, and those cars go pretty good.

I've got a good running truck that I use every day with 300,000 MILES on it (half a million km)

Call me when your car gets there.

Barry Morris
09-04-2015, 12:11 AM
The Wallace terrace drag races! lol
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hTJZTua4Tu0/hqdefault.jpg

Wrong kind of Mini.

Hans
09-04-2015, 07:43 AM
I've got a good running truck that I use every day with 300,000 MILES on it (half a million km)

Call me when your car gets there.

Goal post moving, interesting.

Barry Morris
09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Goal post moving, interesting.

Just another comment, Hans. The argument is long over.

Hans
09-04-2015, 08:29 PM
What argument? This thread started as a congratulations to a driver, not an argument.

Barry Morris
09-04-2015, 09:40 PM
What argument? This thread started as a congratulations to a driver, not an argument.

BS. It started as a slap upside the head!!!

Hans
09-06-2015, 01:02 AM
http://worldseriesdreaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/blog3-1024x576.jpg
BS. It started as a slap upside the head!!!

The Voice
09-20-2015, 08:34 PM

I am impressed.

I am pretty sure that once the right person at Vianet figures out that a moderator is encouraging Street Racing (which is Illegal in Ontario as you obviously need to be told) we will be talking about another EX Moderator.

Hans
09-21-2015, 10:47 PM
I am pretty sure there is freedom of speech in this country.

Anapeg
09-22-2015, 10:16 AM
I am pretty sure there is freedom of speech in this country.

To a point Hans, inciting anyone to perform illegal maneuvers on the city streets is illegal.

Hans
09-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Some people should be less salty. Just saying.